Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Asobo Is The Greatest Flightsim Company In History

We have just gotten used to having extremely low expectations by what we had during the last decade or so.

So it's easy to exceed them for Asobo. They may even be the best flightsim company, but with what competition?

• Like 3

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

14 minutes ago, rka said:

We have just gotten used to having extremely low expectations by what we had during the last decade or so.

So it's easy to exceed them for Asobo. They may even be the best flightsim company, but with what competition?

^^ Pretty much this.

Asobo, by comparison, has done wonders for flight simulation. Because its competition is bad, really bad (ie. its competition has graphics so dated, it looks like it's from a decade ago, and the competition doesn't even live stream satellite & photogrammetry).

The bar was very low to begin with.  I'm glad Asobo is exceeding the bar, but that says a lot about Asobo's competition.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

18 minutes ago, fizzipop22 said:

How the heck is number 7 not asobo? They literally ported to the Xbox platform lmao

A lot of companies (developers) have ported their apps to Xbox. I fail to see what's funny about that or how that makes Asobo the best simulator developer as stated by the OP.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Well then... I agree with Ricardo.

As someone who remembers "flying" when everything on the screen was cyan, magenta, and white, MSFS in its current state is the best version of flight simulator ever made. Go ahead. Argue that. I won't waste my breath arguing back. 

None of them have ever been perfect. Asobo has gotten us closer than ever to what I have always wanted in a flight simulator since the Sublogic days. 

I bought MSFS a year ago. I just started flying it on a regular basis last month. It just wasn't ready for me before then. In the past 2 weeks I have had the absolute best flight sim experiences of my life. 

Asobo has a winner here. Once they clean up the odds and ends, MSFS will be the cats meow.

• Like 12

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

41 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

A lot of companies (developers) have ported their apps to Xbox. I fail to see what's funny about that or how that makes Asobo the best simulator developer as stated by the OP.

Talk about missing the point. You said not Asobo so he's laughing because it actually was Asobo. It would have been better if you just said, "Oops! My bad lol"

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

[...]

Asobo was a good choice because they were not too much constrained by a 15- year history of coding  (from FS2k which was a turning point to P3D). Building incrementally over  their Aces Studio's legacy  and the constraint to maintain compatibility stymie the P3D team's creativity. And its a pity.   

There are two different issues. Is this sim innovative and good even in its incomplete shape and has a strong potential to be better ? Yes ! Is the way the project is managed acceptable? No, it stinks.

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

Asobo, by comparison, has done wonders for flight simulation. Because its competition is bad, really bad (ie. its competition has graphics so dated, it looks like it's from a decade ago, and the competition doesn't even live stream satellite & photogrammetry).

The bar was very low to begin with.  I'm glad Asobo is exceeding the bar, but that says a lot about Asobo's competition.

^^This(/these).

The scope of the MSFS project is fantastic. So many new ideas and technologies that have dragged flight simmer's expectation levels out from the early 2000s to somewhere where we can show the visuals to 'AAA-title gamers' and no longer feel embarassed. Some of the concepts developed are light years ahead of the vanilla versions of competitor flight sims.

I feel that Asobo's inexperience with the flight sim genre has led to some naive thinking and poor decision-making. It's often said that 'you don't know what you don't know'. A greater number of experienced developers could have been approached to discuss various aspects of flight simming, which could have helped with aspects such as live weather, camera system, the granularity of various settings that users should be able to control, etc.

Asobo being an outsider to flight simming has given us new thoughts and ways of doing things. Sometimes they have felt nonsensical to long-time flight simmmers, combined with the lack of quality control, gives a terrible experience, for which they should be criticised. However, when they do get aspects of it right, the sim can be incredible. For that Asobo should be rightly praised.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

4 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

1. Argumentative. Mine didn't come in a box.

2. Cannot comment on this as I don't believe I have "lowend" hardware.

3.Without bothering to fix what's already in the sim. Oftentimes breaking what's already in the sim.

4. Not Asobo.

5.Not Asobo.

6.Yes, decent default aircraft, but noneof those people mentioned work for Asobo.

7. Not Asobo

Owned...!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

I think Asbo are number1 at scenery simulators..............they are not to bad at flight sims either. 😁

• Like 2

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

Threads like this:

perfectly-looped-corgi-on-a-wheel.gif

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

10 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

At last, as an owner of a car, do I have to know to build a car to judge if if the brakes are working the way they should or the engine powered enough for the frame  weight ? 

I wish people would stop using cars as an analogy for flightsim software. It’s really not a useful comparison.

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I wish people would stop using cars as an analogy for flightsim software. It’s really not a useful comparison.

I agree , trucks and tractors are much better analogy. 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I agree , trucks and tractors are much better analogy. 🙂

Inspired by your avatar, I would say beards are a better analogy. They take time to develop, evoke a range of reactions, can be regularly updated to good or bad effect, and it’s not going to kill you if you take a bit too much off when trimming them, however frustrating it may be.

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Wow, a company developed a product they were contracted to make and that was sold to consumers.

This is clearly unprecedented and deserves high praise.

This gets my vote, even though it has been and still is a bumpy journey.

But still it surpasses other sims for the flight experience particularly in VR.

And with this crazy covid lockdown world we live in it’s the only hassle free way to see the world. Bonus points for that too.

👍👍 Asobo. a fine piece of art it is, make it a masterpiece.

• Like 5

Asobo for life - well for 10 years at least ❤️

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir