Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Lighting is incredible

Amidst all of the moaning about some switch or other not working, I am just in awe of the majesty of the graphics engine in this sim. The way the lighting works is nothing short of staggering. I was flying across the coast, in the west of Scotland, and made a trip across to a group of islands. Don’t ask me where, because I was just sightseeing, and made it up as I went along. Anyhow, the sun had all but disappeared, and instead of just being a perfectly round, orange disc slipping behind the horizon, I was amazed to see it was breaking up and shimmering with the heat haze and atmospheric conditions. It just looked so photogenic and real.  Worthy of the cover of National Geographic.

Further on, as I passed over one of the islands, I crested a hill to be greeted by the sight of a small, fishing village. The street lights, and the lights of houses and buildings just looked so incredibly realistic as they shone through the dusk. Then I spotted a wind turbine at the edge of the village, and it’s blades were reflecting the hues of light and colour from the village, and it’s upper blade was just catching the final, dying rays of the sun. And it was just such a wow moment. I never, ever thought I would see something of this calibre in a flight sim.  And this is from a day 1, out-of-the-box sim.  I’m in total awe. Cannot wait for VR to be included. 

• Like 17
  • Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

The sims biggest asset is the lighting. Every other sim looks like a video game and MSFS looks realistic because of the lighting.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Yes, truly stunning. Which is why all the bugs and weird aircraft behaviour is so annoying. Once fixed though, and once 3rd party stuff is available, this will of course be THE sim. No question about it. Imagine PMDG 737 or similar, settings on high and HP Reverb G2 VR.

With the upcoming Geforce 3080 ti, I think it might be doable. Granted, you need some major cash to get that on. But when that happens I would like to travel back in time, visit myself in 1998 when I ran Flightsim 98 with the 3DFX patch and thought "this is it...it simply can't look any better!"

I'd like to talk to that guy 🙂

• Like 2

Yup. It's a really amazing looking thing.

I live about three miles away from EGCC, where I work. I loaded up the new MS sim the other evening with an aeroplane at EGCC. When I looked out of my window toward the real airport, the light and colour in the sky was identical to what was depicted on my PC screen in the sim. It was kind of freaky that it had it so well replicated.

• Like 10

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Building a 3D model I understand, painting textures or even developing a soundscape. But I can't even imagine what kind of work goes into creating a lighting and atmospheric engine like this! It's breathtaking!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I totally agree on the lighting in this game is absolutely incredible and miles ahead of anything I've ever seen. It is so realistic and makes everything look true to their real life counterpart. Don't underestimate the lighting in this sim. It's gorgeous and beyond beautiful. This sim at it's default is already an amazing feat in itself. This will leverage the power for 3rd party developers to make it even better. It's like a house with a strong foundation, once that's laid out it's the skies the limits. Asobo/MS has given us a powerful foundation to build upon. Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

29 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yup. It's a really amazing looking thing.

I live about three miles away from EGCC, where I work. I loaded up the new MS sim the other evening with an aeroplane at EGCC. When I looked out of my window toward the real airport, the light and colour in the sky was identical to what was depicted on my PC screen in the sim. It was kind of freaky that it had it so well replicated.

Can you check out if there's an actual plane flying outside of your RL window next time when you pass by in the sim? 😄

If that doesn't work I will return RL at Steam. Hope that works, as I got almost 40 years of playtime.

40 minutes ago, Slides said:

The sims biggest asset is the lighting. Every other sim looks like a video game and MSFS looks realistic because of the lighting.

I gotta admit, I didn't think that just the lighting inside the cockpit would make such a big difference.

Interesting side note. I read an article about lighting in XP from a LR dev and he talked about the complexity of managing brightness due to a bright outside and dark inside. In MSFS they've managed that neatly by simulating the eyes adaption to different brightness. First I wondered why the outside was so bright when focusing on my instruments. lol

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I know its totally blown me away.  I took off from Orcas yesterday and there was low clouds apart from a beautiful break in the clouds right over mount Rainier so it looked like it was on fire 😀😀

• Like 2

I've had more WOW moments in the past few hours, than I had in my whole time with FSX>P3D>XP11 and then I had to use multiple add on's and a whole load of fiddling and tweaking. The lighting and weather in this thing is stunning.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tweekz said:

Can you check out if there's an actual plane flying outside of your RL window next time when you pass by in the sim? 😄

If that doesn't work I will return RL at Steam. Hope that works, as I got almost 40 years of playtime.

LOL, probably not, but he should be able to watch the flight ahead of him on final land in real life while he's virtually following 😄

Can't agree more! I flew the Grand Canyon last evening on real time, and the sun was lower in the west.. Oh wow. So beautiful 😎

When it dropped, the shadow made me actually concerned about finishing the journey. 

The best was taking a detour away from the river around what I thought was a free standing formation, and as I came around the back size in a narrow canyon , realizing that  I had to seriously get the 152 over a ridge. Cleared it by probably 20'. Wiped my brow and continued on. 

• Like 4

Just flown down from Leeds to the Peak District where I live .

clear skies to the North but a line of fair weather cumulus heading in from the south west , and as I look out of my windows that’s exactly what I’m seeing in the real world, the sky is the exact same shade of blue and the clouds illuminated by the sun in the exact same way. I normally just fly with pre set fair weather in my other sims but this is just stunning.

I spent yesterday flying around rain showers and finding breaks in the cloud which allowed shafts of late summer sun to shine down and brighten the landscape below in isolated patches. I then took the liberty of touching down in a nice looking farmer’s field , turned the engine off and sat and listened to the birds singing , the wind blowing through the trees and the engine Slowly ticking as it cooled. Shame I couldn’t open the doors, but never mind.

looking forward to VR so I can fully enter this amazing new world.

Edited by jon b
  • Like 5

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

13 hours ago, Novation said:

I've had more WOW moments in the past few hours....

just imagine marrying that reaction to what we will have when it matures a bit.  Phenonenal start of something that should be here for a very long time.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X