Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Trailer

I wonder if the PMDGs / Fenixs etc. got wind of this in advance. I always wondered why everyone was in such a rush to get their study level jets out in roughly the same narrow time window.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Not a Halo guy but the Pelican sure is fun for when I don’t have time to plan a something in an airliner 😄

• Like 2

All the Forza motorsport announcements/previews were great too!... I can dream, perhaps a bit more realistically given where we are, that the ground level details/rendering tech in Forza will one day be married to Asobo's current tech that renders a twin model of the earth in such stellar fashion.

• Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

They made a point to say Standard edition. Does that mean the different tiers will have additional content?

11 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

They made a point to say Standard edition. Does that mean the different tiers will have additional content?

They said the same about the GOTY update last year.

They just mean any one who has the sim gets all the content, not matter what edition.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

As big of a fan of the new sim as I am, MS and ASOBO are going to need to triple in size. Platform and distribution, marketplace, UI, the whole deal.

They have massive 'catch up' to do on the technical side of the sim as it pertains to WX (both physics and visuals-depiction), PG, optimizations on all levels, unlocking elements or providing APIs for 3PDs (going to be even bigger than ever now).  The SDK side is really going to have to beef up.  

Almost too much to get your head around.

I'm with you on technical elements that need considerable work, especially WX and several other elements like ATC, but I don't get the 'triple in size' piece.   They got to where they did w/ something like 200 staff over the past 4-6 years, and absolutely the lion's share of all development it seems to me has already been done--I think when one focuses on the shortcomings one can lose sight of just how fully developed the sim already is.  Are you thinking the original staff is already way trimmed?

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm with you on technical elements that need considerable work, especially WX and several other elements like ATC, but I don't get the 'triple in size' piece.   They got to where they did w/ something like 200 staff over the past 4-6 years, and absolutely the lion's share of all development it seems to me has already been done--I think when one focuses on the shortcomings one can lose sight of just how fully developed the sim already is.  Are you thinking the original staff is already way trimmed?

No, I was being a little sarcastic.  The sim itself is really growing and will probably keep going that way for a while.  

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see new content, regardless of how ridiculous it might seem.  It's serving a good purpose and it can actually be fun to tool around in that stuff every now and again.

I do think though, that based on what we, (the hardcore simmers want and need), they might need to add some more people above what they already have in order to help speed up the core sim fixes and add the additional ("unlocks/APIs") we want and 3PDs need (like stuff for home cockpits stuff, shared cockpit, etc..).  That all takes a lot of time even in the best of situations.  

Even though they've come along way, there's still a ton of stuff that still needs doing.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

3 hours ago, Wise87 said:

So was adding the Halo Pelican a way to bring over the Halo crowd? I wonder what else they might bring over from other series. I'll admit, as a long time simmer I'm going to try it, LOL

Yeah definitely.... Love halo this is a nice surprise lol my sons are freaking out lol this is gonna be fun.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

No, I was being a little sarcastic.  The sim itself is really growing and will probably keep going that way for a while.  

Don't get me wrong, it's great to see new content, regardless of how ridiculous it might seem.  It's serving a good purpose and it can actually be fun to tool around in that stuff every now and again.

I do think though, that based on what we, (the hardcore simmers want and need), they might need to add some more people above what they already have in order to help speed up the core sim fixes and add the additional ("unlocks/APIs") we want and 3PDs need (like stuff for home cockpits stuff, shared cockpit, etc..).  That all takes a lot of time even in the best of situations.  

Even though they've come along way, there's still a ton of stuff that still needs doing.

Ahh, I see.  We really don't know how far MS/A will go w/ duplicating what's already been done by the other sims. I'm 'hardcore' which for me means I use the sim nearly daily and value it immensely, but am happy w/ my simple yoke and TQ, and a few other apps to help create purpose in flying which now includes A Pilot's Life v2, PACX and hopefully soon, Ground Services X.  My biggest hope is for work on the WX it's such a big piece and if and when that is done I really don't need a whole lot more, and I bet I'm by far the norm.  For every 1 user that needs the kind of support like home cockpit support there will be a 1000 that are simple desktop users, or so is my guess.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just now, Noel said:

Ahh, I see.  We really don't know how far MS/A will go w/ duplicating what's already been done by the other sims. I'm 'hardcore' which for me means I use the sim nearly daily and value it immensely, but am happy w/ my simple yoke and TQ, and a few other apps to help create purpose in flying which now includes A Pilot's Life v2, PACX and hopefully soon, Ground Services X.  My biggest hope is for work on the WX it's such a big piece and if and when that is done I really don't need a whole lot more, and I bet I'm by far the norm.  For every 1 user that needs the kind of support like home cockpit support there will be a 1000 that are simple desktop users, or so is my guess.

Yeah, true, but you add that to all the other stuff, it adds up.  I mean, just seasons alone sounds like a major undertaking, just based on what Jorg wants to do with it.  Not to mention all the other stuff they want to add just for the hardcore crowd.

Even desktop users, like myself that just want to be able to bind stuff to buttons on stick and throttle, more stuff needs to be added than what's already available.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

5 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Here is just a small sampling of what simmers will find in the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition:

Ho ho ho, just saw that part. If this is just a small sampling, what on earth else is in there?!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

4 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

Yeah, true, but you add that to all the other stuff, it adds up.  I mean, just seasons alone sounds like a major undertaking, just based on what Jorg wants to do with it.  Not to mention all the other stuff they want to add just for the hardcore crowd.

Even desktop users, like myself that just want to be able to bind stuff to buttons on stick and throttle, more stuff needs to be added than what's already available.

Yes there needs to be more improving we agree.  But...the depth of that IMO may not be all that deep!  The seasons piece I envisioned on initial release of MSFS could be a shader-based architecture which looks at GPS location/elevation/time of year and changes plant coloration accordingly.  It could be that 25 people have been working in the background on this for the past year so that when it's time to release it will be miles ahead of what we have currently.  We really don't know how MS/A allocates work but again I'm struck but just how complete MSFS already is, not that there isn't ultimately infinite room for improvement!

• Like 2

Noel