Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

7 hours ago, cwburnett said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said. My only point is that us 4k users CAN operate in complex scenery environments with reasonable settings AND have the new water and atmospherics turned up all the way AND not run out of VRAM.  On my system in 4.5 in this environment I would need to turn down a number of things from these settings to stay at 30fps, including autogen/scenery objects and possibly turn of SSAA.  I will test a couple other things later, including replicating that with the AS A330, which is harder on frames than the Dash or Maddog.

As for v5 overall, it has problems no doubt. I can't change views without a CTD and the OOVM CTD remains unacceptable in this age of DX12 gaming, so this isn't an 'all is well' post. This is just data related to the VRAM usage topic.

Finally, I found it interesting that I can't run with these settings at LVFR KMIA. There I will OOVM CTD if I don't set my textures down to 1024. So far, that's the only place harder on my GPU VRAM than norcal, but there are plenty more places to try.  And I do agree that with an 8GB GPU having to lower texture sizes to 1024 logical or reasonable.

I have to correct myself, my ADDENDUM above.  I set up the identical flight or close to it w/ your settings in the Dash 8 as I mentioned and had poor performance.   I have been perplexed and trying everything I could think of to get rid of an odd loss of fluid animation that is foreign to my 4y prior experience w/ UNLIMITED vsync to 30Hz:   having the CPU show only 72%, GPU 68%, and yet getting some odd brief spurts of stutter, and the interval between decent, but not the totally smooth fluid performance I am used to.  Well, turned out I need to rebuild Prepar3D.cfg and all is back to wonderful again.  Actually I just save a virgin configured copy and just dropped it in.  Anyway, I will re-do that test sometime soon now that all's working as it should again.  Just flew out of KBJC in the Phenom 300 w/ GTN750 w/ maxed out scenery sliders--totally smooth, awesome visuals.  4.5 is quite good thankfully.  I will keep watching v5 and see at what point it's really worth the hassle and cost. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Why wouldn’t they  have released  it now?

its working on many simmers machines.

again it’s the best method for LM to get feedback and address issues that arise to suit.As many of us have different systems.

and for those who think msfs2020 will not have any issues on release. 
Are all in lala  land!

The best method to address issues is a proper alpha and beta testing schedule.  Not to use paying customers as de facto beta testers.

• Like 2

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

On 4/17/2020 at 12:23 PM, Nuno Pinto said:

But you have 11GB (9.something available?). Everyone i know with 11GB+ doesn't have OOM issues.

I've got a Titan Xp (12GB) and I am still seeing these crashes.

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

2 hours ago, PurdueKev said:

I've got a Titan Xp (12GB) and I am still seeing these crashes.

Ouch. Like @CaptainIronside above, i also have issues with LatinVFR LEMD, except right now on the laptop with the 1070 8GB i cannot even load the scenery with 2K textures at 1440p.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

16 hours ago, mpo910 said:

During the 32bit decade we had ooms......now we have them back......from ram to vram....

I also would like to see LM programm it correctly and the sim does not ctd due this effect. This is not properly done in my opinion.

Marcus

I think it was virtual address space rather than the RAM itself.

Either way, it is not good if we now have a different flavour of OOM's with a new sim!

Stu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

3 hours ago, CaptainIronside said:

I had a crash around LVFR Madrid after reaching 9.2/9.2gb with my 1080ti, reduced textures to 2k and haven't had an issue since. 

Oh this is not good.

Like others have said, if you have an 8GB card, get comfortable with texture resolution set to 1024. That's the only way I can cruise around FlyTampa KLAS in the F-22, let alone, sit at the gate with the NGXu, and I'm barely making it with ~300MB head room. And mind you, no weather addons running. I fear once Active Sky gets things sorted, 11GB cards will be the bare minimum requirements. Performance wise, P3D has never run smoother on my system and it's really astonishing. 

Also keep in mind, any application running during P3D may or may not cut into your quota. For example, I normally sit at xx/6.6, but, playing a youtube video while flying cost me a little and was sitting at xx/6.3. However having a browser open with many random tabs open and several other lighter applications running had no effect on my max quota. 

Edited by SolRayz

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Just had a crash on LVFR Miami, already starting the sim over there results in 9.0/9.2gb of VRAM filled. No chance to fly around with my settings there, furthermore, the performance is just below anything else at KMIA, not comparable to other big sceneries. Sitting on EHAM from FlyTampa with TE Netherlands active, I not even reach 7.0/9.2gb. I guess, LVFR needs to do some adjustments of their sceneries...

BTW, @Rob_Ainscough does your max_texture_request_distance tweak still work for you? I took the value I used in 4.5 (160'000) and bam!, VRAM is filled extremely fast...

Edited by AnkH

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The big thing with 64 bit was finnaly getting rid of ooms freeing developers . Now we are in a worse situation . I do hope LM can find a way of managing the VRAM without crashing the sim or having a recovery error . The add on situation is so complex impossible to balance 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

3 minutes ago, cannow said:

The big thing with 64 bit was finnaly getting rid of ooms freeing developers . Now we are in a worse situation . I do hope LM can find a way of managing the VRAM without crashing the sim or having a recovery error . The add on situation is so complex impossible to balance 

LM said it is working on a fix to address this issue.. How many times I have to keep repeating it..

S.

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

LM said it is working on a fix to address this issue.. How many times I have to keep repeating it..

S.

I think there needs to be a sticky post that shows up at the top of each page of this thread. 😉

• Like 2

.....smug P3Dv4 user wanders past and prepares for another enjoyable and problem free flight with 6GB VRAM (half of which is probably not even used) :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

.....smug P3Dv4 user wanders past and prepares for another enjoyable and problem free flight with 6GB VRAM (half of which is probably not even used) :biggrin:

Yeah but it's all choppy and stuttery. I just can't go back. 😁

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

12 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Why wouldn’t they  have released  it now?

its working on many simmers machines.

again it’s the best method for LM to get feedback and address issues that arise to suit.As many of us have different systems.

and for those who think msfs2020 will not have any issues on release. 
Are all in lala  land!

I actually haven't got a problem with them releasing V5, they should of just been a bit more up front beforehand that some users might have issues, I've had no CTD yet, but I understand the frustrations with the many simmers who have had problems, there are plenty of bugs which i'd expect to be sorted asap.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, simbol said:

LM said it is working on a fix to address this issue.. How many times I have to keep repeating it.

Until that fix I’m happily flying GA in v5 and airliners in v4.5, I highly recommend it!

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU