Sign in to follow this  
MaDDogz

Orbx.........how to purchase.

So I’ve read all the reason why Orbx has dropped PayPal.

It is what it is...  😕 

i will not under any circumstances, enter my long card number, expire date and cvs number into a vender that takes no responsibility if things go south. Stripe, never heard of them..but are as good as PayPal so certain people would like us to believe. No they are not. Period.

How are others doing it without entering your card details online? 

Do I really, in this day in age, have to go to my bank, open a separate account, wait 3-5 days for card to arrive, load it with credit, and go about it that way???

Not liking having to jump through hoops to give my money to someone else!

Luke Pype

40 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

i will not under any circumstances, enter my long card number, expire date and cvs number into a vender that takes no responsibility if things go south.

If something happens then your credit card company will reverse the charges, cancel the card and issue a new one.

Its not much different than using your credit card anywhere else as the number can be hacked in many ways.

I use my American Airlines card exclusively to pay for all my expenses so that I get the miles to travel for free. In 8 years of doing that, I’ve had two fraudulent attempts happen where somehow, someone got the info and tried to use it. Citi Bank who issues the card promptly took care of reversing the charges and sending me a new card.

Theres not really that much doom and gloom if it happens. If you open a bank account, get a debit card, the same thing can happen and you’ll have to go through the same process. 

I’m not sure I understand the fear associated with using a credit card online and having a fraudulent transaction occur. Most, if not all credit card companies have protection for the user should that happen and you won’t be on the hook for the money spent.

I actually use my card exclusively when I travel, which might seem even more dangerous, but outweighs the thought of loosing or getting robbed of cash that you’ll never get back.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

55 minutes ago, MaDDogz said:

So I’ve read all the reason why Orbx has dropped PayPal.

It is what it is...  😕 

i will not under any circumstances, enter my long card number, expire date and cvs number into a vender that takes no responsibility if things go south. Stripe, never heard of them..but are as good as PayPal so certain people would like us to believe. No they are not. Period.

How are others doing it without entering your card details online? 

Do I really, in this day in age, have to go to my bank, open a separate account, wait 3-5 days for card to arrive, load it with credit, and go about it that way???

There is nothing to fear. 

You will have to accept their payment method if you want use their products.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to generalize as each bank has a different policies. But most will reimburse you in case of proven and legitimate problem. Ask yours. Keeping in mind that software is generally not refundable.

I live in a country where CC use is widespread for everyday life, tolls on the highway, parking tolls, groceries, doctors, and so on and so forth And, of course, on-line purchases.  That includes for me about 50 OrbX products (and P3D !).

Not any problem so far. I decided once to cancel my card because I had a doubt after my Steam account games were hijacked by a Russian fellow but there was actually no use of the card.

My  2 cents.

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Here in Oz we have a "Load and Go" type of Visa/Mastercard. When you're ready to purchase anything, just load the card with the required amount. If the card gets hacked all they get is the amount you have on the card. No issues so far. 👍

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

1 hour ago, MaDDogz said:

Yes, that's exactly how you will have to do it - and the reason why I haven't bought anything anymore from them since they dropped PayPal (nor from any other company who followed suit).

What many here don't realise is that there are quite a number of countries where credit cards are not that common, and PayPal let you get around that by directly debiting to your bank account. 

But no, that's out of the question here, and companies like Orbx demand that you, the customer, incurr additional charges by signing up to a card provider.

In the meantime I have realised that there are quite a number of other developers out there who also do stellar work - so actually I guess that I almost have to be grateful that I was "forced" to abandon them 😄

Cheers

Mallard

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Theres not really that much doom and gloom if it happens. If you open a bank account, get a debit card, the same thing can happen and you’ll have to go through the same process. 

Thanks for the info, Sean(?).

i would use another card with zero balance, only transferring funds to the card when I needed to use it...so always zero balance if it gets in the wrong hands.

1 hour ago, domkle said:

I wouldn't want to generalize as each bank has a different policies. But most will reimburse you in case of proven and legitimate problem. Ask yours. Keeping in mind that software is generally not refundable.

I live in a country where CC use is widespread for everyday life, tolls on the highway, parking tolls, groceries, doctors, and so on and so forth And, of course, on-line purchases.  That includes for me about 50 OrbX products (and P3D !).

Not any problem so far. I decided once to cancel my card because I had a doubt after my Steam account games were hijacked by a Russian fellow but there was actually no use of the card.

My  2 cents.

In my household credit cards are devil cards. I use debit card. I’ve never asked about online protection policies, I will need to ask.

35 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Here in Oz we have a "Load and Go" type of Visa/Mastercard. When you're ready to purchase anything, just load the card with the required amount. If the card gets hacked all they get is the amount you have on the card. No issues so far. 👍

This seems the most safest way.

30 minutes ago, Mallard said:

Yes, that's exactly how you will have to do it - and the reason why I haven't bought anything anymore from them since they dropped PayPal (nor from any other company who followed suit).

What many here don't realise is that there are quite a number of countries where credit cards are not that common, and PayPal let you get around that by directly debiting to your bank account. 

But no, that's out of the question here, and companies like Orbx demand that you, the customer, incurr additional charges by signing up to a card provider.

In the meantime I have realised that there are quite a number of other developers out there who also do stellar work - so actually I guess that I almost have to be grateful that I was "forced" to abandon them 😄

Cheers

Mallard

It has stopped me in tracks too. My problem is the scenery is not available elsewhere.

ive never needed a CC...and I see them as 1st class ticket to debt land.

simmarket was going to drop PP but didn’t. If they can sort it out I’m sure as hell orbx could of. But no...let’s have a tantrum instead.....and word not allowed off hundreds of people in the meantime.

what sort of person does that and then still walks around with their head held high....

the world over, uses PP. why is the attitude carried that they are above that?

meh, I’m waffling now

Thanks for your input guys

Luke Pype

This is of no help to the OP but it might be of interest to those who live in the USA. By federal law a credit card holder has no liability if their credit card number is stolen and used for a fraudulent purchase. None....zero....zilch. You're much more likely to have your number stolen by the teenage waiter in the local restaurant or a card skimmer at the gas station than you will by using the card on-line. I've gone through this 3-4 times over the years and have never had to pay for any of it (and one of the hits was to my American Express card for over USD$20,000)..........Doug 

PS: Stripe, BTW, is a very reputable company.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Thanks for your input guys

Based on your current comments, I am going to assume that you haven't seen the reason why Orbx decided to stop dealing with Paypal. If that is not a good assumption, please don't read the remainder of this post.

Orbx quit taking PayPal for the same reason that many vendors have stopped taking PayPal. PayPal, on a single unsubstantiated complaint, or on a single false positive from their automated monitoring system, can completely freeze all payments to a vendor for ANY length of time they deem necessary to do a review of those transactions.

Orbx had, according to Jon V., 6 digits worth of payments held up in PayPal review. This money that pays employees, office expenses, and production supplies such as aerial imaging. 6 digits of funds is a LOT of money to business the size of Orbx. A month of this kind of monetary hold can put a business into substantial debt that ultimately is passed on to the consumer. 

Feel free to ignore my explanation if it offers you no solace.

Edited by yurei
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

In my household credit cards are devil cards. I use debit card. I’ve never asked about online protection policies, I will need to ask.

For years I primarily use a debit card for everything then one day my debit card was declined when buying groceries. Turned out the card number had been hacked and they wiped out my bank account. Of course the bank covered it and reinstated some of the money as a temporary credit while they investigated it.

I used to consider credit cards as debt builders as well but then realized, if I was going to use my debit card for the majority of my expenses, why not switch to a miles or points card and get something in return for my purchases. I basically use my credit card now for all purchase and don’t use the debit card and just pay the credit card off at the end of the period. It works out the same as using a debit card since I’m spending the same amount of money and don’t pay any interest since I pay it off each month. In return I now have a few hundred thousand American Airlines miles I can use for free airline tickets and don’t have to worry about someone wiping out my checking account.

• Upvote 2

It is simple, apply for a debit card from PayPal. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

have never had to pay for any of it (and one of the hits was to my American Express card for over USD$20,000)..........Doug 

Oh my!

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I've set up my debit card and all fourteen of my credit cards to send me an SMS for any transaction amount over $100 for my approval. This happens during the transaction, so I have to reply to the SMS either Y/N immediately before the transaction is completed.

A few years ago I received an SMS from Barclay seeking approval for an $1800 on-line sale from a company I've never heard of. Of course I declined to approve the transaction...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

13 hours ago, rocketlaunch said:

It is simple, apply for a debit card from PayPal. 

2. Eligibility

To be eligible for the Card you need to have a UK PayPal Business account. We may reject applications for Cards at our sole discretion.

You may only use your Card(s) for business expenses.

corrected,see below 

11 hours ago, Samaritano said:

I use Privacy virtual credit cards and it works great.

I’m a UK citizen, only available to US citizens.

11 hours ago, n4gix said:

I've set up my debit card and all fourteen of my credit cards to send me an SMS for any transaction amount over $100 for my approval. This happens during the transaction, so I have to reply to the SMS either Y/N immediately before the transaction is completed.

A few years ago I received an SMS from Barclay seeking approval for an $1800 on-line sale from a company I've never heard of. Of course I declined to approve the transaction...

Wow bill..14 cards!?! 😳

why so many? 😄

I like the sound of a sms before hand. I’ll be asking if that’s something my bank can offer.

17 hours ago, yurei said:

Based on your current comments, I am going to assume that you haven't seen the reason why Orbx decided to stop dealing with Paypal. 

First sentence of the first post 😁 Thanks though. I read all posts about it.

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype