Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Bandwith too Low Warning with 400Mb/sec connection

I keep getting a message about the bandwidth being too low - OOKLA says it is more than 400Mb/sec 

Why does this message occur?

Why does the message stall Flight Sim for 10 to 30-seconds when the mouse icon disappears from the screen and clicking on the message or anywhere else does nothing?  During that time CPU & GPU usage drops below 10%.

Problem started today, August 13.  Does it have anything to do with Microsoft Windows Update 21H, which I installed this morning?

Low-Bandwidth.jpg

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

The OOKLA test demonstrates that your computer and household internet connection are not the bottleneck.  The bandwidth available to the game is limited to the lowest bandwidth node on the path between the server and your PC, including limitations due to saturation at the server itself.  Nothing you can do about that...it's one of the pitfalls of dependence on streaming real-time data.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks for the reply!

The wording in the message: "Your current bandwith..." led me to think it was MY problem, thus the "Your" in the message.   If it is a bottleneck at the server why not say "Our current bandwith...?"

My entire career was making computers and online systems run more efficiently, use fewer resources, and be more responsive.  I guess I am too sensitive to nuances/implied faults in user messaging. 

So I will just have to wait out the loss of  the mouse pointer and any ability to click while the message is there?  Clicking "ignore" does no good. 

• Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

6 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

Thanks for the reply!

The wording in the message: "Your current bandwith..." led me to think it was MY problem, thus the "Your" in the message.   If it is a bottleneck at the server why not say "Our current bandwith...?"

Yeah, funny, isn't it?

1) Customer is always wrong.

2) In the rare circumstances when he is not wrong, customer is too demanding.

That's it, unfortunately.

A.

Edited by ADamiani

I saw this once when I was experimenting with extremely high settings, I think of LOD. The simulator tried to load that far away that my connection (100 MBit/s) was unable to keep pace with data transmission.

Never had it during normal usage so far.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

That’s happening more frequently now, after the Xbox release. It’s a saturation of the MS servers that don’t go well with the increased streaming demand. Something that can only be solved my MS itself.

We have to cry louder!

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

You may want to try a different datacenter too.  If you're using US East, try US East 2, or even South Central US.  Even if the ping times are higher you may get better throughput through one of the other sites, and that's what really matters when downloading.  

Brian W

KPAE

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

The current bandwidth would be a neutral way to describe the problem. As it has to be a generic message, perhaps there was not much consideration given to the various interpretations that could be conferred upon such a simple message. As pointed out, the bottleneck can be anywhere between the server and the PC. It might be a server overload but equally, there are so many connections in between that it also might not be. It should be common knowledge by now that a given high broadband download speed is no guarantee of that speed being universally achieved.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reader said:

The current bandwidth would be a neutral way to describe the problem. As it has to be a generic message, perhaps there was not much consideration given to the various interpretations that could be conferred upon such a simple message. As pointed out, the bottleneck can be anywhere between the server and the PC. It might be a server overload but equally, there are so many connections in between that it also might not be. It should be common knowledge by now that a given high broadband download speed is no guarantee of that speed being universally achieved.

Not to mention there has been an obvious native language difference from day 1.  As a native english speaker, the "Welcome, set your experience" page drove me nuts, as it didn't let you set a darn thing.  It wasn't really a failure of the program, it was a failure of my brain to process it.  Now that it says "Installation manger, checking for updates" it actually makes sense, and isn't bothersome.  It's the same screen, really, and takes roughly the same amount of time, but now that it's easy for my brain to rationalize, I don't even think about it.  It's a matter of perspective, and an illustration of the vagarities of languages and translations.

• Upvote 1

I use to get that all the time on a 100mbs connection, now I am on a 900mbs I don't get the bandwidth message anymore.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I am on an 550 Mbps connection and have had this 3x in the past 24 hours.  An immediate speed test shows my connection is fine.  Its quite worrying that it is a MS server issue and that they cannot keep up with the ever increasing demand from a wider userbase.   I see mention of chosing a different data server but I do not see any options in MSFS.  I am based in the UK.

Chris

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

On 8/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, edpatino said:

That’s happening more frequently now, after the Xbox release. It’s a saturation of the MS servers that don’t go well with the increased streaming demand. Something that can only be solved my MS itself.

We have to cry louder!

Well the issue is the way the internet works. Data is streamed from one place to another, to another.   If the bandwidth at any one of these nodes, drops, the result is you get the message insufficient bandwidth, Think of water going through a piping system, you have a 10 inch main ( asobo) , then a 9 inch main, and so on, and somewhere in the middle it goes through a 1/4" water pipe. That one piece of 1/4" pipe chokes the entire system. Doesn't matter if Asobo has a 10 foot water main, it will still get choked by the 1/2" piece of pipe. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

30 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I see mention of chosing a different data server but I do not see any options in MSFS.  I am based in the UK.

If you click on your xbox username / avatar in the main sim menu, there is a dropdown to change servers (it also shows the average ping).

Couple of other things to try:

- Disable ipv6 on your computer's network adapter

- Switch to a different DNS server like google or Cloudflare

All versions - Slow download speed – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) 

Also consider the number of hops required to the MS datacenter.

Sometimes if I obfuscate my location with a tool like Fake GPS it seems to help if my physical location is bad.

My last 2 locations have not had this issue with 100 and 20 mbs respectively.

Being closer to LA seems to make the matter worse so I  suspect saturation in that case.

ns

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER