Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

What to use instead of ORBX Vector

​I've seen numerous people say they don't use ORBX Vector, but I am wondering what you use instead to provide that functionality or is it even necessary?  I use ORBX Global and UTX USA2.0 scenery, some FSDT airports. Since P3D 3.2 and now with the update to 3.3, the scenery and texture after awhile seems to devolve into this blob of non-defined color blotches.  I am going to re-install P3D 3.3 fresh and start over.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jeff Callender  

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

​I've seen numerous people say they don't use ORBX Vector, but I am wondering what you use instead to provide that functionality or is it even necessary?  I use ORBX Global and UTX USA2.0 scenery, some FSDT airports. Since P3D 3.2 and now with the update to 3.3, the scenery and texture after awhile seems to devolve into this blob of non-defined color blotches.  I am going to re-install P3D 3.3 fresh and start over.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Jeff Callender  

As far as I know those are the only two programs available - UTX would be the better choice but a bit of a pain to get up and running on P3D - personally I dont bother with either and will await the new Orbx lower US  LC and leave it at that

As far as I know those are the only two programs available - UTX would be the better choice but a bit of a pain to get up and running on P3D - personally I dont bother with either and will await the new Orbx lower US  LC and leave it at that

UTX in P3D. You just install it and it works.. What's hard, easiest add on I have and  have USA, Canada, Europe and the Caribbean. Easy on FPS and looks good. ???

• Upvote 1

UTX in P3D. You just install it and it works.. What's hard, easiest add on I have and  have USA, Canada, Europe and the Caribbean. Easy on FPS and looks good. ???

Tricky install to update for P3D unless they changed it

UTX for me. Simple to install. Works with Orbx and/or GEX

Vic

• Upvote 1

UTX for me. Simple to install. Works with Orbx and/or GEX

Vic

Its not hard but would be nice if it had a one shot installer last time I used it it didnt

Since P3D 3.2 and now with the update to 3.3, the scenery and texture after awhile seems to devolve into this blob of non-defined color blotches. 

Jeff Callender  

This problem is likely independent of UTX and FTX Vectors wouldn't likely fix it either.

I use FTX Vectors because it works very well with SRTM-based meshes.

Its not hard but would be nice if it had a one shot installer last time I used it it didnt

The update process from FSX versions was difficult for sure. But the new installers for a new purchaser just simply install.

Additionally, to me, I find the UTX product more accurate with fewer airport "anomalies" than Vector. On one of my systems I am running both, with UTX layered above Vector - this way I get UTX in an area covered by both and Vector in areas not covered by UTX.

Vic

The update process from FSX versions was difficult for sure. But the new installers for a new purchaser just simply install.

Additionally, to me, I find the UTX product more accurate with fewer airport "anomalies" than Vector. On one of my systems I am running both, with UTX layered above Vector - this way I get UTX in an area covered by both and Vector in areas not covered by UTX.

Vic

Thanks Vic thats what I thought - thanks for the heads up - should be way easier with a proper installer now 

Tricky install to update for P3D unless they changed it

Been as simple as it gets for the last year at least, when I first installed UTX. 

I would like to ask what is really wrong with Vector ?

I use Vector and see no issues

If you are doing low and slow flight then vector makes sense ..For only airline flying you can do without it

• Upvote 1

You have to ask yourself how important a vector addon is for your flights and enjoyment as compared to default. In my opinion, you will not miss very much if you just leave it default and you can avoid all the trouble that it may cause, fps drop included.

If you fly VFR you get the best accurateness with photo scenery, thus without vector. If you fly IFR, you do not care about vector either.

• Upvote 1

I have both. UTX and Vector. I only use UTX roads only. Better VAS management. I hate all this airport disabling stuff. Not consumer friendly.

Looking forward to USA LC by ORBX and a option to disable regions with one click please.

Michael Moe

As far as I know those are the only two programs available - UTX would be the better choice but a bit of a pain to get up and running on P3D - personally I dont bother with either and will await the new Orbx lower US LC and leave it at that

I dislike the two part installer as well, Rich, but it's self installing, and shows the dirt road in front of my Stinking Creek farmhouse...

...Orbx Vector can't touch that....bought it...dumped $50 in the toilet...

...I've got every SUPERB version of UTX...putting good LandClass on top of REAL;

Roads

Rail

Coast lines

Water ways

Electrical grid...the list goes on and on....

UTX so vastly improves ANY FSx Based sim beyond belief that I refuse to fly without it....kinda like TrackIR.

If I want fictitious frame-killingly pretty....I will invoke Orbx SCA, or Frame friendly, Magnificent New Zealand or SE Alaska....places where reality based UTXeye-candy gets beaten or does not yet exist.

Just my curmudgeonly way of viewing the world...

Cheers

Chas

I dislike the two part installer as well, Rich, but it's self installing, and shows the dirt road in front of my Stinking Creek farmhouse...

...Orbx Vector can't touch that....bought it...dumped $50 in the toilet...

...I've got every SUPERB version of UTX...putting good LandClass on top of REAL;

Roads

Rail

Coast lines

Water ways

Electrical grid...the list goes on and on....

UTX so vastly improves ANY FSx Based sim beyond belief that I refuse to fly without it....kinda like TrackIR.

If I want fictitious frame-killingly pretty....I will invoke Orbx SCA, or Frame friendly, Magnificent New Zealand or SE Alaska....places where reality based UTXeye-candy gets beaten or does not yet exist.

Just my curmudgeonly way of viewing the world...

Cheers

Chas

Why do people keep talking about a  2 part installer. There is no such thing, you click install after downloading it, and it installs. Is that complicated?  One click, done!!!!

If you fly VFR you get the best accurateness with photo scenery, thus without vector. If you fly IFR, you do not care about vector either.

I have been pondering this today, as I have been making photoscenery - what is the role of vector programs for photoscenery users?

I think they do have some purpose:

1. If you're water masking your scenery, you need the water data - default misses some lakes.

2. I think - but i'm not sure - that you'll get more road traffic, as it follows the vector roads. At any rate, traffic should be better placed.

3. My scenery has power lines - I suspect they're coming from the vector data. Maybe some of the antennas as well, haven't tried turning off the vector program to see if it's placing them.

Can't think of much else that vector data add to photoscenery. If anyone knows - let me know!

I'm trying our Orbx Vector, after buying it in the recent sales - despite the general negativity around here to it. I normally use UTX, which I like. So far, Vector seems fine - not aware of it causing me any problems.

I suspect long term I'll use it for areas not covered by UTX.

Why do people keep talking about a  2 part installer. There is no such thing, you click install after downloading it, and it installs. Is that complicated?  One click, done!!!!

Maybe now but when it first came out there was different installers as P3D progressed - thats the truth

1+

Maybe now but when it first came out there was different installers as P3D progressed - thats the truth

1+

Well it's been updated since it first came out. 

• Upvote 1

Well it's been updated since it first came out.

You are both right. Initially, the users of the ORIGINAL FSX versions had to do a two part dance to get UTX updated properly in P3D. Since then they have updated their installers and it's a fast, one step operation.

Vic

You are both right. Initially, the users of the ORIGINAL FSX versions had to do a two part dance to get UTX updated properly in P3D. Since then they have updated their installers and it's a fast, one step operation.

Vic

Exactly but seems Bob doesnt believe me 

I must have missed a download, but for P3Dv3.3, I had to run one executable, install a patch and then run the two part installer.  And that is after going through the infernal Flight1 authentication process.  I did this today as i installed everything fresh.

You Guys must not have been in the loop when developer was making it work in P3D - Flight1 Forums is an excellent place to visit - lots to learn there