Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
dommel1234

CPU or GPU? my upgrade suggestion

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow simmers ,

I have a recomendation to make for those willing to upgrade based on my own experience. If you own a I7 2XXX you may consider if its worth going for a skylake or babylake or a new gpu. Well, i had recently this dilemma i had an i7 2600 coupled with a Gtx 780 and after a lot of research i decided to upgrade my gpu intead of the cpu And i bought a gtx 1070.  Well i think i made the right choice, big improvement on fps and smoothness, and the I72600 still cope very well and do not bottleneck the gtx1070.  Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking). That way  i have decent prformance and i can reserve the cpu upgrade in a future chip much better than the babylake.

Ps: all these are valid only if you overclock your i72XX of cource mine working steadily in 4,4 GHz

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for sharing your experience.  At the end of the day, all that really matters is how you like the performance of your simulator.  This community is made up of all types, those that are very satisfied with medium to low sliders and minimal eye candy, all the way up to those who live on the bleeding edge and feverishly seek the highest FPS money can buy, and of course, all the unwashed masses in between.  Sit back and enjoy our hobby... it really is an amazing community and a ton of fun simulating an exciting slice of our world.

I'm happy for you that you were able to improve your experience with a new GPU.  Your next upgrade will target the CPU, and the upcoming Coffee Lake might just fit the bill.

  • Upvote 1


Doug Miannay

M1mhPJG.png 1BV5Kt7.jpg

PC Specs: i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz  | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Addons: Many Orbx Products | Many FSD/FB/FT/PacS/LatinV/Aerosoft Airports | ASP4/ASCA | UTL at 35% | ChasePlane | PMDG/FSL/A2A Aircraft

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dommel1234 said:

Hello fellow simmers ,

I have a recomendation to make for those willing to upgrade based on my own experience. If you own a I7 2XXX you may consider if its worth going for a skylake or babylake or a new gpu. Well, i had recently this dilemma i had an i7 2600 coupled with a Gtx 780 and after a lot of research i decided to upgrade my gpu intead of the cpu And i bought a gtx 1070.  Well i think i made the right choice, big improvement on fps and smoothness, and the I72600 still cope very well and do not bottleneck the gtx1070.  Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking). That way  i have decent prformance and i can reserve the cpu upgrade in a future chip much better than the babylake.

Ps: all these are valid only if you overclock your i72XX of cource mine working steadily in 4,4 GHz

A 7700k will slaughter a 2600k hands down in P3d.  


Matt Wilson

Share this post


Link to post

Hello all,

The only comment I feel qualified to make is that a GPU upgrade is far cheaper in that it is a one off purchase.

The CPU on the other hand involves CPU, Motherboard, RAM and then you still have a substandard GPU to replace at a later date.  Granted a full upgrade will still involve al of these but as an interim, the GPU, I feel, is the way to go and has the potential to greatly improve performance of your chosen sim..

I think that we would all love to have the "top of the woz" system but a lot of us are financially constrained and that includes mine own good self. This will always leave us with an incremental approach to upgrades and my suggestion is for the GPU first.

For me, I am upgrading very soon to a 1080ti and a 1050ti to drive my system. I therefore, very much hope that what I have said above is actually correct LOL

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

 

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dommel1234 said:

Why buying  a cpu that according to tests beats the i7 sandybridge only by 10 % and with also the heating problems the 7700k exhibits (see the latest intel warning on overclocking).

There's also some DRM that comes with the Kaby Lake CPUs that doesn't come with the Skylake ones. If you want to watch Netflix on your PC. If that doesn't apply to you, then go ahead. I don't use Netflix personally. I bought Skylake (i7 6700K) mainly due to less heat being generated over Kaby Lake.

  • Upvote 1

Jeff Thomson

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

A 7700k will slaughter a 2600k hands down in P3d.  

I used to have a 2600K running at 4.4 Ghz and recently upgraded to a 7700K at 4.9 Ghz.

Is it faster?  Yes, but not that much. Its a lot of money (considering also a new motherboard is needed) for little gain in speed/fps

  • Upvote 2

Willy Vercruyssen

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Share this post


Link to post

Willy, are you really comparing the correct things here? Or do you compare the v3.4 performance with the 2600K@4.4GHz with the v4 performance of the 7700K@4.9GHz ? Fact: your 7700K has 11% higher clock speeds, so at least those 11% you should see. Otherwise, something goes wrong. Honestly, it might also be the case that your 970 is a limiting factor here.


Greetings, Chris

Intel i7-8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 4.5

Share this post


Link to post

For your information between Sandy Bridge and Kaby Lake i7s there is also a substantial improvement in IPC (+30% avg), therefore you don't have to look only at the frequency. Even at the same frequency a 7700K is much faster than a 2600K.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

 


i9 10850K / 64 GB 2933 MHz CL14 / RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2

Share this post


Link to post

Well, that's why I thought maybe this 970 is the limiting factor. As the 7700K should be faster than the 2600K in any case even at the same clock speeds (add the DDR4 memory to the equation and it should be even faster), he even does not see the 11% performance increase he should have simply due to the fact that he uses the 7700K at 11% higher clock rates.


Greetings, Chris

Intel i7-8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 4.5

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, probably the GTX 970 is a bottleneck there, having only 3,5 GB of available VRAM...


i9 10850K / 64 GB 2933 MHz CL14 / RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2

Share this post


Link to post
On 26/7/2017 at 11:14 AM, enek0id said:

For your information between Sandy Bridge and Kaby Lake i7s there is also a substantial improvement in IPC (+30% avg), therefore you don't have to look only at the frequency. Even at the same frequency a 7700K is much faster than a 2600K.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Review-Kaby-Lake-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

 

The improvement is less in higher resolution when the GPU takes charge. But even this is not worth the money to buy an essentialy not overclockable overheating chip like the 7700k. Surely there is much better cpus to come soon

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, dommel1234 said:

...an essentialy not overclockable overheating chip like the 7700k.

Not overclockable?  Hmmm, lots of folks have pushed that chip to 5Ghz and beyond.  It's proven itself to be overclockable.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Not overclockable?  Hmmm, lots of folks have pushed that chip to 5Ghz and beyond.  It's proven itself to be overclockable.

Greg

I said essentialy, of cource it is, if you delid it and loose your guarantee can reach some 5 Ghz and beyond. The point is that they dont represent the technological revolution to make worth the investment especially when the 2XXX performance is comparable or a bit inferior

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/26/2017 at 0:38 AM, willy647 said:

I used to have a 2600K running at 4.4 Ghz and recently upgraded to a 7700K at 4.9 Ghz.

Is it faster?  Yes, but not that much. Its a lot of money (considering also a new motherboard is needed) for little gain in speed/fps

Single core performance gains have been so paltry over the past 5y that my next build, when my 3930K@4.4Ghz finally gives up the ghost, will seem like a lot of expense for very little real improvement.  And that's a real first for me.   If only we could put all of Threadripper's 16-core model to work full time.  That is the unfortunate part you have an excellent multicore processor and only a one core gets fully utilized.    Fortunately there are useful gains in the GPU domain.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Noel said:

Single core performance gains have been so paltry over the past 5y that my next build, when my 3930K@4.4Ghz finally gives up the ghost, will seem like a lot of expense for very little real improvement.  And that's a real first for me.   If only we could put all of Threadripper's 16-core model to work full time.  That is the unfortunate part you have an excellent multicore processor and only a one core gets fully utilized.  

I run a 3930K at the same speed, I am perplexed and must say that I am more than happy with its all core performance in v4. I do run it with HT on as turning it off was a negative for me. My best tune up was using Multicore Next to move the addons TrackIR, Chaseplane etc to the top cores.

This is a recent process explorer snapshot of my 3930K with NGX over ORBX Australia ( note CPU says 26.2% because I paused for the screen shot it was 78% avg in sim just before pause) covers around 2.5 minutes of activity over Sydney City at Terrain level9 (cant do L10 at 4k until I get a 1080Ti.)

ZyZQCVsNum.jpg


A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,435.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...