Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Biggest disappointments - 2014

There is a very knowing lack of attention to ATI users by LM in their development of P3D2, and until this changes, P3D2 is, in my opinion, pretty much off limits to ATI card users.    Exactly the same goes for X-Plane 10 64bit;  horrible performance and visuals under an ATI card.

with P3D2, but with ATI cards, this sim is a pig. Sorry, but that really feels like the truth to me.   AA and AF looks dreadful compared to in FSX (on the same settings) and performance is abysmal.

I appreciate that information, I'll hold off on P3D until some folks can confirm it will play well with my ATI HD6870 1GB.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I appreciate that information, I'll hold off on P3D until some folks can confirm it will play well with my ATI HD6870 1GB.

I was using a HD 7870 2GB and got dreadful performance (and poor anti-aliasing visuals) so I definitely think your card would struggle.  

Only dissapointment is not having Outerra turned into a flight sim yet.

I've been watching it also and keeping it updated on my computer. Unfortunately, Outerra seems more like a hobby project and by the time it becomes useful as a flight sim platform, XPlane, P3d and even DTG's proposed progeny of FSX-SE will have passed it by. To me, this interest in Outerra is much like the interest in GTA 5 as a legitimate flight sim. I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening.

I'm the little kid in the corner, watching everyone happily playing their P3D, saying, "Mines must be broken..." 

I don't want to get this thread, too off track, so I suggest that you post the details about your situation in the P3d section of the forums.

With an i7 3770k OCed to 4.5 and a GTX 780 TI, you definitely have something amiss. It is tough to get good performance around the NYC airports, but my guess is that your single thread CPU performance is holding you back. You probably have core 0 pinned at 100% all the time and it would be worthwhile to look into that further. I would also try turning down LOD, cloud distance, shadows, building autogen, special autogen and road traffic as a test. Do you have an AI Traffic add-on installed? If you are using dense AI air traffic, you might want to run the AI Traffic Optimizer that is available on AVSim. My setup is about a generation older than yours and I get no less than 15 fps around the NYC area and that's with many of the IQ settings on max. 

There is a very knowing lack of attention to ATI users by LM in their development of P3D2,

Should that not be the other way round? ATI cards are generally more of a problem on any of the sims compared to nvidia.

Should that not be the other way round? ATI cards are generally more of a problem on any of the sims compared to nvidia.

Yes very possibly; at least as much onus should be held on both parts.   My real point wasn't so much to apportion blame (although it probably read so), but moreso just to point out (through my own experience) the vast chasm of performance and visual differences between nVidia and ATI cards, with P3D2...... and that the performance difference between the two GPU brands on FSX is much closer.

Drzewiecki Design New York airports. Even at the sale price its a flop and Im thinking they must have farmed this scenery out or they just forgot to test it or both

+1

Drzewiecki Design need to take a good, hard look at their last few releases, and the customer reactions to them.     I flew between all the "Polish Airports Vol 1" airports last night, and they are just gorgous, with excellent performance too.   Then I flew up to EETN for the worst photographic ground image I've ever seen, lot's of shimmering, average modelling and awful performance.

..........and that's without mentioning New York Airports!   What is the point in making airports that perform so poorly?!

I used to buy everything they released, but I've avoided UUEE because their last few offering have just been poor.

Drzewiecki Design need to take a good, hard look at their last few releases, and the customer reactions to them.

I'll say that I bought their MiamiX a long while back.  Not a palm tree anywhere...none...zilch...nada.  Seems pretty clear that they've never, actually, been there.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I'll say that I bought their MiamiX a long while back.  Not a palm tree anywhere...none...zilch...nada.  Seems pretty clear that they've never, actually, been there.

+1 used it twice in 6 months, underwhelming and uninspiring. 

ZORAN

This actually made me laugh.  :lol: Not the comment itself as the claim that there is not single palm tree.  :lol:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

This actually made me laugh. :lol: Not the comment itself as the claim that there is not single palm tree. :lol:

Yeah.  It's not *awful* but it could have been a lot better.  Some of the buildings are stunning...boats look nice...but the rest is not great.  The photoreal is not good at all. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Stilling waiting for a decent ATC program. PRO-ATX is close but what about correctly handling AI? and making ATC adjustments due to weather?

Without a doubt Prepar3D  v2.

Halfway through the year they broke terrain shadowing with release 2.3, then they promised to fix it for 2.4 but only did so partially. They also introduced other issues like rotating clouds, poor cloud shading, incorrect scaling of extrusion bridges etc. making the sim an unusable mess for the rest of the year. Hopefully they will rescue this wreck in 2015.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

What a useless thread. There is so much misleading or simply false information in here. You should really keep your personal frustration to yourself instead of spreading misleasing information to others and frustrating developers. Whether to buy or not buy an add-on should really be based on thorough reviews. Not frustrating experiences from single users (which are often simply caused by wrong installations). And there are more than enough threads around which warn people of those add-ons nobody should buy...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

What a useless thread. There is so much misleading or simply false information in here. You should really keep your personal frustration to yourself instead of spreading misleasing information to others and frustrating developers. Whether to buy or not buy an add-on should really be based on thorough reviews. Not frustrating experiences from single users (which are often simply caused by wrong installations). And there are more than enough threads around which warn people of those add-ons nobody should buy...

Bizarre outburst.

Why should people "keep their personal frustration to themselves"    - in a discussion forum ?   :rolleyes:

Users and Developers need to be big enough to hear people's views and feedback ; and that's all that is happening here.   Sure it's not the most positive thread because it's focussing on disappointments, but there are plenty of other threads that champion and discuss products that people were happy with.

To be honest, I think the only person in this thread that should have "kept his frustration to himself", is your good self.