Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Just Flight Piper Arrow III Preview

3 hours ago, Chock said:

but personally I'd be happy to spin that thing all day long and have even done so from an entry altitude of 1,000 feet AGL.

And this is the kind of reasoning that ends up in the headlines the day after the crash.
Seriously bud, why? 

No matter how good you are, that is foolish and dangerous.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

10 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

And this is the kind of reasoning that ends up in the headlines the day after the crash.
Seriously bud, why? 

No matter how good you are, that is foolish and dangerous.

A BOLD Pilot perhaps!!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots 🙂

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

Chock buddy, can I ask why? I've always wondered why pilots do this. It's like when I see people start a takeoff roll from mid way down the runway. Is it just confidence having done it 10000 times?

Doing that spin entry was a requirement for this white card airfield licence endorsement pictured below. I did it on an advanced residential course at EGHV, since you had to have that card before you were allowed to fly solo from there in their club's single-seater aeroplanes, which I wanted to do.

N4vHeoT.jpg

The aeroplane in which it was done was one of these things:

SZD-50_Puchacz_3_SP-3488,_Gliwice_2017.0

You can check out that airfield in MSFS if you like, since it is in the sim, and you'll see why they are picky about letting people fly solo from the place, because it can be a bit notorious for tricky winds owing to the fact that it's on a hill top. West wind landing approaches are very steep with the spoilers playing a big part in landings since they are 'across-wise' on the field, and there can be some situations on take offs where you are 'between a rock and a hard place' if the cable goes at the wrong moment (which I've had too there). All of that means there are situations where you can be steep on a launch and potentially have the wind drop, which might just conceivably mean a stall, and so possibly a spin when at fairly low altitude. What it all means is that if you fly from there, you end up being a fairly good pilot, because you have to be lol.

Because of that risk, they want to be sure pilots flying from there are able to handle their aeroplanes properly, and that includes being able to recover from a low altitude spin quickly because of that risk of a spin off a winch launch from the place. So for that spin from 1,000 feet AGL, you had to take off normally, which would put you at around 1,000 to 1,200 feet, then go over Offerton Moor which is south of the airfield, then from about 1,200 feet, you had to stick the thing into a steep dive and when you had 1,000 feet on the altimeter, you had to pull up into a steep climb and drop the speed to less than 30 knots and kick on full rudder to spin the thing, so by the time it was stalling to enter the spin you were probably back up to1,100 feet. Then of course you had to recover. If you did the recovery right you'd probably make it in a couple of autorotations, which meant you'd only lose perhaps a couple of hundred feet, so you'd still have plenty of height after coming out of the spin and enough speed to get back up to a reasonable height too. So it's not as ropey as it sounds, but of course you don't know that until you've actually done it yourself;  I'll admit that I was a bit apprehensive when I had to demonstrate it for the endorsement, but that card is in the front of my BGA log book as you can see, so needless to say I managed it and didn't crash.

So please understand that I'm in no way advocating doing spins in powered aeroplanes from that kind of altitude, nor doing it for a laugh. There was a serious training reason for doing that spin from that altitude and it was after a week of flying my word not allowed-off all day long doing tons of spins, simulated cable breaks, and so on, so I was pretty well tuned in for it by the time I did it. And keep in mind those SZD-50s are stressed for aerobatics too and they have a G meter, so you can pull them out of the dive from a spin pretty hard and know the wings will stay on if you are watching that G meter and not letting it go past the limit, they have a Vne of about 135 knots though, so you kind of have to get them upright pretty quickly after the spin has stopped. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

54 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots 🙂

I think General Yeager may have taken issue with that statement 😉

...of course, I'm no Chuck Yeager so I'll stick to the adage.

• Like 1

Chris

2 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

I think General Yeager may have taken issue with that statement 😉

...of course, I'm no Chuck Yeager so I'll stick to the adage.

Actually it's saying by real old bold pilots. I'm part of this organization (http://www.oldboldpilots.org) There are many retired vets including  real WWII/Korean/Vietnam pilot/aces (some of the here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bold_Pilots_Association)

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, Chock said:

The aeroplane in which it was done was one of these things:

SZD-50_Puchacz_3_SP-3488,_Gliwice_2017.0

🤣

I've probably done more aerobatics in a Puchacz than any other glider - it just seemed to flow nicely. That spin entry, though - wahey, I'm inverted 🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 2

Well guys, if you "read the signs" i think you will agree that we wont see a release next week either. On their twitter account, JF said that they need to tweak a few things, touch the FDE and need to add a few custom sounds. If we add that plus the fact that next week we're supposed to see Sim Update 3, i just dont see how they could release it next week.

If we take into account that sim update 3 touches flight dynamics and the garmin units im sure that JF will need to test everything to make sure everything is working and fix any issues.

Juan Ramos

Product page is already up... 

A bit of hope is still there 😉

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS

In the thread about the Carenado Piper Arrow, a JustFlight representative posted that they will release theirs next week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

In the thread about the Carenado Piper Arrow, a JustFlight representative posted that they will release theirs next week.

58bR4ik.png

Source https://www.facebook.com/justflight/posts/10161141243683499

Source : https://www.justflight.com/product/pa-28r-arrow-iii-microsoft-flight-simulator

• Like 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

I do hope Sim Update 3 does not throw any curves into their plan. Beyond the Garmin updates, does anyone know what update 3 involves. I think I am starting to experience update fatigue.

Dan Scott

53 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I do hope Sim Update 3 does not throw any curves into their plan. Beyond the Garmin updates, does anyone know what update 3 involves. I think I am starting to experience update fatigue.

I know Asobo have been giving certain devs early access to the patch so I'm hoping JF are one of them.

As regards following the magenta line, I believe the JF Arrow can be fitted with a gn530 gps, which, if it is the same as in the sim, definitely has somewhat advanced capabilities as you all know. I don't know if early PA28's even had this more modern gps...I guess they could be retrofitted.

BTW, I still don't understand why planes are fitted with dual 430 gps's. In most cases they don't talk to each other and the 430's capabilities are limited anyway. I can only assume redundancy in case one breaks, and that seems overkill in a small GA plane. And, if they have a more advanced gps, like the g1000 or 530, they only have one anyway. If you're buying a small GA plane on the cheap, why pay for 2 gps's?

2 hours ago, Cognita said:

I'd imagine that releasing before a big sim update would potentially be rather foolish and leaving themselves open to having a new product launch that might not work a few days after release, better to wait for JF, unless they do actually have access to the update over the weekend.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.