Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Massachusetts - W2XP crosses the pond to the US

As many people know, World2XPlane has been very much concentrated in Europe and so far all the artwork and pro/autogen regions have been based here. I decided it's time to see what the US can offer in terms of scenery and I've started with Massachusetts because it has some excellent data available from the government (Thanks to some hints from users here on Avsim)

I have collected all the data available and I've created a new building set for low/mid residential areas and the entire "small forested" state is presented in glorious detail (Every building, forest, road, etc.. is in the correct place):

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

Alabeo_R66_4.jpg

Alabeo_R66_5.jpg

This state is one big forest :smile:
Alabeo_R66_6.jpg

Alabeo_R66_25.jpg

Alabeo_R66_34.jpg

There is still a lot of work to do on the city/commercial buildings which look too European, and if anyone wants to get involved in the project then please let me know (There are already two users getting involved creating some landmarks). Once this state has been done, there is a possibility of doing many other states (with semi-autogen/real buildings), but this all depends on how popular this scenery will be.

P.S. If anyone is wondering, I am still doing Norway. I'm experimenting with using address points to make the autogen more realistic, and it's requiring a rethink on how I deal with the autogen.

• Upvote 6

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Very impressive, Tony.

I really appreciate how you continue to open up parts of the world that normally I would never consider flying in.

Tony, laminar should employ you, I am sure your work is driving the sales for x-plane lately.

At least it is one of the major reasons people would consider buying it.

I really appreciate how you continue to open up parts of the world that normally I would never consider flying in.

The US is not usually an area I fly in and when I do I generally stick to Alaska. This is fairly small state, i.e. You can cross the entire scenery (East to West) in about 40 minutes in a Cessna 172, but there is lots to see along the way and lots of GA airports everywhere.

Here are some shots of downtown Boston using the new building textures I'm working on (Hopefully they can be reused again somewhat for other cities):

Alabeo_R66_1.jpg

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

A short 20 minute flight away (Somewhere outside Worcester).

Alabeo_R66_4.jpg

looks really good; need help with making objects I can help. 

If you fancy modelling some landmarks that would be great. e.g. Stadiums, or other well-known points in the area. The more diversity in the scenery the better.

• Upvote 4

Excellent work and thank you!  Am excited to see W2XP coming to the US. 

Hope to see some buildings for the southwestern states such as AZ and CA.

Wow this is awesome! I grew up in Boston, and those screenshots are a very accurate representation of the Brownstone and Brick buildings of New England. I can't wait to fly over this when it's done :)  

This is looking brilliantly Tony!

An impressive work already and so far for sure!

WOW!!!

Payware or freeware; I am getting it when it comes out!

Donald

Its the best of both worlds,  Donationware :D

Looks great so far Tony! How are fps when flying with this scenery?

I'm not going to lie here ;-), if you want to run this at maximum detail you're going to need a good computer. I've optimised as much as possible, but there is an insane amount of detail in a short space. On my Macbook Pro laptop with 16GB of RAM and a 2GB video card, I average 20-30fps. The forests are the culprit here, the entire state is almost completely covered in trees, so turning down the forest density settings smooths things out. That being said, it seems to perform better than the default autogen alone.

First version is now available for download from http://world2xplane.com/2015/11/25/massachusetts-pro/

You'll need the dependencies listed on the scenery page (But if you already have Denmark Pro, then you are likely to have everything).

Make sure you tweak your settings, having trees on maximum in an almost completely forested state is asking for trouble :-)

I'll have to say that Tony hit the American look perfectly.  I may be wrong but this is the first full size piece of custom American scenery available for X-Plane, and flying over Massachusetts in X-Plane feels so nice.  We need to get behind World2Xplane and start using this great piece of software.  Europe is all good and stuff, but for us homelanders, there's nothing like flying over your own soil.

It is a FPS killer due to amount of houses and trees.  That said I am flying on a laptop.  I am ready to start making some city scenery.  Here's some pics of my Lowell, Mass scenery in MassPro, (not part of the download, sorry).  This should look even better if I used Ortho4XP to make the shorelines better.  BTW, these pics are with VERY LOW scenery coverage, FXAA only, and other reductions in graphic quality, otherwise my laptop would crawl.

PadLJqP.jpgJZAocwG.jpgFIsLvQw.jpg

American look indeed. Outstanding work by Tony. I was taken aback when I first saw fscoffee's pix. Just amazing.

Tony: Thanks for your constructive and artful works for X-Plane.

Excellent, Tony and thank you!

...and you can pull 21 FPS right around downtown Boston, without my having to turn any rendering down, from what I normally run with.  Now..going to explore cross-state... :dance:

Here is the first flight out of Boston's Logan (KBOS):

Baron_58_1.png

Baron_58_2.png

Baron_58_5.png

Baron_58_7.png

Baron_58_13.png

Baron_58_3.png

Baron_58_14.png

,,,and flying south of Boston about 15 miles inland...trailing an interstate....

Baron_58_18f93e.png

Baron_58_9.png

Baron_58_33bd9b.png

Baron_58_10.png

Baron_58_11.png

Baron_58_12.png

Baron_58_2a57ff.png

I think that I will now fly over Harvard Campus...and then over John Adam's Brewery and look for a small strip landing....

The brewery is there, er..right?  :)

Baron_58_5746b8.png

Baron_58_4.png

The Boston area looks great... :)

Car_C337_2.png

Car_C337_5.png

Car_C337_4.png

Car_C337_10.png

Car_C337_8.png

Car_C337_7.png

Car_C337_9.png

Car_C337_13.png