Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

What's Your longest Flight in FSX

So a question for everyone is what was your longest flight that you ever achieved from start to finish, and no time acceleration or unlimited fuel. Where did you go? Which aircraft did you use and did you enjoy it. Now note you didn't need to be in the cockpit all the time for the flight to count. My longest flight for example to my knowledge was from Singapore to Vancouver non-stop with the PDMG 747-400 Air Canada it was extremely long and tiring(about 14-15 hours since winds were strong), but enjoyable once I got there. So what was the longest flight you managed? Also please mention the route,the aircraft, and airline(optional).

Also if you want you can mention what your longest flight that you plan to fly is, unfortunately I'm not sure for myself.

Signed Jon.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Kadina, Okinawa to March Air Force Base in Riverside, Calif. flying the B-36 Peacemaker.  I actually did this in

several hops, Kadina to Guam, Guam to Hawaii, and then Hawaii to March Field.

British Airways Concorde from London Heathrow to Grantley Adams, Barbados. 3673nm flown in 4 hours. :Big Grin:

CPT L9 MALBY DCT MERLY DCT LESLU DCT BEDRA DCT 47N020W 45N025W 42N030W 34N040W 30N045W 25N050W 20N055W DCT BGI

No need for time acceleration when you're flying at Mach 2 or 20nm per minute. Just about reached FL600 before the descent.

Wonderful aircraft that is a delight to fly. I even managed the fuel transfers. No weather above FL400 to speak of.

• Upvote 1

So... are we talking longest flight in one sitting WITHOUT saving it?

So... are we talking longest flight in one sitting WITHOUT saving it?

Probably. Otherwise it's cheating as it doesn't replicate real-world ops. :wink:

• Upvote 1

London Gatwick to Melbourne, PMDG 777 Emirates, 18 hours 37 minutes, 9118nm.

FlightLog_12-35-31.JPG?dl=0

The reason for the flight was to go from my home airport, Gatwick, to Melbourne for the start of the Reverse London-Melbourne race a couple of years ago.  I arrived in Melbourne with a fair bit of fuel left, so one day I'm going to try Gatwick to Auckland, which is about as far as I can go from London.

• Upvote 2

Something like this... Budapest to Pago-Pago (don't ask me why :P)

WVhILMq.png

I don't have the patience yet for a 12k+ km flight, but should be able to crank up the XB-70 for a single sitting :)

The reason for the flight was to go from my home airport, Gatwick, to Melbourne for the start of the Reverse London-Melbourne race a couple of years ago.

That race (but the non-reverse, 30's era version) immediately came to mind when I saw this topic. I flew the early 30's Caudron C450 from London to Melbourne. I knew I was never going to win (I did try to run the C460 originally, which would have had a very good chance but was disallowed), but I did finish and it was absolutely a blast to take part in.

I don't recall my longest hop in that race, but I do believe that the majority of them were at least a few hours, limited by how much fuel was on board the Caudron. Takeoffs were always exciting in the Caudron, since you can't see anything in front of you and it had a lot of torque on the takeoff roll. Landings were always scary as hell, made worse by the use of real world weather. Definitely my longest series of non-autopilot, non-gps, non-navaid, hand flown flights.

Not a single 12+ hour flight, to be sure, but by far my largest single undertaking in any sim to date.

Ha, timely thread OP!

I had the day off yesterday, so I planned out and completed a 12 hour BOAC B377 "Monarch" service from New York to London non-stop. 11 hours and 49 minutes. No GPS or map "cheats". Used radio navaids over land, but the 5-6 hours over water was completely dead reckoning.

Landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule and burned only about 15 minutes extra fuel than I had planned.

• Upvote 2

WMKK - YSSY in the CaptainSim L-1011.  I did it 'old school' by manually entering waypoint info into the INS and using radio navigation as a backup. 

I screwed up my LAT/LONG entries and went off course a couple of times.  Nonetheless, I felt like it was quite an accomplishment to pick up the Broome NDB after a couple hours across the open sea with nothing but the INS to guide me along.  Fortunately I didn't botch up navigation on that part of the journey.

I also had a rough landing (tired after nearly 10 hours of flight), but I made it.  My navigation errors along the way left me with less than six minutes of fuel.  It was by far my most memorable flight in FSX--no magenta line, no automatic fuel management and I had to keep my head in the game from takeoff to touchdown.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but when you have a wife, you cannot possible take really long flights without saving. (That would really be a kind of cheating).  Thus, the longest flight I recall was Heathrow to Sydney in a Qantas A380, with a re-fueling stop in Singapore - saved three times, but no accel. or time compress.  I believe it was about 9,300 nm.

