Sign in to follow this  
gpf3m

Orbx causing long pauses in v4.4

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Second, disabled every single addon I own, except for FTX SoCal and Orbx Libraries.

Bingo, all pauses gone!

but this is not an acceptable solution:sad: 

6 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I don't have these pauses but used too. My solution is scenery management. Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions. Only load up the sceneries you are using. I use sim starter to control all of this. I still occasionally get a few short pauses but no more long ones. Even in downtown LA where there were lots of pauses are now just a blip if that and I only notice it because I'm looking for it.  Josh

Josh, you have just been proven right :smile:

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Trust me, this is not related to FPS settings etc.. Rather related to the long list of sceneries that many of us have active, all at the same time.. 

maybe so for others, but I don't have pauses or stutters and I have lots of high end scenery/aircraft/utility add-ons too.

I set specific Nvidia settings that maybe others do not:

Max pre-render frames at 4

Power management  at prefer max

Also another possibility is, I use a highest performance profile set for P3D and all add-ons in Process Lasso. Even this very moment flying in 4.4 all 4 cores are being used very efficiently.

GPU is being utilized from  73-87%

I surely hope you will not have to resort to removing all kinds of add-ons to get satisfactory performance. That would be taking you backwards. Hopefully something will turn up.:smile:

43 minutes ago, pracines said:

What FPS are you aiming for? Did you try limiting your frame rate to 20?

I wouldnt use the sim at 20 fps so there is no point trying.  Weirdly on 4.4 apart from tests for Bert near LA I am not getting any long pauses at 2 areas I did 100% of the time before if I had all my scenery enabled.  Hope this continues

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I think Rob is onto something here.  If all the scenery indexes get re-scanned at certain places for the region, then I would hope the developers could leverage an under-utilized processor core to prepare the necessary data ahead of time, and then make it available to the main thread when the time comes.

I did find ORBX's Vector to be pretty rough on my system, it's the only ORBX product I didn't re-install when Prepar3D v4.3 came out.

Mark

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you were to run Procmon to track I/O, you'll see that it is not a matter of loading any one or several textures..

Rather it is seaching through your whole scenery list in search of... who knows what.

Bert -- I don't know if you remember this, but back in the early days of FSX it was found (via ProcMon and other analytical tools) that even though you could be flying in the UK, FSX was reading bgl files covering Japan.  

Maybe that is the behavior we still see today?  I can't say for sure, because I haven't done that kind of testing with P3D, but it sounds like you and others have.

I don't have SoCal, but I do have vector, and LC.  I run "only" 1024 textures and 4xMSAA (I'm running 4K now).  That tends to keep the long frames to a minimum, but, the LA basin is one of those rough FS areas -- most of us know it, too  -- LA, New York, London, and Tokyo -- high AI areas and high load areas combining for a bad mix.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I had this issue with Orbx socal in 4.2 and 4.3. It's not the sim it's an Orbx issue they are aware of it but seem to ignore it

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Does this suggest that a program lime SimStarter where you can choose to load the region you are flying only is a cure for the long pauses?

Dave

This issue has been around since FSX. The more sceneries you install, the longer it takes for the sim to load, pauses near payware airports become noticeable, and you even lose some fps. This is why years ago I created region scenery.cfgs and I only load the areas I fly in. This is easy to do with the scenery config editor.

FTX Southern Cal is the worst because you can't disable their updated airports, so you will have to live with the pauses until ORBX add an option to their config tool.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

22 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

PS we have the same last name Kemp

Very Cool😃

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

It would be nice if Prepar3D could self-organize these regions automagically- load up the one you're in, and if about to cross a region boundary load up the new one using a different core in the background, then hand it over to the main thread.  Then drop the old region.

Easier said than done, I'm sure, but LM should strive to make this a sim that doesn't require constant tweaking and fiddling.  After I get things stable I always get a little nervous about experimenting with the setup.

