Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

Looks Like AS16, ASCA, & REX Soft Clouds CAN Work Together

Well, I do think you are partially wrong too. ;) You will still get dynamic sky and cirrus changes. AS16+ASCA offers three dynamics and by disabling the dynamic cloud option you will indeed be stuck with for instance soft clouds but everything else, sky and cirrus, will still change. I have the idea the difference in cloud sets is quite often hardly noticable while the difference in sky sets certainly is so using the combination of AS16+ASCA+REX may still be of interest to a lot of people, specially those who don't like the look of the ASCA clouds.

Jeroen, on the explanatory video, both cloud and cirrus are unticked, thus my remark and the "s" at cloud options ;-).

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Jeroen, on the explanatory video, both cloud and cirrus are unticked, thus my remark and the "s" at cloud options ;-).

** Edited as my original sounded snarky **

As I said in the OP, 

"set the ASCA config to control only sky colors (or sky colors and cloud structures, if you like), then run the REX theme installer LAST so the textures in the sim are the REX Soft Cloud textures."

What one chooses to have ASCA dynamically replace is at least partially up to the user. For me, I have it replace sky textures and cloud structures, but not the cirrus or the cloud textures. Others could choose other options. But they aren't mutually exclusive and incompatible add-ons, as many initially suspected.

I do look forward to SkyForce, though. I love the REX textures and would love full dynamic transition of them!

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

Thank you - this alone is enough for me to stay with REX4/Soft Clouds, I see a significant downgrade going from that to ASCA.  I'll get AS16 for sure, but ASCA will wait.  Until they can best that top image, REX4 is where I stay.

I agree. I really don't like how the new AS16 and or ASCA looks, and the expensive price of $40 to upgrade from ASN to AS16. I think I'll pass and get the new REX Skyforce add-on that is a complete all in one solution. Weather+Clouds.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I agree. I really don't like how the new AS16 and or ASCA looks, and the expensive price of $40 to upgrade from ASN to AS16. I think I'll pass and get the new REX Skyforce add-on that is a complete all in one solution. Weather+Clouds.

I'm waiting for another retailer to buy AS16, but based on the demo, it's definitely worth the upgrade.  I run it with REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds, and it's very, very good.  I'm even okay with the P3D version costing more.  Granted, I uninstalled FSX a long time ago, but it's static - that one version will be it.  Meanwhile, ASN got 5 service packs, and got updated roughly within 48 hours of every P3D release since I bought it.  It definitely is a lot more work for these guys, and they have to make a living.  I'll also buy the PMDG 747v2, and I'm expecting major sticker shock on that one, there won't be special upgrade pricing this time!

I will keep an eye out for ASCA, though - these guys had something amazing in ASN and made it that much better with AS16, I'm sure they'll make ASCA look good.

Else, I'll definitely look into the new REX product that will replace Texture Direct, it really isn't clear if it's Sky/Weather/Environment Force.

• Upvote 1

sig01.png

Yes the price is over the top - unfortunate as I have been an Active Sky customer since almost day1.  However the cost has crept up to the point where even an upgrade is quite expensive let alone the full deal even for FSX - much more so for P3D.  This will do nothing for AS16 sales as many will hedge their bets until Skyforce is released.

Bruceb

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I think I'll pass and get the new REX Skyforce add-on that is a complete all in one solution. Weather+Clouds.

Where did you get this information? From everything what I have read that has been published by REX, Skyforce 3D will work with ANY weather engine (including the in-built P3D engine) and it does not have an integrated weather engine. From my understanding, you get cloud textures (for which REX is famous for) and real-time cloud changes.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

You are really missing out by not getting AS 16. It is so far beyond any weather engine I have seen.

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

So, if I already have AS16 and ASCA.  What would getting  REX textures direct do for me?

Can AS16 dynamically load REX clouds like it does for the ASCA clouds.

As well, what else can REX add for me?

I'm a p3d flier.

spacer.png

Good questions.

I have tried it both ways: AS16 and ASCA and AS16, ASCA and REX.

Add in the option to have ASCA randomly apply clouds (via the Global Dynamic setting) and I find I don't see the same clouds twice.

So, it's hard to say, as this is a matter of taste.

You can use all three. I like softclouds' textures, but I also like the cloud textures you get with ASCA. Every so often, I'll reconfigure things to keep it fresh.

Let me put it this way: I have made too many purchases I do regret; this isn't among them. I have all three and I'm glad for it.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

@Chris

AS16-ASCA+Rex Soft clouds (I use this set up)

Skip to 5:10 if you just wish to see what it looks like

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Flic1 said:

I wonder if you would keep 'cloud structures' enabled in ASCA in order to get the nice thunderstorm clouds?  I'll have to try this out!

Hi 

Did this work? Enabling cloud structure only?

yes

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:05 PM, vgbaron said:

yes

With using rex 4 sc textures?

Thanks

You can use any textures you want with ASCA/AS16 but you only get dynamic textures with ASCA textures and as16

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors