gpf3m

Orbx causing long pauses in v4.4

Recommended Posts

I recently did a fresh install of Prepar3d v4.4 and installed my Orbx sceneries (Global, LC North America, Southern and Northern California, Monterey Airport, amongst others.  When performing a cross country flight from Monterey CA to Santa Barbara, CA I encountered frequent long pauses as I got close to Santa Barbara.  The pauses were so bad that it ruined the entire experience. I never experienced this in v 4.3.

 

I than performed the recommended Prepar3d troubleshooting steps.  Without the Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America, the simulator performed flawless over Southern California.  No pauses, high frame rates and very fluid.  I added LC North America, flew the same route, and pauses appeared.  I than added Southern California, flew same route, and the pauses became very frequent and long, making for a terrible experience.  Based on this, The Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America should NOT be used while simulating over southern California in V 4.4.

 

My system:

i7 6800K OC'd 4.3GHz

32 GB RAM

SSD HD

GeForce GTX 1080Ti

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This was present in V4.3. as well.. not sure it is any different in V4.4. on my system.

Share this post


Link to post

I run Santa Barbara with just FTX Global and NA LC, no So Cal region. It looks just fine and lessens the pauses.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, gpf3m said:

I recently did a fresh install of Prepar3d v4.4 and installed my Orbx sceneries (Global, LC North America, Southern and Northern California, Monterey Airport, amongst others.  When performing a cross country flight from Monterey CA to Santa Barbara, CA I encountered frequent long pauses as I got close to Santa Barbara.  The pauses were so bad that it ruined the entire experience. I never experienced this in v 4.3.

 

I than performed the recommended Prepar3d troubleshooting steps.  Without the Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America, the simulator performed flawless over Southern California.  No pauses, high frame rates and very fluid.  I added LC North America, flew the same route, and pauses appeared.  I than added Southern California, flew same route, and the pauses became very frequent and long, making for a terrible experience.  Based on this, The Orbx sceneries Southern California and LC North America should NOT be used while simulating over southern California in V 4.4.

 

My system:

i7 6800K OC'd 4.3GHz

32 GB RAM

SSD HD

GeForce GTX 1080Ti

Known issue with Orbx CA regions.  Try turning off AI.   Also go into Orbx Config for SoCal and NorCal and uncheck things you can live without like windmills, marine masts, towers, etc.   All that drags performance down.  

you have a pretty robust PC so i'm surprised but performance is a moving target.  

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This was present in V4.3. as well.. not sure it is any different in V4.4. on my system.

My thoughts, exactly.  

Share this post


Link to post

I still have 4.3 and I had a pause that came right as I was on final approach. 

Everything stopped, but I could hear "fifty.., thirty.., twenty.., long landing, long landing.."

Then it unpaused and I was bouncing down the runway in every direction 🤨

Share this post


Link to post

I've always had pauses of about 10 seconds all over the world, usually on approach for landing, and the pauses have always been longer with more detailed or expansive sceneries. The absolute top was FSDT KLAX in OrbX SoCal. Many pauses, some longer than others, but the simulation would actually stop for the time of the pause. Afterward the simulation would continue form the same place. I'm not sure therefore that what I'm seeing is the same as with you all, but I read somewhere that in my case it may be related to UTL suddenly injecting a lot of AI to populate the airports.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree Benjamin.  The pauses are worst in the LAX area with Orbx SoCal.  It does not make any difference the power of your computer.  Something is trying to render and it cannot because maybe the object is not there?  It could be a problem with the Orbx Library.  In any case, I removed it from my system and now use MSE SoCal/NoCal.  No issues whatsoever and, with P3dV4.4, it looks better than ever. 

Share this post


Link to post

Just practiced an approach at FSDT KJFK v2 RW13L and got a massive pause (4-5 seconds) at about 1000 feet AGL. I have Orbx LC North America installed. Will try with LC North America deactivated and see if there is an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

I believe a lot of people are experiencing these long pauses but I see very few threads that relate to them and none that have resolved the issue.

I have long pauses on every flight.  Some are a lot worse than others.

I was using the Q400 when I bounced down the runway.

Most of the aircraft don't pause very long and the whole sim comes back together.

I believe the reason that the Q400 continued landing in the background is because Majestic has built in a separate "engine" outside of P3D that is running the flight dynamics and systems of their Q400 and may not be stopped by these pauses.

Other aircraft, like the Falcon 50, will come back when the pause is over.

Some will just crash the sim.

Share this post


Link to post

I stopped using Orbx SOCAL within about a week of purchasing it! The worst Orbx purchase ever! A shame, as I am an ardent supporter of Orbx.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have these pauses but use too. My solution is scenery management. Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions. Only load up the sceneries you are using. I use sim starter to control all of this. I still occasionally get a few short pauses but no more long ones. Even in downtown LA where there were lots of pauses are now just a blip if that and I only notice it because I'm looking for it.  Josh

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same issues with pauses going into KLAX or KSFO using Orbx SOCAL/ NOCAL but never noticed pauses before until I installed UTL. I have a separate monitor that monitors  ProAtc/x, and the moment I see aircraft's refreshing in ProAtc/x window, is exactly when the sim pauses, roughly for about 5-10sec. In my case, UTL is the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

I have the same issues with pauses going into KLAX or KSFO using Orbx SOCAL/ NOCAL but never noticed pauses before until I installed UTL. I have a separate monitor that monitors  ProAtc/x, and the moment I see aircraft's refreshing in ProAtc/x window, is exactly when the sim pauses, roughly for about 5-10sec. In my case, UTL is the issue.

 

I found that to be true too with UTL. I leave mine set to about 30/40% which has helped.  PS we have the same last name Kemp

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I stopped using Orbx SOCAL within about a week of purchasing it! The worst Orbx purchase ever! A shame, as I am an ardent supporter of Orbx.

Howard, did you inform ORBX in their forum about your issues. I would be interestred to know, how they reacted to it 

Bernd

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

Rule #1 Dont run ORBX Vector or Landclass when in regions.

I wonder if that's the key.  I don't use Vector, Global or Landclass.  If there isn't a full-fat region in the area, I prefer to use photo (a mix of MSE and Blue Sky).  And I don't have the problem others seem to have in Orbx SoCal.  Sure, I have the occasional pause in the middle of the LA Basin, but never for more than a second and only very occasionally.  Correlation or causation?  Dunno.

The other piece that may help is that while I have all of the other SoCal features enabled, I do disable Orbx AI (Labeled General Aviation AI but this does not disable P3D GA, only the Orbx GA AI package).

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Howard, did you inform ORBX in their forum about your issues. I would be interestred to know, how they reacted to it 

Bernd

Hi Bernd, yes I did, along with quite a few others too. It has been some time now since it's release so I can't remember exactly if there was a cure. From what I remember, the response was that due to the high number of airports in close proximity to each other combined with dense autogen, this was causing the issue. I think it was suggested to disable all the GA airports, although I'm unsure how this was done. Whatever the suggested process, it didn't work, hence why I no longer fly there. Sad, but I just fly in NOCAL as an option and have no issues there. 

Share this post


Link to post

For what it is worth, I can recreate a pause situation, by loading the aircraft at 16R at Van Nuys airport and taking off.  I have Orbx NA LC and SoCal installed.

And no, disabling NA LC does not solve the problem.

A few seconds into the roll, the sim pauses for a second or so, and then continues on.

I have trapped this, using Procmon, and can see that P3D is running through all my installed Orbx scenery, not just SCA, but PNW, CRM, addon libraries, and off to Europe and Australia..

Heaven only knows what is causing this, but it sure looks to me that P3D and Orbx get something mixed up..

This is more than loading buildings in Los Angeles, although that also happens..

I cannot imagine either LM or Orbx being interested in trying to troubleshoot this.. they have other priorities..

But if you can test this scenario at Van Nuys and see if this is a universal occurrence, we might have a bit more to go on  :cool:

BTW, if I taxi down the runway, turn around and taxi back.. I can then take off without a pause.. go figure..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, FreeBird(Josh) said:

PS we have the same last name Kemp

Maybe you're related? :unsure:

 

:biggrin:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ive been having Long Pauses too for a long time.  Definitely in v4.3.  Unsure if they were also in 4.2.  Rob Ainscough discussed this occuring for him at Milford Sound in New Zealand using Orbx scenery a couple of years ago.  It was determined its possibly not caused by Orbx scenery per se but by Prepar3D as it reads the scenery index.  The more sceneries you have enabled the worse the issue.  It drove me mad trying to work out which scenery was causing it.  I got it on exactly the same spot in Pacific North West.  I set up a flight in the south of England, I have all Orbx Regions and Global LC and Textures etc.  I could get a very long pause consistently so saved a flight for my tests.  With just the FTX Regions enabled a 5-8 second pause occured.  Even occured when I set every single setting to their minimum, lowest texture resolution, lowest filtering, mesh, autogen, complexity, water, shadows...all sliders to the left.  The sim still paused in exactly the same spot.  I noticed as I started switching sceneries off that the pause changed to a single brief stutter in the same spot.  No individual regions or scenery was triggering it with the tests it was just the quantity of active entries in the scenery library.  The only way around it was to use a Scenery Configurator and set up groups dependant on areas Im flying.

I even wiped my system and installed Windows 7 wondering if it was a W10 issue but it still happened in it at the same locations/  In fact on the south of England at the point the pause occured I could slew back and forward and it would reoccur, I could slew back a little then slew many miles to the left and it would still happen like there was some sort of line I was crossing that triggered P3D to read the library.  Gary from UKscenery2000 also posted about it and from memory Orbx weren't too interested in resolving it.

Chris

Edited by cj-ibbotson

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Ive been having Long Pauses too for a long time.  Definitely in v4.3.  Unsure if they were also in 4.2.  Rob Ainscough discussed this occuring for him at Milford Sound in New Zealand using Orbx scenery a couple of years ago.  It was determined its possibly not caused by Orbx scenery per se but by Prepar3D as it reads the scenery index.  The more sceneries you have enabled the worse the issue.  It drove me mad trying to work out which scenery was causing it.  I got it on exactly the same spot in Pacific North West.  I set up a flight in the south of England, I have all Orbx Regions and Global LC and Textures etc.  I could get a very long pause consistently so saved a flight for my tests.  With just the FTX Regions enabled a 5-8 second pause occured.  Even occured when I set every single setting to their minimum, lowest texture resolution, lowest filtering, mesh, autogen, complexity, water, shadows...all sliders to the left.  The sim still paused in exactly the same spot.  I noticed as I started switching sceneries off that the pause changed to a single brief stutter in the same spot.  No individual regions or scenery was triggering it with the tests it was just the quantity of active entries in the scenery library.  The only way around it was to use a Scenery Configurator and set up groups dependant on areas Im flying.

I even wiped my system and installed Windows 7 wondering if it was a W10 issue but it still happened in it at the same locations/  In fact on the south of England at the point the pause occured I could slew back and forward and it would reoccur, I could slew back a little then slew many miles to the left and it would still happen like there was some sort of line I was crossing that triggered P3D to read the library.  Gary from UKscenery2000 also posted about it and from memory Orbx weren't too interested in resolving it.

Chris

Those are my findings also. Even in vanilla p3d at all those same locations you will get a bip if you look for it. I believe this is where P3D reads the indexes and gets what it needs. so it seems the smaller the load(indexes) the faster the read. I still get pauses here and there but nothing like I use to and not those index read pauses that everyone hates.  This is why I swear by using a Scenery Configurator.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

For what it is worth, I can recreate a pause situation, by loading the aircraft at 16R at Van Nuys airport and taking off.  I have Orbx NA LC and SoCal installed.

And no, disabling NA LC does not solve the problem.

A few seconds into the roll, the sim pauses for a second or so, and then continues on.

I have trapped this, using Procmon, and can see that P3D is running through all my installed Orbx scenery, not just SCA, but PNW, CRM, addon libraries, and off to Europe and Australia..

Heaven only knows what is causing this, but it sure looks to me that P3D and Orbx get something mixed up..

This is more than loading buildings in Los Angeles, although that also happens..

I cannot imagine either LM or Orbx being interested in trying to troubleshoot this.. they have other priorities..

But if you can test this scenario at Van Nuys and see if this is a universal occurrence, we might have a bit more to go on  :cool:

BTW, if I taxi down the runway, turn around and taxi back.. I can then take off without a pause.. go figure..

Bert I enabled all my sceneries, set up the default F22 aircraft at runway 16R and took off towards LA.  Just as I was coming over the hills towards Santa Monica the sim froze for a good 8 seconds.  Its no wonder I dont fly in this area despite owning NCA and SCA as the performance is grim even when I reduce the settings only getting 20 fps which is stuttery.  I then retested after putting ALL settings on minimum..reset flight to start of runway and started roll.  Barely 1/4 the way down the runway...1 second pause..not a stutter but a pause.  Coming over the hills again 1 second long pause. then over Santa Monica a very long pause...with all settings to the left so barely any load on my system.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

  Barely 1/4 the way down the runway...1 second pause..not a stutter but a pause. 

Chris

That is exactly what I am seeing..

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is exactly what I am seeing..

I have made a further test but disabling all my Australia and Europe scenery leaving only default and north america regions and airports - same problem with pauses on minimum settings

2nd test with everything off except default and NCA and SCA enabled - shorter pauses though the one over Santa Monica was about 3 seconds

3rd test - everything enabled but SCA and NCA disabled - no pause until Santa Monica then slight 0.5 - 1 second pause

Chris

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if this is the same thing that's happening around the Clacton(CLN) VOR in the UK for me?  I know others have reported it too and I think I remember it having something to do w/ Orbx Vector but I'm not sure.  Anyway, flying any departure out of the London area airports that cross this VOR is a complete "long pause" affair for me for about a 10nm radius around this VOR.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now