Sadly, this could hurt scenery developers as people become reluctant to bog their system down with to many scenery add-ons.  Fortunately for me however, is that I have 90% of the airports I'm interested in and not seeing the horribly long stutters some here have described.

Mark

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

This issue has been around since FSX.

The issue is much more noticeable in P3D than FSX, though.

I have both sims loaded with Orbx Global Base, Global Vector and openLC North America. For regions, P3D has only NRM whereas FSX has PNW, NRM, ENG, SCO & WLS. Yet P3D spends more time loading (especially at 6%) than FSX.

https://vimeo.com/303905737

I still have some work to do on dialing in settings, but this video clearly shows no pauses.

Captured this morning. SFO to LAX. The LAX portion (shown) is of one continuous capture. Render uses only compression no edits or video enhancement tools used ...it's real ....and yes, the microstutters at the turn we're seen in flight :-)

video settings:

NI 4xSGSS along with in game 8XMSAA

[GRAPHICS]
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0
RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS=2.000000
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=32000.000000
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=4
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
DYNAMIC_LIGHTING=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
LENSFLARE=1
HDR=1
DYNAMIC_REFLECTIONS=0
SHADOW_QUALITY=2
SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=2
CONTENT_NO_SHADOW=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_CAST=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_CAST=1
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_CAST=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_CAST=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_CAST=0
CLOUD_SHADOWS_CAST=1
PARTICLES_SHADOWS_CAST=0
INTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
EXTERIOR_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SIMOBJECT_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
TERRAIN_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
VEGETATION_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=0
BUILDING_SHADOWS_RECEIVE=1
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_LOW=4
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_MID=5
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_HIGH=7
SHADOW_NUM_CASCADES_ULTRA=12
OPAQUE_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
OPAQUE_SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=2000
TRANSLUCENT_SHADOW_DRAW_DISTANCE=2000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_LOW=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_MID=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_HIGH=0.850000
SHADOW_LOG_PARTITION_ULTRA=0.850000
EFFECTS_QUALITY=1
EFFECTS_DISTANCE=1
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
MOON_PHASE_LIGHTING=True
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
DYNAMIC_INTERIOR_CAPTURE=False

[DISPLAY]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=8
SSAA=0
VSYNC=0
FXAA=0
TRIPLE_BUFFER=0
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=31
WideViewAspect=True
FullScreenBackground=True
FullScreenAutoFill=True
Fullscreen=False

[SCENERY]
AUTOGEN_DRAW_DISTANCE=30000.000000
AUTOGEN_TREE_DRAW_DISTANCE_PERCENT=0.900000
AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000
SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE=64000.000000
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=16
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1
AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE=0
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.0.0]
Mode=2560x1440x32

[TERRAIN]
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
TESSELLATION_FACTOR=90
MESH_RESOLUTION=23
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_DENSITY=3
AUTOGEN_BUILDING_DENSITY=2
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
HIGH_RESOLUTION_TERRAIN_TEXTURES=1
UseGlobalTerrainView=False

On 11/30/2018 at 8:40 AM, FreeBird(Josh) said:

I don't have these pauses but use too. My solution is scenery management. Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions. Only load up the sceneries you are using. I use sim starter to control all of this. I still occasionally get a few short pauses but no more long ones. Even in downtown LA where there were lots of pauses are now just a blip if that and I only notice it because I'm looking for it.  Josh

I could be wrong but based on my conversations with the Orbx developers, Regions contain Base, LC and Vector within them and basically override or add to the other Orbx products if not installed.

So I don't think having Base or LC "activated" makes a difference since the region is using both of those as part of the region package as well as vector and a whole lot of other eye candy making Southern California virtually unusable for many of us around LA. When I turn off SoCA and just have Orbx Base and LC running (I don't have Vector) the area is much smoother.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I guess I'm the outlier.  I'm not getting any pauses.  I do run my 60hz monitor at 20fps and textures at 2048 and 2XSSAA.

I also cleared the shadder file and did deleted the p3d.cfg file and the 4.4 update.

Grace and Peace,  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam