Rasterfahnder

REX Sky Force technical update 2.2 available

Nice, thanks for the heads-up Rasterfahnder.

I purchased yesterday and it shows ver  5.0.2019.0517

bob

6 minutes ago, onebob said:

I purchased yesterday and it shows ver  5.0.2019.0517 

bob

Isn't that an Environment Force build, not SF?

The REX version numbering systems is such that both EF and SF have very similar version numbers. From the REX forums :

REX 5 – Environment Force (Build: 5.0.2019.0420 OR 5.0.2019.0503) This is the "base" EF version, upon which the Technical Update 1.1 should be installed.

REX Sky Force 3D (Build:  5.0.2019.0410) This is the "base" SF version, upon which the Technical Update 2.2 should be installed.

Most confusing product line I've ever come across. Thanks for the update though REX. 

• Upvote 1

After the SF update, the build number is now 2019.0514

working great 🙂

Posted (edited)

SkyFarce finally delivers!

Edited by Drumcode
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

SkyFarce finally delivers!

SkyFarce...come on now...That's not really fair to say.  Sure they are having some issues but they are working hard to get it right.  Give them some slack. I have no problems with SkyForce..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

SkyForce rocks! 👍

• Like 2

Finally working again. I think it is a testament that Sky Force is really a good program for me to miss it so much when it's not working. It's a huge upgrade over default clouds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JasonPC said:

Finally working again. I think it is a testament that Sky Force is really a good program for me to miss it so much when it's not working. It's a huge upgrade over default clouds.

Glad you got it working.

Despite all the negative publicity REX has received  here at AVSIM, I would still highly recommend REX SkyForce 3D to any new user who wants the best looking clouds & structures, as well as the sky colors. The best weather engine is till ASP4!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DJJose said:

Despite all the negative publicity REX has received  here at AVSIM, I would still highly recommend REX SkyForce 3D to any new user who wants the best looking clouds & structures, as well as the sky colors. The best weather engine is till ASP4!

Yep I agree combo is ASP4 + SF+ EF 😎

Posted (edited)

I find that some of the skyforce cloud textures absolutely obliterate my frame rate, from a locked 25 down to 10 in some cases, I own a home cockpit so only use a full outside view also. This on an i7 9700k @4.9 and a 1080ti...

I like SF but dont use it now for this reason, wish there was a way to exclude certain texture sets  

Edited by kand

Are you using 512 DXT5 textures? No set should be any worse than the other as they are all the same size and quality.

• Upvote 2

1024 dxt5, I dont like the look of 512 because as you get up close you can see the low res. I dont have this issue with ASCA or Envtex. Rex acknowledged that some of the heavy hitting textures would be corrected in the creative update but that seems ages ago now. 

5 hours ago, kand said:

Rex acknowledged that some of the heavy hitting textures would be corrected in the creative update but that seems ages ago now. 

That is not true. We acknowledged that some 'heavy hitting' cloud models would be corrected, which was performed already. However, we are looking into a more frame friendly solution across the board for cloud models in our Creative Update 1. 

6 hours ago, JasonPC said:

No set should be any worse than the other as they are all the same size and quality.

Very true. Same with all texture products. 

I wonder did anyone try to compare the weather generated by Hifi Active Sky and the Skyforce built-in weather engine? I ask this because I read that SF introduced a lot more cloud models compared to Hifi ASCA, When using the REX SF weather engine, surely the engine will use all the cloud models REX developed, but how about AS? Does AS actually use the additional cloud models introduced by REX? I have no idea how the weather engines work in background, just curious is there any huge difference between the visual generated by the two engines.

It does use cloud structures when using ASP4. I need to do some testing to see if the cloud structures are any better using REX’s weather engine but so far it looks spectacular with ASP4.

2 hours ago, JasonPC said:

It does use cloud structures when using ASP4. I need to do some testing to see if the cloud structures are any better using REX’s weather engine but so far it looks spectacular with ASP4.

Great! Please report back after your test or post the comparison screenshot.