Sign in to follow this  
Evan

P3D v3 new structure

Where does LM give guidance on installing addon scenery and airplanes? There's no mention of it in their learning center and a search on their forums results in nothing. I am very curious about this, perhaps we all need to understand it better before installing addons.

I also don't know where that info came from, but if you just wait for v3 compatible installers there is no need to understand anything: you only need to know how to click on the OK button. Just rely on the developers to get the job done properly. ;)

J van E, +1.

It´s fantastic that people can´t wait for proper installers, they just have to experiment and mess things up.

Jack 

the Swede in Spain

Aw come on Jack! You know when it comes to a new flight sim we're all like a kid with a new toy. Press ALL the buttons, turn on ALL the lights just to see what they do! :smile:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Where does LM give guidance on installing addon scenery and airplanes? There's no mention of it in their learning center and a search on their forums results in nothing. I am very curious about this, perhaps we all need to understand it better before installing addons.

Say what? There are two articles in the SDK explaining this in great detail:

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/LearningCenter.php

kxdvD.png

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Come on Bill....There is no place in this thread for expert opinion and pictures proving your point!!!! LOL

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Come on Bill....There is no place in this thread for expert opinion and pictures proving your point!!!! LOL

Now that I've taken a bit of time to look more closely, this new system is pretty darn awesome. L-M have implemented a system where developers no longer have to write their own custom programs to deal with configuration files, but can simply include command line arguments in their installer scripts to handle all of the fiddly-bits. :Big Grin:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Would we all be happy pay $$'s to companies to cover the huge investment to R&D, update their product, update their installers, and cover their increased support costs as we also demand compatibility and support for FSX, FSX Steam, P3d 2 and now P3d 3 (and in some case P3d 1)?

I would think not.  In fact, I know not based on comments in this forum when P3d 2 was released - and that was a minor change relative to P3d 2 -> P3d 3.

We should be happy enough most companies are release compatible installers for free.

Cheers.

Matt Webb

How do you link addons that are installed outside of the root P3D folder? The cfg file that is.

Kevin Humphryes

How do you link addons that are installed outside of the root P3D folder? The cfg file that is.

Look in C:\Programdata\Lockheed Martin folder - you'll find quite a few cfg files - gauges, effects, simobjects etc. Just follow the entry format in the file, giving it the next number, a title, path, etc.

For me, I have a folder outside of P3D3 called ADDONS - in that folder I have folders called Gauges, Effects, Sound & SImObjects. I install to those and just include those locations I the respective cfg file.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Look in C:\Programdata\Lockheed Martin folder - you'll find quite a few cfg files - gauges, effects, simobjects etc. Just follow the entry format in the file, giving it the next number, a title, path, etc.

For me, I have a folder outside of P3D3 called ADDONS - in that folder I have folders called Gauges, Effects, Sound & SImObjects. I install to those and just include those locations I the respective cfg file.

Vic

I've done the exact same... Started adding a few freeware aircraft via that method to test it out.  The worst part was the ones with dependencies on FSX models (like the An225 using panels from the default 747), but with the error log when you close P3D3 it helps you figure out what you need.

Look in C:\Programdata\Lockheed Martin folder - you'll find quite a few cfg files - gauges, effects, simobjects etc. Just follow the entry format in the file, giving it the next number, a title, path, etc.For me, I have a folder outside of P3D3 called ADDONS - in that folder I have folders called Gauges, Effects, Sound & SImObjects. I install to those and just include those locations I the respective cfg file.Vic

But what about the texture folder inside p3d root? If you use rex4 textures in a different folder (you called it addons) and including this folder via texture.cfg there should be a problem because p3d loading his default clouds and the clouds from the addons folder too....?

I thought the same thing but this is a new texture.cfg apparently, it appears you can specify priorities similar to the way you prioritize in the scenery library putting your addons/texture folder at a higher priority than the default texture folder.

See here, some practical testing:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475752-v3-developer-updated-software-thread/page-5#entry3305919

I thought the same thing but this is a new texture.cfg apparently, it appears you can specify priorities similar to the way you prioritize in the scenery library putting your addons/texture folder at a higher priority than the default texture folder.

See here, some practical testing:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/475752-v3-developer-updated-software-thread/page-5#entry3305919

Thank you, so then the next question is why the updated precipitefx and PMDG is installing the files inside the p3d v3 root, where LM said "Hell no dont do this"?

Thank you, so then the next question is why the updated precipitefx and PMDG is installing the files inside the p3d v3 root, where LM said "Hell no dont do this"?

I guess it's gonna be a while until everything is nice and tidy. Until then, we'll have v3.5 and an imminent release of v4 :smile:

I have followed the discussion and I am aware of LM's recommendation not to install within the default Prepar3d v3 folder. I doubt that the majority of the devolpers/publishers will follow this recommendation (e.g. PMDG, ASN, FSUIPC, MCE, FSDREAMTEAM, AEROSOFT will install in the default location).

While LM's recommendation is not a problem for most (not ORBX) addon sceneries (just create an addon folder structure outside the default folder and adapt the paths within scenery.cfg and other required cfg files), the complex airplanes (PMDG etc.) in the simobjects folders and their library files in the root folder are often more demanding in this respect.

To be honest, I do not understand the trouble when it comes to an update to Prepar3D V3.x Just do a backup of the previous Prepar3D installation, and copy all the required files (e.g. simobjects, modules, gauges, effects, sounds, dll.xml, exe.xml, cameras.cfg). back to their original location. Do overwrite files only if necessary. Done in minutes.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR