Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

The DX10 train has left the track

I sometimes wonder if people just call "support" when the slightest thing doesn't go right, instead of searching the forums and trying to find out the answer's themselves.

What's wrong with that? If I pay for support, I expect to solve me any problems I have with the product involved.

For example, my internet doesn't work, I do not touch anything, just call provider support and ask them to solve the problem. I pay for that support and for luxury to not think about anything. Just sit and use.

I support this guy for stopping the sale if he cannot provide service he offered. That's a vise and responsible business move. Hope he will go back in business as soon as he resolve the problem he has, as it seems the product is very popular.

Sure ...

but maybe we should bare in mind that an internet provider is being paid on a continuous level to keep up with support that every customer pays for continuously(!), as long as he/she wants to use this or that provider.

Now aside the fact that there is no guarantee that the support provided then really keeps what is promised, i think we can all agree, that this sort of "continuous payment method" simply allows for - potentially - better support, as for instance some people are getting employed just for the very reason of offering continuous support to paying customers.

On the other hand - such as in the case of the DX10 Fixer here, but also in the case of almost all other FS 3rd party add-ons, literally only one or two persons behind the scenes does/do it all almost alone and are furthermore only being paid for all of it only once then, whenever selling an add-on - but(!) they are not being paid for it on a continuous level (which would then - maybe - raise the chance to really offer continuous support all the time)

I think this is a crucial point which should really be remembered when somehow comparing apples and oranges which is certainly happening here in my opinion, when comparing Steve's great DX10 Fixer, which is being payed only once, to an internet provider, which is receiving continuous payment.

Now sure we may argue that software always receives updates and continuous support, even if it is being payed for only once - but then, in all due fairness, one fact has got to be pointed out clearly in this particular case:

For what is possible within the limitations of FSX's publicaly available code, Steve did a fantastic job of making DX10 alive and working properly!

I'd even go that far to say that, if further support or updates by Steve would have stopped immediately but just without taking the DX10 Fixer off the shelves of FSS completely, only a very small group of users would have actually noticed this lack of support and/or updates - because:

With the latest version of the DX10 Fixer, almost all issues appearing under DX10 in FSX which are "fixable" by a dedicated 3rd party developer, such as Steve certainly is, are being adressed and resolved.

So:

... what kind/sort of issues are now still remaining with the DX10 Fixer, that could not be solved by either reading the manual thoroughly or by doing some dedicated researching and reading on the internet and at the dedicated forums?

I'd say there are just a very few issues remaining and almost all questions have already been answered on the internet.

Therefore stretch1365's reply here makes a lot of sense to me and sounds real plausible.

I haven't had any email..With every update I received one.

Could you sent me a PM with the info ?

The same information is posted on his blog.

Why bother posting without a link?

Here it is!

Maybe because he doesn't believe in spoon feeding lazy buggers? :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Maybe because he doesn't believe in spoon feeding lazy buggers? :biggrin:

Rise above them and ignore them if you feel that way.

Wow I go away to P3D for six weeks and all hell has broken loose in the DX10 world  :huh:

Glad to be back with FSX and DX10 fixer. Much better than P3D. Sad to hear about Steve stopping sales for now. Hope he comes back - I also would not be using FSX anymore had it not been for this excellent program.

I've also been spending more time on other forums. This site is getting rather militant and unfriendly in places. At least we're all adults here on this forum :)

Cheers

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Welcome back Adam, just in case you hav'nt picked it up there is a new ver for the fixer, 2.3, also check out his web site as the was a file missing which you can download.

Bob

Welcome back Adam, just in case you hav'nt picked it up there is a new ver for the fixer, 2.3, also check out his web site as the was a file missing which you can download.

Bob

Thanks for the heads-up Bob :)

think I've got the latest version as I went to the flightsim shop to download it after I removed P3D but I'll check tonight - and also pick up that extra file.

Cheers

Adam

FSUK.jpg

As usual, I arrive at the station just in time to see the train pulling out. Just spent the morning convincing myself that the jump to DX10 would be a sensible move for me (given that I fly old FS9 a/c)  and now I find the opportunity's gone. That'll teach me. .

I have a cloud draw problem with version 2.3. I also see clouds being painted in the distance. I might have to go back to v 2.2. I just need a download. I can't find my backup. Shhh....

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Question:  what does this product do that we cannot do ourselves?

spacer.png

I have a cloud draw problem with version 2.3. I also see clouds being painted in the distance. I might have to go back to v 2.2. I just need a download. I can't find my backup. Shhh....

Problem rectified!

Question:  what does this product do that we cannot do ourselves?

I can tell you what it did for me.

It made FSX stable, smoother, and I get better performance. Plus, some cool features available only in DX10 mode.

http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/v2-3/

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I can tell you what it did for me.

It made FSX stable, smoother, and I get better performance. Plus, some cool features available only in DX10 mode.

+1

No more crashes, freezes or major stutters. Can fly with low fps and still enjoy the show unlike in the DX9 version.

FSUK.jpg

AND VC shadows, cool on a lot of planes.

Ah yes forgot that one! Adds to the immersion especially around dawn and dusk.

I do hope Steve comes back and continues to sell the DX10fixer. Unfortunately many people (myself included in the past) don't "RTFM" (read the manual...). It must be difficult trying to stay polite whilst dealing with support queries especially those which wouldn't exist had the customer read the instructions after installation.

I think Steve could do with changing the code to get the manual to pop up immediately after install?

Adam

FSUK.jpg