(BTW, I live in Florida).

• Upvote 1

Ha, timely thread OP!

I had the day off yesterday, so I planned out and completed a 12 hour BOAC B377 "Monarch" service from New York to London non-stop. 11 hours and 49 minutes. No GPS or map "cheats". Used radio navaids over land, but the 5-6 hours over water was completely dead reckoning.

Landed 10 minutes ahead of schedule and burned only about 15 minutes extra fuel than I had planned.

That's amazing. I salute you.

Atlanta, GA USA to Johannesburg SA in the PSS B777-200LR (FS9, sorry, not FSX).  16+ hours.

Back story is I work for three bosses who own the company.  Two of them arranged an African Safari and hunting trip in South Africa.  One was afraid the plane would run out of fuel.

They all knew about my flight simming addiction and wanted to know how accurate the sim was.  I told them with a good payware and real world weather from Active Sky Evolution it was pretty close to "real".

They gave me the next day off...with pay...and I flew non-stop using the previous day's real world flight plan (Delta Airlines).  Made it there with lot's of fuel to spare and reported back to my bosses.  They were pleased.

Neither will ever do that flight again...16 hours on a plane, even a huge B777, is too much and, according to them, fatiguing.

Randy

• Upvote 1

Hi Jon,

Back in 2011 I flew from PADU (Dutch Habor, Alaska) to ENVA (Trondheim, Norway) with the PMDG 737, see my post below from that flight.

Cheers,

Jerome

PMDG have done a fantastic job at modelling the 737NGX. My thanks to all the team, really, this is just such an amazing aircraft you have managed to assemble! Well I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of maximum range real-world flight might be possible, real in the sense of using a properly planned flight with real weather withthe 737 configured as realistically as possible. So after much Google Maps gazing, I decided it was time for a flight from Dutch Harbor in Alaska to Trondheim in Norway. I configured as direct a route as possible without just flyingfrom A to B, which gave me a total distance of 3787.8 NM or just over 7000 km. Here is a graphic of the route I planned: flightpath.png This seemed like an awfully long way to fly a 737-800 on one full tank of fuel, just over 8 hours in fact. I setup the aircraft with the short-field package and the lighter Messier-Bugatti-Dowtycarbon brakes, then fed my waypoints into the FMC. I wasn't totally sure that this was going to be feasible, but with a max fuel load and and an empty load, the FMC showed that I wouldhave just a few drops of fuel left upon arrival, exciting stuff. After a rather short take-off run, the runway at PADU is only 3900 ft long, I was up in the air and on my way. I figured that the optimum flight route would also have me cruising at 41.000 ft, soI made sure that I had reached cruising altitude before going to bed and leaving my iMac with FSX running for the night. Around 6 hours later I was back at my iMac with just over an hour left before touchdown. The progress page on the FMC still showed that there would indeed be very little fuel left upon myarrival, enough though to get me there without running out somewhere en-route. Immediately before descending through the clouds over Norway I received a low-fuel warning, but everythingstill seemed right on track. Finally, after 8 hours and 12 minutes, I touched down at Trondheim airport. What a great maximum range flight! For those interested, here is the exact routing: navlog.png Well I hope you enjoyed my short flight summary. Until next time. Jerome PS Here are some additional geographic route views for those interested: arctic_view_01s.png arctic_view_02s.png arctic_view_03s.png arctic_view_04s.png

• Upvote 2

Did anyone ever try a pilot shift's worth of short hops in a single session, i.e. eight (or ten?) hours of 200-500 nm routes?

My longest FSX flight was around 1800 nm, I think.

The problem with these flights is that you run out of apartment space to clean and meals to cook after about three hours.

• Upvote 1

Boy, haven't done one in years but it was from Washington Dulles to Frankfurt in real time.  Used to take this flight for work so I wanted to recreate it.  I departing at the actual time around 6pm.  Flew all night landing at Frankfurt like at 5-6am.  It was when I first got involved in flightsimming so I was enthralled I just couldn't stop. 

When I landed I could barely stand up or walk straight.  Got my first "simming sea legs", ha!

• Upvote 1

Toronto to Bahrain with PMDG 777-200

Flight time was around 11 hours and 30 minutes or so. 

I think Gatwick to Barbados in the old PMDG 747-400. Done the same route quite a few times in Concorde as well but in the 744 it took between 8 and 9 hours!

I've not actually got round to long hauls in the 777 yet, I want to but I've yet to learn about ETOPS planning in PFPX!

TPE-LAX in the posky 744 (I did that 3 years ago),flight time unknown

XIY-LAX in the Thomas Ruth A332 (I did that yesterday),approximately 12 hours