mgeiss

Active Sky for X-Plane might be released Q4 2018

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://fselite.net/news/hifi-provide-development-update-previews-of-activesky-for-x-plane-soon/

 

Quote

Damian tells us that ActiveSky for X-Plane has been high on their priority list and that the team has been working on this for quite a while. At one point they had worked for over a year before deciding they needed to scrap what they had and return to the drawing board.
The good news though, is that Hifi expect to be releasing previews of their work so far within the next month or two, and their current timeline sees a beta release planned for Q3 2018, with a final release Q4 2018.

Edited by mgeiss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sounds interesting. A decent weather engine for X-Plane would be a nice addition. Can't wait to see, what the previews looks like, and what they have achieved for that platform...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X-Plane 11 never will be the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A sure bet first class XP 11 addon to look forward to.

JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Competition is always good.

However i still want actual volumetric clouds (like in Il2 sturmovik) and not high quality 2d textures with some elaborate work around to make them feel a bit moe volumetric.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best thing that can happen to XP and still one of its weak points, hope paired with something like asca, if not we still are depending of other puglins, and theres not one in the market with decent volumetric non 2d clouds.

Edited by dmarques69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might finally be the one to shift me over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Active Sky for XP does come with cloud texture replacements. While the default sim lacks a proper weather engine, this lack is already filled with the 64bit weather engine FSGRW. A combined product similar to ASP4 + ASCA in X-Plane would be great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coxo2436 said:

nearly 2019 how long must we wait?????????

Do you want them to release it with bugs and face a storm of complaints from customers, or would you rather wait for them to get it right so we can enjoy the product's full potential. Meanwhile, XP still works without Active Sky so I am off to enjoy that whilst I wait PATIENTLY 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, AAN1718A said:

I would read the fine print - Cloud replacement isn't going to be out until Q4 2019. This release will use native XP Clouds.

https://hifisimtech.com/forums/showthread.php?10166-Development-News-Update-November-2018

 

 

If you follow Hifi's history, there hasn't been ANY version of activesky that came with any replacement cloud art. The only time they have released any was with ASCA, which was a separate addon from ActiveSky. So I don't see why everyone is saying they won't buy it until they have new cloud art. ActiveSky has always been about the weather depiction, how it improves the look of weather in sim, and to incorporate real live weather. THAT is what made ActiveSky a must have for flight simming.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, monica6211 said:

If you follow Hifi's history, there hasn't been ANY version of activesky that came with any replacement cloud art. The only time they have released any was with ASCA, which was a separate addon from ActiveSky. So I don't see why everyone is saying they won't buy it until they have new cloud art. ActiveSky has always been about the weather depiction, how it improves the look of weather in sim, and to incorporate real live weather. THAT is what made ActiveSky a must have for flight simming.

Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"ASXP features high-performance cloud depiction with a focus on conditions accuracy, utilizing the X-Plane internal cloud rendering via a hybrid API approach, with two different modes available

ASXP also features an optional high-performance photo-realistic cloud texture replacement with a simple texture installation wizard"

https://hifisimtech.com/asxp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jt8d9a said:

"ASXP features high-performance cloud depiction with a focus on conditions accuracy, utilizing the X-Plane internal cloud rendering via a hybrid API approach, with two different modes available

ASXP also features an optional high-performance photo-realistic cloud texture replacement with a simple texture installation wizard"

https://hifisimtech.com/asxp/

That's good at least that it includes some form of texture replacement. I only wish Xenviro (which I own) would hurry up and release version 1.10 before Active Sky is released with their promotional introductory price offer. It's going to be a tough choice to decide if its worth it over waiting for the next Xenviro release (which I am seriously losing patience over...in a geeky kind of way😎).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steve310002 said:

That's good at least that it includes some form of texture replacement. I only wish Xenviro (which I own) would hurry up and release version 1.10 before Active Sky is released with their promotional introductory price offer. It's going to be a tough choice to decide if its worth it over waiting for the next Xenviro release (which I am seriously losing patience over...in a geeky kind of way😎).

I agree - I used Active Sky for many years in FSX/P3D and now use xEnviro (1.7).  I'm also waiting for 1.10 but, if ASXP hits the market before that, I may have to give it a try!

Edited by ricka47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another difference is that HiFi worked without any issues in P3D with quick updates when necessary. The same cannot be said for any XP weather program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Griphos said:

Another difference is that HiFi worked without any issues in P3D with quick updates when necessary. The same cannot be said for any XP weather program. 

I don't recall any issues with SkyMaxx Pro and I've been using it (off and on) since the first version. It always just worked.

I know the high altitude flyers haven't been happy with the extent of cloud coverage to the horizon, but I wouldn't call that an "issue," just the way this particular plugin is designed (and there's a semi-workaround using the solid overcast option). I always liked SkyMaxx Pro for the way it generates believable low-level clouds with edge smoothing in mountain areas. But the default XP clouds have improved so much in recent updates that I tend to fall back on default weather these days.

Anyway, I'll never be 100% happy with a weather add-on until I see something that looks and acts like a big, nasty, anvil head thunderstorm. No weather plugin has ever managed that in X-Plane, and it probably won't happen until Laminar re-engineers the underlying systems. Meanwhile, getting off that personal fixation, I'll get ActiveSky to check out when it's released, as long as it can be manually adjusted enough (my big complaint with xEnviro).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I'm also waiting for 1.10 but, if ASXP hits the market before that, I may have to give it a try!

Fair enough. I just don't want to blow more money on an another weather add-on if Xenviro is as mind blowing as the 1.10 test videos show. After all it cost 70 USD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused. Does Xenvir read and generate weather as does a "weather engine" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.