Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Jörg Neumann regarding World Update 6 and future DLC

11 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Jorg later on did say they wanted to go much further down the rabbit hole when it came to the avionics for all the planes.  As for systems, who knows, but it all kind of ties in together with most planes nowadays.  All in all though, the aircraft out of the box are still 10X better then what we had before, and they are actively improving them as we speak.  We know they're also working to improve the flight dynamics and other things according to the Q&As.  Either way, it's a win-win for us eventually.

Yes you are right, and those avionics improvements they wanted to do will apply to all planes and not specifically to the premium deluxe planes so PD planes are still just that I think, more default planes that are pending sim-wide aircraft improvements rather than planes that will be prioritized in their improvement. 🙂

And yeah I absolutely agree, the default out-of-the-box aircrafts are still pretty good and more detailed than in past sims. For me anyway.

Edited by Honnli
  • Like 4

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

21 minutes ago, Honnli said:

Yes you are right, and those avionics improvements they wanted to do will apply to all planes and not specifically to the premium deluxe planes so PD planes are still just that I think, more default planes that are pending sim-wide aircraft improvements rather than planes that will be prioritized in their improvement. 🙂

And yeah I absolutely agree, the default out-of-the-box aircrafts are still pretty good and more detailed than in past sims. For me anyway.

If they're able to pull off what they want to:  Beefed up default aircraft (accuracy, etc.), the WX engine, the world/terrain engine, and all the other things in this next year for the sim, then this will be the sim of all time, hands down, no questions asked.

The scary thing is, they're on track to do just that, given the extremely fast pace of development and fixes, even with the set backs.  I think year 2 for the sim will be the golden year if everything comes to fruition.  They're not that far away in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

10 hours ago, ADamiani said:

Do you also agree that not all those who complain do that just to be contrary?

I, for one, was very happy when they said they would delay the new update. To me, it means they have learned something from some recent blunder.

A.

It's been delayed to make Vienna the best it can be, that's all (as per interview), other than that I've yet to see them learn much fun Sim Update releases this past year so we'll see with SU6 I guess.

Edit: IIRC they did delay one SU but then SU5 speaks for itself! 

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

9 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Its might also be revealing for us to think about just exactly how much money we have spent over time in other sims to get something approximating the look and features of MSFS.....

... without forgetting that it happened some (or even, a long) time ago ....

2020 technology offers options that were not even imaginable when we happily flew beneath bridges in FS5.

Those who were there will surely remember that we were so in awe for that unbelievable, fantastic 172 photoreal cockpit. At the time, any frame rate above 14-15 was regarded as fluid.

I wrote an "ATC program" in 1993 that exploited the multiplayer feature of FS4 and FS5 via serial ports, and it also worked  via modem. Members of our Flight Simulation Enthusiasts association (PVI, Piloti Virtuali Italiani) bought a multiple serial port just to be able to have many aircraft and three different controllers together on the same channel. Felt like a miracle. The multiple serial port was not cheap 🙂 Configuring it with IRQs and memory buffers was no piece of cake.

So, different times, different technologies, different world. I can't really compare now with then. 

And if I do .....

But that's another story.

A.

12 hours ago, scotchegg said:

I’m confused as to why some people ask why they don’t talk about fixing bugs or polishing the default planes instead of marketing new stuff.

I can answer for myself: because they are marketing new stuff (which is not bad per se: it means that the platform is alive and kicking and that they are investing in it) but some bugs are still there after a year, while other new bugs appear out of thin air, sometimes with catastrophic effects (ctds, graphics degradations ....).

Also remember that many people were very happy with SU4 (I was). It's SU5 that really changed that.

A.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moria15 said:

Don't forget all the extra airports as well that were included in the extra packages..  that reduces each aircraft to about $3 and each airport to about $2  if that.

Graham

On its surface that sounds like a reasonable argument. However, it's ignoring the fact that we were told we were getting something for X dollars. If MS/AS couldn't deliver that something for X dollars, then they should have charged more. Most of us would happily have paid it if it meant the planes were more polished. 

