Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

AVG Virus Detected - P3D Hosed

Well that ended poorly.... :/     Went to update Prepar3D from 2.3 to 2.4, let the installer do it's thing then walked away for a few minutes and when I came back AVG had this to say about the install it just did.   It proceeded to remove the Prepar3d.exe along with about a half a dozen OCX and DLL files across my PC.   No virus detected in the installer package so I guess this bug was just waiting for the right action to spring the trap.   Wow it wiped out my Prepar3D, two of my voice packs for VoxATC, several OCX files in the System64 directory...   I like how AVG didn't even ask me it just said DO IT!   -_-   Well...   guess I'll be spending HOURS installing 18 add-on airports, all of MegaSceneryEarth, FTX Global, PMDG, ASN....   -_-

Virus-1.jpg

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Bummer! If I might make a suggestion, get the free version of malwarebytes and run that and then run AVG before you start the new installs. that way, you have a better chance of removing the root files of the virus...

Hello kuragiman,

When ever I do a Major install or an update I turn ALL background programs - especially virus Scan Software OFF - think about it - when You let an install program start making changes on Your Hard drive - AVG thinks You have a raging virus going on !!

You should be able to Uninstall Your update - and then - reinstall it with Nothing else running !

Good Luck

Johnman

Although I don't use AVG myself Kuragiman usually anti-virus or anti-malware programs have preference settings wherein YOU can choose what action they take when encountering a 'threat.'  Once bitten, twice shy eh, suggest you revisit that page and readjust if considered appropriate.

I don't understand why so many people need to install their photoscenery again every time they blow up their installation? Pretty much from the beginning I've installed all my sceneries on a separate folder from the application if it is just easily possible and just add them to my library. When they are on different drive from OS, they are there even after OS reinstalI and fully usable after. If there is an effects folder with the scenery, it is easy to copy its contents to new P3D install folder. Same goes with ASN and other external software, just make sure you add proper entrys to exe.xml/dll.xml or use backups. When I do my reinstall after deleting the prepar3d folder, it is mainly just the aircraft and ORBX stuff I need to add, that is those things that pretty much force themselves to the P3D directory or overwrite . Two hours tops and I'm back in business.

Agree with Appliance... never let your AV/FW loose without adult supervision. I made sure that my internet security ALWAYS ask me before doing anything.. Just bought the GLV avionics package by FSD,.. and my IS complained the entire time I was installing it... I told it that the program was OK and trusted, and go back to watching cartoons.

simple solution is to make a back up copy of your hard drive   to a external drive  so when something like this happens  just a matter of  just re installing it  again under 10 minutes

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Simpler solution is to get a decent AV program and AVG is not it. I hear of MORE false positives from AVG than any other engine. Personally, I prefer ESET primarily because it has fewer hooks and less interference with FSX or P3D.

But for ANY AV program to automatically delete data w/o confirmation is ridiculous UNLESS there is an auto remove option that was checked by the user.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

When ever I do a Major install or an update I turn ALL background programs - especially virus Scan Software OFF 

This is a very good habit to practice.

I've used AVG for the past two years. It produces no more false positives than any other imo and I've tried all the majors. If you don't set it up to your liking when you install it you can't really complain when it bites you in the a**.

I agree with User72.  I ditched AVG years ago as it constantly produced false positives, especially when I was beta testing.  Very irritating.  I have used malwarebytes and avast and been fairly happy with that combination, but as most posts state - I turn them off when I am not needing to actively scan or have protection up and running (especially during installs).

I turn them off when I am not needing to actively scan or have protection up and running (especially during installs).

Probably the wisest option.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If AVG does produce a false positive you can always restore it and tell AVG to leave it alone next time! So if you're doing an install of a large programme from a trusted source set AVG to ask you first! Then you won't have any problems. AVG doesn't delete the files unless you specifically tell it to do so. It stores them in a "vault" thus allowing you to recover them if necessary.

Actually the problem isn't the false positive - that can be dealt with - it's the deletion of the files without prompting that caused the problem.

I don't use AVG but I would expect there is an option to either hold or quarantine "bad" files and allow the user to determine the action.

If not, that's a dangerous thing to do.

Vic

Actually the problem isn't the false positive - that can be dealt with - it's the deletion of the files without prompting that caused the problem.

I don't use AVG but I would expect there is an option to either hold or quarantine "bad" files and allow the user to determine the action.

If not, that's a dangerous thing to do.

Vic

The only time AVG trashes a quarantined file is when "you" tell it to. I think the thread title is over dramatic as it implies a not very good understanding of the virus programme operation.