Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

October 10th - Insider Update

4K Ultra HD refers to a resolution of 3840x2160, no matter what the true resolution of the source is. The overwhelming majority of movies are upscaled from a 2K resolution, but the final resolution is 3840x2160, so that is Ultra HD. There are also some native 4K movies that will instead be downscaled to 3840x2160, that is Ultra HD too. And if there is letterboxing due to an aspect ratio different than 16:9, it is most likely encoded into the video stream so you are still watching Ultra HD.

4096x2160 is indeed the full frame of the 4K resolution, but crops to fit certain aspect ratios are still considered 4K.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:47 AM, ChaoticBeauty said:

Feature Discovery Series Episode 1 (WORLD): https://cdn.microsoftstudios.com/fsi/videos/LionelV7.mp4?_=1

on the page the above link jumps to, right mouse click in Firefox  will allow to download this video LionelV7.MP4 to your computer.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, jaytee73 said:

Just as many people don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between megabits (Mbs) and Megabytes(MBs) - which are 8 mega bits to a Byte 

The term "resolution" - is just as difficult to pick up. 4K is just a way of expressing 3860pixels X 2160 pixels - and it does not define the Quality of each pixel - it is just a measure of Size. Think!! - it is the same pixel that gets Stretched exponentially - to fill  a number of larger TV screens i.e. - A pixel can be any size you like - it is the quality of the RGB content that matters in each pixel.

Earlier - I gave an example of quality of pixels comparing the photographic terms that can also be applied to TV pixels - Your mobile phone uses a software that takes a quality of pixels in Mps (megapixels) - (a quality compared to the Mbs ) - called .JPG - that is - a 1/4 of the quality of a true digital picture we call .BMPs - a measure of the quality in the number of bitmaps in a PIXEL. The same applies to a TV pixel.

Genuine "4K" TV is  filmed in a digital camera that  can give something similar to a still digital camera - e.g. a .BMP quality. "Ultra HD" is an upscaled 1960 x 1080 TV pixel - ie  Upscaled HD as we know it and used. The eventual quality depends upon how the software is used to expand exponentially - each pixel.  In photography I use an increase of 5% per step up - which helps to keep the stretch in control)

All video whether its on blu rays / streamed / digital tv or Foxtels satellite is all compressed.    Different providers use different compression technics.

Uncompressed 4k video is 4096 x 2160 pixels.  Using 24 bit values to store each pixel data will run at about 2.6 Terrabytes an hour.  Even 4k Blu rays are compressed.

Why 4k video has anything to do with Microsoft streaming data rates (Buildings, textures etc) i have no idea.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, jaytee73 said:

All my TV comes thro the satellite dish on my roof - provided by Foxtel - and as to reacting too inputs from me - I can assure you that when I press my remote for say a menu or channel change - the reaction via satellite is instantaneous in milliseconds - and as fast as my gaming mouse and keyboard. The only problem with satellite TV-  is when it rains hard and the signal is blocked. 

However - I withdraw my suggestion that "you get Dished" - for MS2020 - but if you want genuine 4K TV ------

You are clueless here.  The satellite is a 1 way connection.  The complete Foxtel feed comes into your foxtel box (Every Foxtel channel)  Your foxtel box decodes this feed and outputs what channel you have selected. Pressing a button on the remote is just changing which feed to display within the box.  Your box never talks back to Foxtel via satellite.  The only way your box talks back is via the phone line plugged in.  Foxtel uses video compression on all its channels including its 4k channel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is it possible to move this HD - UHD - 4K discussion to a dedicated thread?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

Please! 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:58 PM, Torg Smith said:

I have no doubts my former 70Mb was enough to stream the data. What I was wondering was if the 400 was enough for the max capabilities of their streaming setup. I did not see the 4Mb comment, so was unaware of it. Did they say the high detail was the max, or if it was just enough to use that setting?

Thanks, no problem Torg! The comment regarding the streaming is around the 30 minute mark. The developer says he has a 4 Megabit DSL connection and is able to stream the highest details. Take from that what you want but I think anybody with a reasonable broadband connection (I.e.10Mb/s) should be fine, but I couldn't say a jet for example wouldn't cause some issues at entry level broadband speeds. As ever we'll have to wait until this gets into more hands to find out for sure.

https://www.flightsim.com/images/features/msfdev/FlightSim.com-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Interview_AUDIO.m4a

I have a feeling, that this topic had gone off the rails...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

3 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

I have a feeling, that this topic had gone off the rails...

Like any other topic concerning FS2020 these days 😕

Edited by Johnny19
  • Like 2

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

On 10/12/2019 at 1:56 AM, F737NG said:

Didn't stop Majestic designing and developing a realistic Dash-8 Q400 for P3D which is renown for its poor replication of turboprop simulation.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

...but the beechcraft king air is a turboprop and that comes with FSX as standard 🙂 A rotary aircraft has fundamentally different flight characteristics which may or may not be possible from the SDK. I guess we now know the SDK will be coming with the Tech Alpha release so 3PD if they can get there hands on a copy of the sim wouldn't have long to find out. 🤞

Tech alpha signup finishes tomorrow so if want in you need to get your finger out.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

23 hours ago, Vindeballe said:

Is it possible to move this HD - UHD - 4K discussion to a dedicated thread?

Yup! Not sure why the discussion of HD UHD 4K TV here, maybe some peoples think the new MSFS is an upcoming movie.

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Tech alpha signup finishes tomorrow so if want in you need to get your finger out.

The link provided is broken, and when I try to sign up on the website's Insider Program sign-up page I'm never sent the email confirmation for the sign-up I've requested.

System seems broken or disabled...I've already tried in multiple browsers without any luck.

3 minutes ago, hangar said:

The link provided is broken, and when I try to sign up on the website's Insider Program sign-up page I'm never sent the email confirmation for the sign-up I've requested.

System seems broken or disabled...I've already tried in multiple browsers without any luck.

If you mean the link on the original post, you have to be part of the Insider Program to be able to view it. Before signing up, are you sure you have signed in with your Microsoft account in the website? If yes, could the e-mail be in your spam folder?

1 minute ago, rjetster1 said:

That release just might be at Flight Sim Expo in Las Vegas in June, I am thinking, But maybe not as they might want to make it a Christmas splash instead.

Howard

I think all of the MSFS2020 fireworks will be at E3 2020 to Take Place June 9-11 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Not to say they won’t have something at FS Expo 2020.