Sign in to follow this  
Pilot53

The PMDG DC-6 Is out!

I wasn't going to buy the DC-6 - I'm a GA flyer and happy with the simplicity there - but it was Friday, I'd had a few drinks and the price was way lower than I'd expected (less than the CRJ in total) so I picked it up and I'm really glad I did.

It's a stunningly complex aircraft (even without having to worry about the old radio systems, thank goodness) but the AFE does a great job of handling the vast majority of that complexity so that a beginner can concentrate on the flying part of the job. That combined with a surprisingly effecting AP system makes it far more approachable than I was expecting. Flying the first tutorial flight gave me the confidence that I can take off, cruise and land this thing with assistance and take the time to learn the complexities while enjoying the plane.

It's probably heretical to think this but I'd personally love to see the AFE experience included in the MSFS 737 when PDMG release it - in my option making these planes approachable without dumbing them down is a great move for bringing in helping new players appreciate study level aircraft.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lupedelupe said:

They do sound awesome. And the sounds when landing are equally good. Same here: bored with airliners after learning the details on the Zibo B737 and payware A319 and A321 on X-Plane. 

The DC-6 is complex, in-depth and keeps you on your toes to fly. A very nice choice for an ATW flight ... 👍

In the past I have flown the 737, and 767, and after awhile found them really boring. Once you learned to program the FMC which isn't that difficult frankly, I could basically start a flight, switch on the AP, and go out for dinner, come home, and land the plane. Yawn..... You can't do that with the DC6.You have to fly it all the way from takeoff to taxi to the ramp. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, Tierborn said:

i think the opposite.  The appeal of the CD-6 will be with a limited group of people.  

I agree, people that are really into aviation. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

25 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

It's probably heretical to think this but I'd personally love to see the AFE experience included in the MSFS 737 when PDMG release it - in my option making these planes approachable without dumbing them down is a great move for bringing in helping new players appreciate study level aircraft.

No flight engineer on a 737 classic/NG/Max. I do expect FS2Crew to release a FO package for it like they have for P3D and FSX. He will help you do the checklists, and tasks as an FO should, and can be communicated to via speech. The packages work well and add greatly to the airliner experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

32 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

Bought it, love it!

I’ve not studied any manuals yet but can still get it up and down in a satisfactory manner and thanks to glimpses at the GPS can even navigate.

Not sure if it has an autopilot that can fly level and straight automatically but until I figure that out it trims nicely and flies straight.

Best add on aircraft I’ve bought, ever (JF XP11 BAe146 is a close second).

And people are cranking out paints, can’t wait to add to the liveries collection (especially Northwest Orient)!

Watch the 20+ Tutorial videos on Youtube. It will make everything much easier. I flew three 300 mile flights yesterday around Europe, with no real issues. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Z6uOroKwk2BCoBHzhuaeQ

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

No flight engineer on a 737 classic/NG/Max. I do expect FS2Crew to release a FO package for it like they have for P3D and FSX. He will help you do the checklists, and tasks as an FO should, and can be communicated to via speech. The packages work well and add greatly to the airliner experience.

Why not include it as a feature to assist newer players ?

No-one would be forced to use it but it would undoubtedly make the plane more approachable .

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

No-one would be forced to use it but it would undoubtedly make the plane more approachable .

Exactly this! People will learn, and a lot would likely be put off with the initial complexity. No harm whatsoever to have a similar system as to what's in the DC-6 for the 737, if you don't require it simply don't use it. It will certainly help the newer sim pilot to understand the systems etc at their own pace. And i would even go as far to say, these new pilots will only improve which is a bonus for all.

Edited by Car147
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

8 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

With the FE the DC6 has now, I don't quite get how it could be anymore approachable than it is now? You push a button on the tablet, and everything is done for you, except flying the plane. 

First flight done and the PMDG DC-6 blow me away. Stunning to hand fly, stunning in everyway.

• Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

6 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Exactly this! People will learn, and a lot would likely be put off with the initial complexity. No harm whatsoever to have a similar system as to what's in the DC-6 for the 737, if you don't require it simply don't use it. It will certainly help the newer sim pilot to understand the systems etc at their own pace. And i would even go as far to say, these new pilots will only improve which is a bonus for all.

That is exactly what the Flight Engineer does now?????? 

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

With the FE the DC6 has now, I don't quite get how it could be anymore approachable than it is now? You push a button on the tablet, and everything is done for you, except flying the plane. 

I fully agree that's why I'm talking about the idea of adding something similar to the upcomming 737

• Like 3

• Like 2

If you are on the fence about buying this just watch PMDG’s tutorial videos. You’ll have your wallet out before you get through them. 

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

What fps do you guys have at EDDF (standard version)? I get 23-26fps running a 10850k@4,9Ghz and RAM @4133mhz.

So far I am liking it. Have been doing two landings so far. With the flight engineer on and realistic engine damange off it is pretty easy to fly it. I really enjoy the big windows of this aircraft and is diffenetly some different flying than the usual modern airliners.

I am enjoying this plane so much. What's he difference between the DC6A and DC6B?