Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Awesome!

I just got off the phone with my tax lady who had a few questions.  Every answer I gave her she replied. "Awesome."

I hear that word a lot.  Order crab legs at Red Lobster and the waitress says, "Awesome".

Give the cashier at Target the exact change and she says, "Awesome."

When the receptionist at the doctor's office asks if I would prefer an appointment on Monday, Wednesday or Friday and I say, "Let's make it Wednesday," she replies, "Awesome".

Is there a new word to describe something that was really 'Awesome' in the olden days?  A word to describe something that would really make me stand in awe of an event or happening?

Noel
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Perfect!  I don't hear Awesome In this part of the country.  The preferred term is "Perfect".  Now the phrase that really got to me when I was still working and would stop for a quick to go lunch was at In-and-Out burger.  You would walk up to the counter and the little 16 year old pixie would say "Hi, how are ya?"  Not Hi,.....how are you?   or Hi, How are you today?  It drove me nutz! 🤪

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I think that every generation has their token exclamatory slang.  Mine are "awesome" from the 80s, as well as "cool", which actually originated in the 50s or 60s I believe.

What slang terms are common with your generation?

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv6.1

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

It is fighting a loosing battle to "massive", which is ridiculously overused and most often used out of context with its definitions.  So massively overused!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Awesome? Meh, around here we use Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 

Um diddle diddle, um diddle i.............................................. 🤪

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

5 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

I think that every generation has their token exclamatory slang. 

The current one that makes me laugh is “wicked good”. My sense is that it’s used in the northeast U.S.  I think “OK, what is it? Wicked? Good? So so?”🤔

In my day (early 50s) the comparable term would be 'nifty' or 'bitchin'.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I've noticed some people where I live say 'Cool Bananas' instead of 'Awesome'. but mostly people here say 'She'll be right' 

I tend to say 'Cool' a lot but that is because I grew up in the 70s and 80s

Matthew Kane

In my youth, the expression was "cool beans!"

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I feel the same way, totally overused word. It is in the same category as 'stunning'. Everything is 'stunning' these days.

The last time 'I got stunned' was as a 10 year old when I peed against the electric cattle fence......

• Like 2

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

The one i remember in elementary school was nifty. Based on the nifty book binders. 1960's jargon i guess.

How about the new word I keep hearing lately, "That's Sic" (least I think its fairly new). Not 100% sure, but I think it means great or good.

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

I wonder what word they use when they see something truly awesome?

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

39 minutes ago, GaryK said:

I wonder what word they use when they see something truly awesome?

"TOTALLY AWESOME..." 😎

• Like 1

Matthew Kane