If I go to a restaurant and order a $5 hamburger from a menu that shows a picture of a hamburger, and then they bring you a hamburger, but there's a maggot in the meat, they don't get to say "this is perfectly reasonable considering how little you paid for the hamburger." 

Point being, it is not our problem if MS undercharged for the premium deluxe package. It's not unreasonable for us to want the planes to handle decently. We've made it clear that we do not expect a PMDG level plane. But the Longitude should be stable on autopilot. Especially since we already know it can be done, since a 3rd party has done it.  While we're on the subject, even the default aircraft should have a certain level of polish. The TBM steers like an oil tanker on the ground. All Asobo has to do is change a couple of numbers in the config file - something many of us have to do every time the sim gets updated. 

Again, I'm not on the I-Hate-Asobo bandwagon by any stretch. I'm overall happy with the sim. That doesn't mean I don't get to mention when I'd like to see a priority shift.

15 hours ago, Honnli said:

I think some people are confusing premium deluxe aircrafts as being more premium and in-depth aircrafts rather than what they actually are, which are just extra default aircrafts 

By definition something you pay extra for is not "default."  They're payware. Very inexpensive payware, but payware nonetheless.

• Like 2

By definition, an aircraft that is included in a simulator is indeed a default aircraft, for that version of the simulator.
The simulator itself, regardless of the version, has to be paid for and is therefore payware.
Perhaps you should offer your services to Asobo, as you are able to do what they cannot.

1 hour ago, eslader said:

By definition something you pay extra for is not "default."  They're payware. Very inexpensive payware, but payware nonetheless.

And you (generally) get what you pay for. What you got was pretty much what should have been expected. (I think)

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Came here expecting a conversation about an interview - eavesdropped a lengthy therapy session instead apparently.

1 hour ago, eslader said:

They're default to the Premium Deluxe SKU, meaning they ship with the product model.  You're paying for all of the aircraft in the sim one way or another, so they are all "payware".

But of course all of this is tedious hair splitting anyway - they're default aircraft.  Made to the same caliber as the other default aircraft - some with more or less problems than others, none to anything approaching "study level" or insert hobbyist buzzword here.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2021 at 8:38 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Which actually begs the question of offering these capabilities as payware...

I agree that no other flightsim has offered this level of avionics capability, other than via 3rd party addons.

I am sure that some will disagree.. but I, for one, would happily pay for a truly full featured avionics package for the planes I like to fly.. assuming of course that the commitment exists to support this package as we move forward in time.

For such real 1:1 avionics, having to pay is not a issue. For units you will using for hundreds of hours, the price per flight hour is insignificant.
But i' afraid than this kind of units will be blocked (or already are) to avoid concurrency to internal products, even if then don't have the same level of fidelity or even if they wouldn't be used IRL with a NXi.

Edited by nirgal76

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

On 9/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, Scottoest said:

Came here expecting a conversation about an interview - eavesdropped a lengthy therapy session instead apparently.

They're default to the Premium Deluxe SKU, meaning they ship with the product model.  You're paying for all of the aircraft in the sim one way or another, so they are all "payware".

But of course all of this is tedious hair splitting anyway - they're default aircraft.  Made to the same caliber as the other default aircraft - some with more or less problems than others, none to anything approaching "study level" or insert hobbyist buzzword here.

The problem comes when a year after they were sold you still have premium and deluxe aircraft that are plagued with bugs, many of them trivial that would be fixed by the community in 5 minutes if they had access to the files but in some cases render the plane almost unusable.

The classic example is the Da40TDi - the fuel transfer rate between the Aux and Main tanks appears to have the wrong value set in the config file so that you can't fill the Main tank faster than the engine drains. We can see the value controlling this in the Da40NG config files and it's a single number but in the year since this plane was released and the bug reported, no-one has bothered to fix it in the TDi.

With all due respect to people who have knowlege of what Asobo is doing, even if Asobo haven't abadonned these planes it still very much feels like that's what happened and without actually seeing something done that isn't going to change. After a year the time for talking about fixing this stuff is long over, it's time to actually do it.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2