Sign in to follow this  

The 737 MAX Flight Deck

Nice, and wouldn't it be nice if PMDG gave us a 737 Max!

Call me old fashioned, but i prefer the old steam gauge aircraft, modern aircraft look like Apple Stores.

Ian R Tyldesley

All those giant screens and still no EICAS. Come on, Boeing...

That part probably has at least as much to do with the airlines, as it does with Boeing.

The thing is, airlines want the MAX to be as much like a current 737 NG as possible, to keep the common type rating, and keep the difference course for pilots transitioning from the NG to the MAX (or flying them mixer fleet) to a minimum.

As such, Boeing has no choice but to listen to its customers.

On the other hand, Boeing is probably largely responsible for it too. They need to keep the evolution within certain limits, or the Certifying Authorities will not accept it under "grandfather rights".

A lot of stuff, mainly things considering safety, would not be allowed if Boeing was designing the airplane today. They use grandfather rights to make sure the "new" airplane can get certified within certain limits. The 747 uses this system too.

It's not dangerous, it's just that the industry has somewhat moved on, and safe standards have evolved.

I have heard from a variety of sources that Southwest Airlines still has considerable clout on design with Boeing.

Be interesting to see if the overhead panel is changed much?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

I really like the huge ND. It will be a bit of a problem for us flight simmers when and if we'll ever get this plane on our hands in FSX cause we'll have to choose between either having a smaller ND crowded with engine indications, or have a nice big ND with the engine indications all the way on the side of the pilot monitoring. Not an issue in RL, though.

What i don't like is that PFD... I've never been a fan of the "floating indications over sky/ground background" style PFD. But hey... Boeing aren't building this plane for me so it's all good  :lol:

Cristi Neagu

Hi Bill. From what we have seen at WN; NOPE! Still gonna have that damn 70's technology overhead again!

I guess the FAA thinks it's too confusing to push a button, as opposed to throwing a switch.

Was hoping with the MAX, we could move  into the 21st century at least. :-)

Best,

David

Hi Bill. From what we have seen at WN; NOPE! Still gonna have that damn 70's technology overhead again!

I guess the FAA thinks it's too confusing to push a button, as opposed to throwing a switch.

Was hoping with the MAX, we could move into the 21st century at least. :-)

Best,

David

I think you mean 60's! Well almost. Get with the bloody times Boeing!

I have to say that the new cockpit looks less inviting than a 777 or the new 747.   I don't really like the 787 cockpit to be brutally honest!   I know people are going to throw stones at me for this, but hey, it is what it is right hahaha?

One of the reasons that I have never liked Airbus that much was because it had a cold, plastic and completely impersonal feel to it.   Boeing was always different but now seems to be moving in that same direction.   I just liked the older style cockpits more :-).

Kind regards 

I have to say that the new cockpit looks less inviting than a 777 or the new 747.   I don't really like the 787 cockpit to be brutally honest!   I know people are going to throw stones at me for this, but hey, it is what it is right hahaha?

One of the reasons that I have never liked Airbus that much was because it had a cold, plastic and completely impersonal feel to it.   Boeing was always different but now seems to be moving in that same direction.   I just liked the older style cockpits more :-).

Kind regards 

Was never a fan of brown though, preferred Airbus blue or Douglas grey.

Was never a fan of brown though, preferred Airbus blue or Douglas grey.

It was chosen based on feedback from psycology studies where the brown-tan look was more calming to crews, compared with dark or cold colours. To me, the 737NGX cockpit does seem "cold" and less inviting than the T7 with its nice yellowish glow of all the panel lights reflecting off the brown-tan background. 

The form factor will make home cockpits even easier to build providing the software is written for it. I like :)

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg