Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Hannant

PMDG moving to own forum platform

Haven't seen this posted other than on your Facebook page but I have to say I think this is a good plan for the company and I'm not sure why it's taken as long for this to happen.   Being part of another company's network and having to abide by their rules, as a former forum admin in a similar position, is never easy to be as open and as frank as you, or your customers, need to be.

Add in the fact that the performance on these forums is, at times, woeful and this move is one I'm sure will be welcomed by the overwhelming majority.

The only thing I'd like to see with your own hosted solution and therefore your own rules is please don't overly lock down debate on there.  While I completely accept that the support forum is, and will be a company support tool, a healthy constructive debate (allowing positives and negatives within the debate within the terms of the rules) will only enhance the customer perception of the company and it's customer interaction.

Edited by Trevor Hannant
  • Upvote 5

There can be a lot of reasons :) And for me no matter the reason that's the company decision and I will follow :) 

• Upvote 1

I assume it’ll be similar to what TFDi, FSL, and Orbx have set up, mainly a support forum and general discussion about their products. 

• Upvote 1

I can see arguments for and against if this news is correct.

For example, isn't Avsim one of the better ways for the Flight Sim community to keep in touch with each other and share their experience and knowledge of the different operating platforms and Flight Sim addons etc?  Support forums are probably best kept on the software or hardware manufacturer's own websites and limited to the more technical issues which are often being reported here.  Perhaps the powers that be will enable both forums so that we can enjoy the best of both worlds?!

Bertie Goddard.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, berts said:

if this news is correct.

It is correct. Announcement went up on our FB page a couple days ago.

5 minutes ago, berts said:

Perhaps the powers that be will enable both forums so that we can enjoy the best of both worlds?!

Contrary to popular belief from the tin-hatters of the community, we do not control AVSIM, so they might leave this forum open.

All the same, the new forum will be much like this one. Technical discussions need to go into the ticket system, as they do already. Forums are by far one of the worst ways to handle/track support issues - posts get buried, people try to sneak their issue in (and occasionally 'hijack') other threads, and so on. So, the new forum, will be (like this one) a place to discuss the products, procedures, community, and so on.

• Upvote 4

Kyle Rodgers

9 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Add in the fact that the performance on these forums is, at times, woeful and this move is one I'm sure will be welcomed by the overwhelming majority.

The only thing I'd like to see with your own hosted solution and therefore your own rules is please don't overly lock down debate on there.  While I completely accept that the support forum is, and will be a company support tool, a healthy constructive debate (allowing positives and negatives within the debate within the terms of the rules) will only enhance the customer perception of the company and it's customer interaction.

Agree. The performance on this site can be aweful at times.

I would like to add a suggestion regarding the new platform. It would be nice if PMDG added a “owner verification” tag on our profile, so we can post without signing the post with our real name. 

41 minutes ago, berts said:

I can see arguments for and against if this news is correct.

For example, isn't Avsim one of the better ways for the Flight Sim community to keep in touch with each other and share their experience and knowledge of the different operating platforms and Flight Sim addons etc?  Support forums are probably best kept on the software or hardware manufacturer's own websites and limited to the more technical issues which are often being reported here.  Perhaps the powers that be will enable both forums so that we can enjoy the best of both worlds?!

Bertie Goddard.

In light of recent events AVSIM made it pretty clear that we can not discuss all issues related to flight sim addons and third party developers. This is one of the reasons I’m happy for PMDG decision to move platform.

Bjørn Hansen

• Upvote 8

I’ll just happy to see a speed improvement. Avsim is one of the slowest forums I visit lately.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, Bjerha said:

It would be nice if PMDG added a “owner verification” tag on our profile, so we can post without signing the post with our real name. 

PMDG has been pretty straight forward about the reason for names, and it has nothing to do with product purchase; rather, it is to encourage respectful exchange of ideas that seems to be missing from the anonymous internet in general.

• Upvote 4

Dan Downs KCRP

Excellent decision and IMHO overdue.  Maybe someday I'll explain why I feel that way.

For the moment, congratulations, and I'll look forward to visiting you in your own house.

• Upvote 1

Great news, to be honest i starting to think having official support forms for any developer that is well established put's AVSIM in a position where its hard to be neutral when somebody may have something negative to say about ANY product or developer, i would like to see AVSIM open official support forms for smaller but serious developers so they can get established in the community.

All said i think it a great move by PMDG     

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Excellent move, long overdue. 

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Seems to me having to add your name , cuts down on the surfers, and hackers. I don't see why people object??  

. Heck, people now don't even want to talk on the phone anymore.

Jerry Friz

• Upvote 3

So is it going to be announced here when it's ready, or are we going to have to check Facebook. I'm not really on Facebook all that much these days.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

40 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

So is it going to be announced here when it's ready, or are we going to have to check Facebook. I'm not really on Facebook all that much these days.

Surly there will be a way to get to the PMGD forum from the PMDG website

• Upvote 1

I'm sure they are working on a transition announcement that everyone will see, not only here but at multiple outlets.