JoeFackel

From 3 HD Monitors to one big UHD TV - suggestions?

At the moment i use three 27" HD Monitors with Nvidias Surround view and i'm thinking about throwing them in the bin and make a switch to one UHD TV screen. Have anyone experience with an similar display setting change? What should i look for TV, are there technical details on the screen i must take care to have a good picture?

I sit around 1 metre in front of the screen, i guess i should not go beyond 42".

Thx for your input.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just my two cents... I have a 42-in 4K Samsung TV that is about 18-in from my nose when I lean a little forward as in when flying an instrument approach IMC,  maybe 24-in when I lean back a little as in browsing the forum, and I love it.  It is wide enough to give that IMAX experience and it is really easy to set up:  Plug in and play.  I get by with results I'm happy with at 4xMSAA.  Driving the display with a pair of 1080Ti's in SLI configuration.  Very happy with it.

I have a second screen, on a second computer that I use for Navigraph Desktop Charts and PFPX, as well as GMail and forum browsing while I'm 'flying.'  If I didn't have a second computer I'd at least have a laptop or tablet in addition to my simulation workstation.

55" 4K curved OLED here.  I sit about 4ft back from it.  Really sweet.

Cheers
bs

• Like 1

43" at 32" viewing distance for me. With the zoom level in sim that I like, the instruments are just under 1:1 with the real thing. I have to consciously and visibly shift my head/focus to go from outside the windows to inside the cockpit  (just like in a real airplane).

43 inch is a very good size. Samsung NU7100 and Vizio E series check most of the boxes if your on a budget.

The downside of a large screen is you don’t get the sharpness a smaller display gives. I’m really happy with my 32” UHD monitor but accept others want the immersion of larger displays. But you do lose out on sharpness.

I used to run 3 x 27" monitors and switched to a 65" curved OLED (Samsung if it matters). I would not happily switch back. I spent too much time aligning and re-aligning the screens, and color and contrast balancing them. I also like not being able to look over top of the screens when I am flying. I am typically sitting at between 24 and 30 inches from the screen which removes any traces of 'screen door' effect.

This is a potato quality shot of my display

For reference, my keyboard is 17.5 inches wide.

Edited by cnc3
improved clarity
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The downside of a large screen is you don’t get the sharpness a smaller display gives. I’m really happy with my 32” UHD monitor but accept others want the immersion of larger displays. But you do lose out on sharpness.

Incidentally, I ended up buying a BenQ PD3200U.  I had one of those "jaw drop" events the moment I switched the sim to 4K.  

For me 32" is a very good size.  I think if I went any bigger I would be overwhelmed.  I sit about 1 meter/3 ft+ from the screen I'd guess.

I use a laptop on my left-hand side for charts and checklists and that Garden Gnome game on Google.

• Upvote 1

Save 1 of the 27's (if room is available) for things like moving map, weather programs, undocked windows (gps, radios etc) and the like. Run your card as extended desktop, not Nvidia Surround. It will be a whole new sim.

If you have the money you could take a look at the 49” Samsung LC49 monitor ...

Myself I prefer 3 monitors above all. And as P3D now has a build in anti distortiin feature you might miss the wider FOV with just 1 monitor ...

1 hour ago, spokes2112 said:

Save 1 of the 27's (if room is available) for things like moving map, weather programs, undocked windows (gps, radios etc) and the like. Run your card as extended desktop, not Nvidia Surround. It will be a whole new sim.

Does Win10's extended desktop have any impact on performance?

To me, one big tv can't beat the 3-monitors setup which provide almost 180 degree of view. Being 'physically' to turn your head to look on your left or right side is far more realistic than pan the view left/right on a single display.

I made the same switch about a week ago. Went from 3 x 27 inch to one 49 inch Samsung UHD TV. Be aware that you will loose a little bit of the immersion because the view is not as wide any more. So in turns you don‘t get that same feeling of being in a turn as with the triple monitor setup. Nevertheless one single screen is great because you now also see the panel of the aircraft which is great. I would not go smaller than 49 inch. This size seems perfect to me. 

46 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

To me, one big tv can't beat the 3-monitors setup which provide almost 180 degree of view. Being 'physically' to turn your head to look on your left or right side is far more realistic than pan the view left/right on a single display.

