roarkr

A response to Rob "So whats going on at PMDG"

Recommended Posts

Hi Rob,

 

At some point in time you said that PMDG was looking into the issue that not allows any PMDG planes to be loaded on top of each other or directly without first having a default plane set to the initial P3D scenario setup page.

As you now gave us a brief view of what is going on at PMDG I just wondered if solving this issue is "going on at PMDG" or has been thrown in the Bin.

This is an annoying issue that I hope PMDG will solve.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Loading the default plane then loading the addon is also the procedure for Flight 1 planes. I just assumed this was a FS requirement, not something that could be changed by the developers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, not all Flight 1 aeroplanes, it says in the QW 787 manual that you don't have to do that with their shiny new airliner, which I will admit came as a surprise to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They solved the "creeping thrust" on the 747, maybe this is the next holy graille.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonjour,

It is very annoying as a product like FSIPanel doesn't work anymore since the last release of PMDG planes. That doesn't means it is a PMDG problem, but only LM can investigate to find a solution with PMDG or Flight1.

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has already been addressed in the intro manual. It says to not load it on too of the default airplanes. At least for p3d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

This has already been addressed in the intro manual. It says to not load it on too of the default airplanes. At least for p3d.

I know what is stated in the doc. But, I asked if a solution was "going on".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roarkr said:

I know what is stated in the doc. But, I asked if a solution was "going on".

Very few see this as a problem.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Who's Rob?

blaustern

 

The Elvis Presley of flight sim.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preloading a basic aircraft before a big hitter doesn't seem to be required with P3Dv4, in my experience. FSL and PMDG, at least, don't require this anymore.

As far as flying, say, the 737ngx and then loading the 747 after without a P3D restart, yeah. This doesn't work. 

Is it some deficiency on PMDG's part? I doubt it. More likely, an inherent part of P3D's structure. If it was only some bit of coding magic, I would bet the perfectionists at PMDG would have done something about this long ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, downscc said:

Very few see this as a problem.

Disagree, I find it extremely annoying and have hear others complain.  It's an understood limitation, so I don't think there's much chatter as people know they'll get blowback if they say anything

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to save a flight and practice the same landing a few times without having to restart the sim.  I love the plane, but that is a MAJOR limitation.  The plane (specifically manual landings) require a lot a practice to get them right.  I can't imagine there aren't a lot of users that feel the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

The plane (specifically manual landings) require a lot a practice to get them right.

I couldn't reload a Cessna 152/172 on final in my flight training either. Do another lap. Try again. The extra hand time to fly the downwind will assist you for the landing. You might not think so, but it will.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I couldn't reload a Cessna 152/172 on final in my flight training either. Do another lap. Try again. The extra hand time to fly the downwind will assist you for the landing. You might not think so, but it will.

Still though, utilities like FSi or FS-Flight Control that give the user the ability to spawn the aircraft on a 10nm final, or left base entry, and fly this over and over should be doable.

Practicing like this saves time, focuses on the exact phase of flight, plus you could get 5 landings in the same time that would normally be one or two.

Ive used FSi until it stopped working and it was great! I'd love the ability to just reload a PMDG save flight over and over without issue to get me by.

They do training just like this in the Level-D's, as the end user we should be able to do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to save a flight and practice the same landing a few times without having to restart the sim.

This might work... Make sure the default flight is the stock one and start the sim. Load the PMDG, fly to your approach point, pause the sim, save the PMDG flight, load the default flight file of the stock version, only now load the saved PMDG flight. Problem with 737, OK with P3Dv3 but in P3Dv4 gear might fall through the tarmac, always restart the sim for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

They do training just like this in the Level-D's, as the end user we should be able to do the same.

P3D is not a Level D simulator.  There are a lot of preloads done within P3D before selecting a scenario that PMDG has no control over and initializing a session is a lot more complex when most of your processing is outside the box while the box is doing something else.  Believe me, this is not easy with a complex simulation with the ESP architecture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Still though, utilities like FSi or FS-Flight Control that give the user the ability to spawn the aircraft on a 10nm final, or left base entry, and fly this over and over should be doable.

Practicing like this saves time, focuses on the exact phase of flight, plus you could get 5 landings in the same time that would normally be one or two.

Ive used FSi until it stopped working and it was great! I'd love the ability to just reload a PMDG save flight over and over without issue to get me by.

They do training just like this in the Level-D's, as the end user we should be able to do the same.

Didn't say that it was entirely invalid. Just offering up the alternative. In a Level-D sim, you're paying quite a lot of money and have a lot of people behind you needing to get in the sim. Your sim at home doesn't have this limitation (though some people do have other time constraints, I understand...still, the hours in your sim at home aren't at the rate of a D sim, which is part of the reason they do that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roar,

I would very much like to resolve this.  In fact it has been on my hit list for... lets see here...  fifteen years now.

The issue is priorities and importance.  Right now it is not a priority given all of the other tasks we have in front of us.  It does not critically impact the operation of the product, so it isn't something that must be solved immediately.

I would be careful about evaluating it's presence as an issue in one product versus another.  I can EASILY cure the problem in the 747-400, but in doing so we have to eliminate a significant amount of the actual simulation process that give our products depth and realism.

If I were to bet- I think we will probably be close to elimination once we delete FSX/FSX-SE and P3D v3 from the product lineup because P3D v4 is a significantly more robust and developer friendly platform...  But that won't happen in the near term...

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Roar,

One of the simulation greats has awoken!:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Right now it is not a priority given all of the other tasks we have in front of us.  It does not critically impact the operation of the product, so it isn't something that must be solved immediately.

Bonjour Rob,

I perfectly understand what you said, but other products like FSIPanel which reposition the A/C when practising approach are difficult to use now, since the last PMDG update.

I read on the FSIPanel forum that you told the developper, you will investigate to find a solution.

Sure it is certainly not an easy problem to resolve, LM always said to see with PMDG... But for me it is not so obvious. 

As I do not know where  is really the problem, it is difficult to have an opinion. By the way if someone can explain what is going on in technical words, I am on it... just to understand.

Cheers

Claude   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Claude,

If I knew what it was- we would have solved it quite some time ago- and I am not prone to have a technical discussion with someone not on our team and not involved in our development process.  :cool:

I'm sorry that it impacts your ability to use other products- but that doesn't weigh into my workflow even remotely.  This limitation has been present in our products since 2005, and if I have to choose between what is already on my agenda or trying to rebuild the entire core structure of our product lines in order to interface with something we don't even support...  Well...  The hard truth is that I'm going to stick to our agenda as it is.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 8:26 PM, downscc said:

P3D is not a Level D simulator.  There are a lot of preloads done within P3D before selecting a scenario that PMDG has no control over and initializing a session is a lot more complex when most of your processing is outside the box while the box is doing something else.  Believe me, this is not easy with a complex simulation with the ESP architecture.

Heck o.O 

P3D is event driven? 

Oh and by the way is it normal that a ticket i've submitted on October 14 is still not answered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

I am not prone to have a technical discussion with someone not on our team and not involved in our development process

Rob,

OK, as someone, I can understand.
 I was not looking for specific very technical informations, but I always thought it was better to explain to customers when something is not working as he expects. May be I am wrong !

Now I can see that PMDG has no idea of what is going on, so it is difficult to give some informations. I can understand that too. 

To be frank, I thought the problem was  mainly on the LM side, and could only be solved by the 2 companies.

For having seen a lot of dead lock in interprocess, I can perfectly understand that it is not easy to solve.

4 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

The hard truth is that I'm going to stick to our agenda as it is.

I do not understand why the FSIPanel developper says that you are looking for a solution.

Cheers

Claude

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never loaded a default plane before loading any addon aircraft in FSX/P3D and have been absolutely fine for all these years on various diferent systems. Don't know why people run into said problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now