Sign in to follow this  
dommel1234

CPU or GPU? my upgrade suggestion

Hello fellow simmers ,

I have a recomendation to make for those willing to upgrade based on my own experience. If you own a I7 2XXX you may consider if its worth going for a skylake or babylake or a new gpu. Well, i had recently this dilemma i had an i7 2600 coupled with a Gtx 780 and after a lot of research i decided to upgrade my gpu intead of the cpu And i bought a gtx 1070.  Well i think i made the right choice, big improvement on fps and smoothness, and the I72600 still cope very well and do not bottleneck the gtx1070.  Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking). That way  i have decent prformance and i can reserve the cpu upgrade in a future chip much better than the babylake.

Ps: all these are valid only if you overclock your i72XX of cource mine working steadily in 4,4 GHz

Thanks for sharing your experience.  At the end of the day, all that really matters is how you like the performance of your simulator.  This community is made up of all types, those that are very satisfied with medium to low sliders and minimal eye candy, all the way up to those who live on the bleeding edge and feverishly seek the highest FPS money can buy, and of course, all the unwashed masses in between.  Sit back and enjoy our hobby... it really is an amazing community and a ton of fun simulating an exciting slice of our world.

I'm happy for you that you were able to improve your experience with a new GPU.  Your next upgrade will target the CPU, and the upcoming Coffee Lake might just fit the bill.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

1 hour ago, dommel1234 said:

Hello fellow simmers ,

I have a recomendation to make for those willing to upgrade based on my own experience. If you own a I7 2XXX you may consider if its worth going for a skylake or babylake or a new gpu. Well, i had recently this dilemma i had an i7 2600 coupled with a Gtx 780 and after a lot of research i decided to upgrade my gpu intead of the cpu And i bought a gtx 1070.  Well i think i made the right choice, big improvement on fps and smoothness, and the I72600 still cope very well and do not bottleneck the gtx1070.  Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking). That way  i have decent prformance and i can reserve the cpu upgrade in a future chip much better than the babylake.

Ps: all these are valid only if you overclock your i72XX of cource mine working steadily in 4,4 GHz

A 7700k will slaughter a 2600k hands down in P3d.  

Matt Wilson

Hello all,

The only comment I feel qualified to make is that a GPU upgrade is far cheaper in that it is a one off purchase.

The CPU on the other hand involves CPU, Motherboard, RAM and then you still have a substandard GPU to replace at a later date.  Granted a full upgrade will still involve al of these but as an interim, the GPU, I feel, is the way to go and has the potential to greatly improve performance of your chosen sim..

I think that we would all love to have the "top of the woz" system but a lot of us are financially constrained and that includes mine own good self. This will always leave us with an incremental approach to upgrades and my suggestion is for the GPU first.

For me, I am upgrading very soon to a 1080ti and a 1050ti to drive my system. I therefore, very much hope that what I have said above is actually correct LOL

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

4 hours ago, dommel1234 said:

Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking).

There's also some DRM that comes with the Kaby Lake CPUs that doesn't come with the Skylake ones. If you want to watch Netflix on your PC. If that doesn't apply to you, then go ahead. I don't use Netflix personally. I bought Skylake (i7 6700K) mainly due to less heat being generated over Kaby Lake.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

A 7700k will slaughter a 2600k hands down in P3d.  

I used to have a 2600K running at 4.4 Ghz and recently upgraded to a 7700K at 4.9 Ghz.

Is it faster?  Yes, but not that much. Its a lot of money (considering also a new motherboard is needed) for little gain in speed/fps

• Upvote 2

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Willy, are you really comparing the correct things here? Or do you compare the v3.4 performance with the 2600K@4.4GHz with the v4 performance of the 7700K@4.9GHz ? Fact: your 7700K has 11% higher clock speeds, so at least those 11% you should see. Otherwise, something goes wrong. Honestly, it might also be the case that your 970 is a limiting factor here.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

For your information between Sandy Bridge and Kaby Lake i7s there is also a substantial improvement in IPC (+30% avg), therefore you don't have to look only at the frequency. Even at the same frequency a 7700K is much faster than a 2600K.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Well, that's why I thought maybe this 970 is the limiting factor. As the 7700K should be faster than the 2600K in any case even at the same clock speeds (add the DDR4 memory to the equation and it should be even faster), he even does not see the 11% performance increase he should have simply due to the fact that he uses the 7700K at 11% higher clock rates.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Yeah, probably the GTX 970 is a bottleneck there, having only 3,5 GB of available VRAM...

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

On 26/7/2017 at 11:14 AM, enek0id said:

For your information between Sandy Bridge and Kaby Lake i7s there is also a substantial improvement in IPC (+30% avg), therefore you don't have to look only at the frequency. Even at the same frequency a 7700K is much faster than a 2600K.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

The improvement is less in higher resolution when the GPU takes charge. But even this is not worth the money to buy an essentialy not overclockable overheating chip like the 7700k. Surely there is much better cpus to come soon

20 minutes ago, dommel1234 said:

...an essentialy not overclockable overheating chip like the 7700k.

Not overclockable?  Hmmm, lots of folks have pushed that chip to 5Ghz and beyond.  It's proven itself to be overclockable.

Greg

50 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Not overclockable?  Hmmm, lots of folks have pushed that chip to 5Ghz and beyond.  It's proven itself to be overclockable.

Greg

I said essentialy, of cource it is, if you delid it and loose your guarantee can reach some 5 Ghz and beyond. The point is that they dont represent the technological revolution to make worth the investment especially when the 2XXX performance is comparable or a bit inferior

On 7/26/2017 at 0:38 AM, willy647 said:

I used to have a 2600K running at 4.4 Ghz and recently upgraded to a 7700K at 4.9 Ghz.

Is it faster?  Yes, but not that much. Its a lot of money (considering also a new motherboard is needed) for little gain in speed/fps

Single core performance gains have been so paltry over the past 5y that my next build, when my 3930K@4.4Ghz finally gives up the ghost, will seem like a lot of expense for very little real improvement.  And that's a real first for me.   If only we could put all of Threadripper's 16-core model to work full time.  That is the unfortunate part you have an excellent multicore processor and only a one core gets fully utilized.    Fortunately there are useful gains in the GPU domain.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Single core performance gains have been so paltry over the past 5y that my next build, when my 3930K@4.4Ghz finally gives up the ghost, will seem like a lot of expense for very little real improvement.  And that's a real first for me.   If only we could put all of Threadripper's 16-core model to work full time.  That is the unfortunate part you have an excellent multicore processor and only a one core gets fully utilized.  

I run a 3930K at the same speed, I am perplexed and must say that I am more than happy with its all core performance in v4. I do run it with HT on as turning it off was a negative for me. My best tune up was using Multicore Next to move the addons TrackIR, Chaseplane etc to the top cores.

This is a recent process explorer snapshot of my 3930K with NGX over ORBX Australia ( note CPU says 26.2% because I paused for the screen shot it was 78% avg in sim just before pause) covers around 2.5 minutes of activity over Sydney City at Terrain level9 (cant do L10 at 4k until I get a 1080Ti.)

ZyZQCVsNum.jpg

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server