Sign in to follow this  
neilhewitt

What's the point?

Sorry, this is not a constructive thread. I want to have a moan. 

I did a flight this evening. EGLC-EHAM. It's a route I've been practicing and trying to get perfect in the FeelThere E170. It's taken me months to get the aircraft working in my multi-channel home cockpit setup, and the sim has fought me every step of the way. Random crashes, with no event log entries, no clue as to what's happening or why; I've ended up with a workaround list the length of your arm. It takes me 30 minutes to get everything set up to fly this sector. If I make one mistake, I can't go back, because if I reset the situation (or change the in-sim time) the aircraft stops working in random ways. I have to exit P3D and start again from scratch. But sometimes if I do that the sim just crashes whenever I start it after the first time. Not always in the same place, either. No event logs. I have to reboot my machine to get it back. But sometimes I don't. It's so random I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue or overheating. 

Then there's the dreaded DXGI errors. I don't get them very often. Except when I do. But today, I'd gotten the flight more or less perfect, I taxied to the gate, I'm deboarding via GSX, suddenly my PC goes haywire and then... DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. I've never seen that one before. I certainly didn't remove my GPU. My GPU crashes and I CTD, just as I'm finishing up the flight (which I was recording for YouTube). 2 hours basically wasted.

This is so common a tale now that I won't even consider live-streaming flights. The chances of my setup working from start to end are 50% at best. I'm at the point of considering the ultimate sanction - a complete ground-up rebuild of both PCs and sim installs. But I don't have any confidence this will fix things. 

I'm not looking for advice here. I know how to troubleshoot, diagnose and work around. I'm a PC and software professional who writes code and wrangles hardware for a living. If I can't make this stuff work, what hope do less technical people have? I've been putting off a hard rebuild for a while. But I'm so frustrated that a hobby I'm supposed to like is causing me such stress. So much so that I procrastinate going flying when I actually do want to do it, because I know if it crashes yet again I'll be grumpy for hours. It took me 17 goes to film one video. And I have to question, is it worth it? Should I just give it up as a bad job and go back to desktop simming and give in to the siren lure of MSFS?

What frustrates you about your sim? What makes you want to SMASH your PC and give up on simming altogether?

Use this thread to vent! It's therapeutic.   

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I get those errors in P3Fv5 as well.  I dont fly it any longer.  Waiting on the QW 787 and PMDG jets for MS2020.

spacer.png

I sometimes get bothered by a sim session (been doing it since subLOGIC's Flight Simulator on the Commodore 64), but I never let it get to the part that frustrates me.  Life is too short for that.  My recommendation to you is to decide if you (a) want to find the reason your sim sessions are this buggy or (b) you want to improve the likelihood of a good sim session.  For (a) it can't be the P3D because if that was the case, every other P3D user would be experiencing the same.  And while many do have issues here and there, not everyone has exactly the same issue as you.  Clearly I don't know what's the problem, but you may be on to something thinking that's hardware related.  Do you have the same problems flying the same flight with a default airplane in plain vanilla P3D?  For (b) you're already thinking a different simulator.  That could be the answer even if the underlaying issue is hardware.  I hope you find your answer.  Best of luck.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED 
I was getting this  a few times in v5.1 hf1 

went back to v4.5 hf3 nice and stable with a one minor issue cdu on the qw 787 1.4 froze clicking on it and for ctd.

ive reinstalled and yet to test.

cheers 

mike

Simple, v4 looks way better (thanks to PTA or Tomato), I even prefer sprite clouds, ASCA textures are amazing. No crashes in v4 so far, at all. FPS is more or less exactly the same as in v5, except I get less stutters in v5 because of DX12.
So, in short, I simply can't find a reason why I should use v5. Less stutters doesn't mean much because of often DXGI erros I get, especially when using VR.

And yes, because all of the above, from my point of view, v5 is a step back. LM took a lot of risk trying to implement TrueSky and DX12, and now we can see how much work is needed to be done to make the sim stable for ALL users, not only lucky ones.

Edited by Pe11e
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Since this is a "rant" hmm therapeutic thread, here is mine: I gave up on MSFS2020 and VR. The latest Oculus software was supposed to give me smooth performance, which it did, once.  All subsequent setup still gave me the slide show.  May be I will try again in year.  Yes MSFS2020 eye candies are amazing, but since I only fly in VR, it's useless.  I still have P3D4.5 and XP11.52 they work fine, and that's what/where I spent time flying. Oh I did not add anything new at all. It helps 🤕

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

V5 is nice on my end.  EA off due to weirdness at times.  But performance gains have been real.  CTD's hardly a thing at all.  locking at 30 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Jumping to msfs recently id still say P3D 5 is slighty more stable but fs2020 is still has issues to many to really enjoy it properly. Even back in the 8bit C64 days the flight sim add on called Jet to add fighers to the base sim would crash 50 percent of the time sending the c64 into the ready screen. Base sim crashed 20 percent. So yes the sim has a troubled history and not a new problem. Its like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

While it's in the P3D forum, the OP asked the question to which I will answer.

Three years ago I moved to XP, now at v11.50+.  I took it slow to learn and decide on addons.

I quickly moved to ortho flying almost exclusively.  The planes available are amazingly precise.  I never have crashes.  My flying is smooth as silk and I have now an extremely robust and loaded sim.

So, choices.  I moved on from P3D and I was am a flightsim addict from sublogic days and every MS version up until P3D and then took P3D to V4.4...and then got out.  No venting required, happy as a clam.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

30 minutes ago, 40track said:

Jumping to msfs recently id still say P3D 5 is slighty more stable but fs2020 is still has issues to many to really enjoy it properly.

P3D = DXGI HUNG CTD. MSFS = Driver Timeouts

Between those two I think P3D has an edge, now let's all laugh at FSX for flying a PMDG MD11 + ultimate traffic + addon scenery for a 6hr flight and using only 4GB of allocated memory and not crashing.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

28 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

P3D = DXGI HUNG CTD. MSFS = Driver Timeouts

Between those two I think P3D has an edge, now let's all laugh at FSX for flying a PMDG MD11 + ultimate traffic + addon scenery for a 6hr flight and using only 4GB of allocated memory and not crashing.

4gigs word not allowed. Like to see V5 do that.

6 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

Sorry, this is not a constructive thread. I want to have a moan. 

I did a flight this evening. EGLC-EHAM. It's a route I've been practicing and trying to get perfect in the FeelThere E170. It's taken me months to get the aircraft working in my multi-channel home cockpit setup, and the sim has fought me every step of the way. Random crashes, with no event log entries, no clue as to what's happening or why; I've ended up with a workaround list the length of your arm. It takes me 30 minutes to get everything set up to fly this sector. If I make one mistake, I can't go back, because if I reset the situation (or change the in-sim time) the aircraft stops working in random ways. I have to exit P3D and start again from scratch. But sometimes if I do that the sim just crashes whenever I start it after the first time. Not always in the same place, either. No event logs. I have to reboot my machine to get it back. But sometimes I don't. It's so random I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue or overheating. 

Then there's the dreaded DXGI errors. I don't get them very often. Except when I do. But today, I'd gotten the flight more or less perfect, I taxied to the gate, I'm deboarding via GSX, suddenly my PC goes haywire and then... DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED. I've never seen that one before. I certainly didn't remove my GPU. My GPU crashes and I CTD, just as I'm finishing up the flight (which I was recording for YouTube). 2 hours basically wasted.

This is so common a tale now that I won't even consider live-streaming flights. The chances of my setup working from start to end are 50% at best. I'm at the point of considering the ultimate sanction - a complete ground-up rebuild of both PCs and sim installs. But I don't have any confidence this will fix things. 

I'm not looking for advice here. I know how to troubleshoot, diagnose and work around. I'm a PC and software professional who writes code and wrangles hardware for a living. If I can't make this stuff work, what hope do less technical people have? I've been putting off a hard rebuild for a while. But I'm so frustrated that a hobby I'm supposed to like is causing me such stress. So much so that I procrastinate going flying when I actually do want to do it, because I know if it crashes yet again I'll be grumpy for hours. It took me 17 goes to film one video. And I have to question, is it worth it? Should I just give it up as a bad job and go back to desktop simming and give in to the siren lure of MSFS?

What frustrates you about your sim? What makes you want to SMASH your PC and give up on simming altogether?

Use this thread to vent! It's therapeutic.   

The only time I ever had issues with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE was in connection with TrueGlass. I remove it from every aircraft that uses it and never had issues again since I started doing it. QW 787 was the first that caused that issue, after moving the file out of the aircraft folder it stopped.

In case you haven’t gone that route, it might be worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, masino said:

The only time I ever had issues with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE was in connection with TrueGlass. I remove it from every aircraft that uses it and never had issues again since I started doing it. QW 787 was the first that caused that issue, after moving the file out of the aircraft folder it stopped.

In case you haven’t gone that route, it might be worth a shot.

The latest versions of TrueGlass and RealLight no longer appear to be a primary cause of DXGI errors in P3D v5.1.
Either your aircraft has received the updates in its latest installer or you can update these gauges by using Orbx Central -> Partners -> TFDi Design -> Misc.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

P3Dv4 was always running very stable on both my view pc’s, as now is P3Dv5 too.

Probably because I am using Prosim, which runs outside Fs, I have no issues. And I use very high settings.

MSFS leads to CTD’s because Simconnect is not able to handle all data with Prosim and I fear that it either might take a long time before this will work or that it never will. MSFS is too scenery orientated, Asobo to focused on the upcoming XBox release.

Regarding P3Dv5.2 : I hope that LM can make that one more stable so you guys having issues now can enjoy it too. And that LM has improved EA and performance further.

✈️

regards, Gerard

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

5 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Probably because I am using Prosim, which runs outside Fs, I have no issues. And I use very high settings.

Hey Gerard, I had to look it up, had never heard of it before, are you referring to Prosim-Ar the FMS trainer thing?  Interesting.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3