On the other hand the view is very distorted with 3 monitors. And combining the large screen with TrackIR also gives you the opportunity to physically turn your head to look through the side windows. 

. I moved from a 40' 4K monitor to a 55' Samsung UHD 4K TV.   It completely changed the experience of simming for me and i would never go back.

• Like 2

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc? Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by? 

Ive been thinking of buying the 34” Alienware 1440p Screen, but might rethink it if a big 4K tv is the way to go...

37 minutes ago, chris512 said:

Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by?

Yes.  And it seems some people don't understand how to make that technology work yet.  Anyone saying that using a large(r) screen TV will give you "less clear" output simply doesn't know how to use it.

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  No need to use a bunch of "tweaks" for any of it either.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done...if someone wants to learn how to do it.

Please...PLEASE...if you DON'T know how to make a hardware system work, quit telling people it WON'T work.  This forum should be an educational venue that passes on ACCURATE information for people looking for information.   

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

Yes.  And it seems some people don't understand how to make that technology work yet.  Anyone saying that using a large(r) screen TV will give you "less clear" output simply doesn't know how to use it.

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done.

Please...PLEASE...if you DON'T know how to make a hardware system work, quit telling people it WON'T work.  This forum should be an educational venue that passes on ACCURATE information for people looking for information.   

I agree Ryan, I think a lot of people make comments based on anectdotal  information. The big thing a lot of people forget and have no understanding of, is viewing distances. Any monitor, regardless of how good it is, will appear blurry or low resolution if you sit close enough. 

My 49 inch TV is perfectly sharp and by no means inferior to a monitor. Since it is 4K, it has even higher PPI than a 27 inch HD monitor. So why would it be a problem to use a 49 inch screen as a desktop monitor?

Edited by carlito777

1 hour ago, chris512 said:

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc?

Untrue on all counts.  It's a superior experience because of the size you can get relative to PC monitors.  4K is 4K. 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t tell anyone not to use it? I was just asking a question... Isn’t that the whole point of a forum?

2 hours ago, chris512 said:

How are you all finding using a big 4K tv as a computer monitor? I thought it wasn’t advisable to use one as the text is blurry etc? Has something changed in tv technology that’s passed me by? 

Ive been thinking of buying the 34” Alienware 1440p Screen, but might rethink it if a big 4K tv is the way to go...

Nothing blurry about the text on my 58" UHD.

2 hours ago, FalconAF said:

I've been using a Samsung 65" UHD 4K Curved TV as my monitor for well over a year now.  Using ONLY ONE nvidia 1080 GPU (not even a 1080ti) HDMI-cabled from the GPU to the TV with the resolution in P3D set to 4096 x 2160 and there isn't anything "blurry" in the display.  No performance issues whatsoever using ORBX, PMDG, ActiveSky for P3Dv4, REX SkyForce for P3Dv4 (for textures), and a few other addons.  No need to use a bunch of "tweaks" for any of it either.  I sit in a recliner about 4 feet away from it.  And my "sliders" in P3D are all set to at least "dense" or better.  Yes...it can be done...if someone wants to learn how to do it.

Totally agree! . I use a Samsung 55" 4K UDH serie 7. It is crystal clear when I am sitting 80-100 cm from the screen. Buying a 55" 4K is my best investment for immersive flight simming.

• Like 2

The reason some TVs show text sharper than others is because they include Chroma 4:4:4. Not all TVs do. Just the better ones.

When i posted about the possibility of using a TV as a monitor Andrew Wilson of FS Labs recommended a Samsung which did. They use that TV at the recent Cosford FS show in England.

In the end I chose a monitor for space reasons.

If you want to check if your TV supports Chroma 4:4:4 visit this site and do the test.

https://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how-to-quickly-check-the-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

3 hours ago, chris512 said:

Chris,

You can use a TV as a monitor but you need to chose carefully. See my earlier post about the importance of Chroma 4:4:4. If the TV supports it it should be fine. If it doesn't then text in Windows Explorer for example will be affected and won't be as easy to read as a TV that does support 4:4:4.

A monitor with a 1440 resolution is only 30% sharper than 1920*1080. I found gauges not significantly sharper. But in UHD - 3840*2160 - it's 4 times as sharp as 1920*1080 but you do need a more powerful graphics card. 1080 Ti for example.