rsrandazzo

[26JAN19] It is Saturday. Let's have share some PBR!

Captains,

For those of us encroaching on 50 years of age, the acroynm "PBR" has a completely different meaning than it does for younger simmers- which of course has become the root for many a conversation of late here at PMDG.

If you listen closely, you almost hear the laughter coming from the dev team when someone posts in this forum, "hey- when are you going to give us some PBR?"

Well...:ph34r:

It is saturday.  Let's throw some steak on the grill and have ourselves some PBR, shall we? 

PMDG_744_PBR_4.jpg

Jason has been hard at work revamping the models to accommodate Lockheed Martin's new "Physics Based Rendering" capability.  This has required a significant amount of work, especially since our 747 product line includes 14 different airframes that must each be adjusted to account for the new capability.

Each airplane takes about two days to get right- and of course there are the inevitable tweaks and touch-ups- so we are seeing a productivity rate of about one airplane every three days or so.

But the results...

PMDG_744_PBR_6.jpg

Quite a bit has been written about how PBR enhances the visual quality of the airplane- and I will admit to having been a bit skeptical that this was something that would really improve the visual quality- but after seeing Jason's work in the sim, I am a believer.

The scattering of light and the way it plays off of surfaces of different qualities is really convincing- especially when you see it dynamically within the simulator.

PMDG_744_PBR_7.jpg

We chose a polished aluminum 744 as a demonstrator because in the simming world, polished aluminum has always been the "holy grail" of livery capabilities.  As your viewpoint moves around the airplane, the reflection of surrounding terrain and structures plays off of the surface, even in windows and off of painted surfaces in a way that you wind up almost not noticing- because it looks so "normal" to your eye.

It is this normality of reflection that really brings the shape and surface of the airplane to life- and the results are simply stunning.

PMDG_744_PBR_8.jpg

With any new capability- we have spent some time playing with it in order to come up with the right balance of things.  For example, dealing with the various surface qualities in order to make them look correct within the simulator:  The winglets on most airliners tend to be a semi-gloss after even a short time in service, and this causes them to reflect light differently than, say, the metallic surfaces on the leading edge.  This had to be accounted for, along with the way flush vs. button rivets reflect light differently- and cause the structural lines of the airplane to stand out.

These things (like the vapor effects so many simmers seem to love) can be easily over-blown to the point where they look ridiculous, so we had to play with these effects quite a bit before setting in with a version that we feel looks correct.

PMDG_744_PBR_9.jpg

We are planning to give the PBR updates to our beta team next week- and we anticipate a quick turn from testing to release for all of you.  The update will cover the entire 747 product line (744/748) and will push via the PMDG Operations Center once it is available.

It may take us a few days to get all of the liveries in the PMDG Operations Center updated once we are ready to release- and we will push the updated paintkits so that livery painters can add the necessary bits to their liveries as desired as well.

A couple of important notes:  Lockheed Martin is still tuning this technology- and while they have done a spectacular job of adding this capability without any discernible impact on performance- there are a few hiccups to be resolved still.  Primary in the area of concern for us is that PBR doesn't work properly at night yet- but their fix for this is coming..  We do not anticipate it will require any further updates to our models once they do issue that fix- which is good!

Anyway- thanks for hanging out and sharing some PBR.  Enjoy your weekend!

• Like 30
  • Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Robert can we have this for the NGX?

Will it be standard for the NG3?

Bonus: When can we see VC shots of the NG3? 

Thank you Sir!
Ron

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never knew what PBR was even though I am over 70! Now I do know. Thanks, RR.🍺

Wonderful news Robert and team looking forward to it and thankyou for all your hard work PMDG.

Can't wait! It's amazing to see how a beautiful plane can be made even more beautiful!!!

Just looking at that livery gives me a headache. And no, it has nothing to do with the airplane.

Am I the only one that actually thinks that livery looks great?!?  Not being sarcastic, it really does look like it belongs.

Can you show us a few more liveries. Like the Cargolux?

When I read "encroaching on 50 years of age" and "PBR", I immediately thought of Pre-Balding Regime".😁

haha - you all...

These comments are hilarious. Thank you.

[Referencing the ones that are meant to be funny, I mean. For the serious comments: thank you, too.]

Edited by scandinavian13

I remember PBR Robert.

But this PBR lighting, I really can't see any difference.  Do you think you could post side by side shots of PBR and non-PBR and maybe point out the differences?  If you want to and have the time.

Just now, Jack_Sawyer said:

I remember PBR Robert.

But this PBR lighting, I really can't see any difference.  Do you think you could post side by side shots of PBR and non-PBR and maybe point out the differences?  If you want to and have the time.

The pictures never really do it justice. It's more of a thing you have to see in the sim, as it's really clear as the camera angle changes.

Side by side pictures of no-PBR versus PBR help a little, too.

This one shows it pretty well, in that you can see the change in how it renders the shiny surface on the skin versus the joints:

PMDG_744_PBR_8.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Kyle, I would love to see side by side with red arrows pointing out the difference, if not possible then that’s ok.

23 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks Kyle, I would love to see side by side with red arrows pointing out the difference, if not possible then that’s ok.

I'll mention it to the crew!

• Like 1

Jack,

I know what you mean when you say that you aren't sure you can see it.  When Jason started sending progress images over to the rest of the team, I sorta looked at them and made approving noises because I figured everyone else must be seeing something I wasn't...

Then he sent over a live model, and I loaded it in the sim expecting to have the same experience- and instead I was blown away.

If you walk outside and look at a car driving by- you are entirely unaware of how much light and reflection there is on that car- until you take all of that surface light-play away. 

I'm not sure I have time to put together comparison images- but when you see it "in sim" I suggest you tie your shoes on extra tight because it will knock your socks off.

• Like 5

Y'all missed a good opportunity to fly the MAX in formation and get it in the reflection.

Alex Pugh

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Then he sent over a live model, and I loaded it in the sim expecting to have the same experience- and instead I was blown away.

Fully Agree!

You can't fully appreciate the experience in screenshots, period.

The best I could do when I put out my 1st metal PBR paint was to get some angles that I could highlight just what to look for....like the ones in this post.

Getting low ground shots while taxiing and seeing the taxi lines, signs, buildings, ramp traffic zipping by in the the reflection of the aircraft's fuse will simply...well blow you away like RR said. 🙂

Can't wait to see my Flying Tigers paint in PBR!

I’m with you on this Robert it’s like you said seeing it on a picture or photo is absolutely completely different from seeing it in the sim.I don’t have PBR but i know if i buff up the graphics in the sim and do a outside view and turn the plane around 360 you see all the lighting and sun reflections on the QOTS and all wonderful stuff and this PBR will be iceing on the cake even more so.🥳😊

Thanks for the update! I was just wondering if this update will only be for the 747-400/8? Or will the B77L be updated later on?

Thanks, Robert Diaz

Would you not prefer instead the champagne of bottled beers? MHL?