Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

X-Plane 12 on 'Short Final'

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Anyone else F5'ing the dev blog for more info on how short the final actually is? Personally, I am crossing my fingers for the Oshkosh event on Aug 25th. I think Laminar could really use the press at that event. 

I've just got a kitty to find ways to get my mind away from it 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I hope they release some more teaser clips and screenshots leading up to the release date.

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Oshkosh event on Aug 25th

What event is this? Thought Oshkosh was done for the year.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 hours ago, blingthinger said:

What event is this? Thought Oshkosh was done for the year.

You might be right. Isn't there a FS fair sometime late August?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

According to Austin it should be out in public beta within 2-3 weeks but you know how developers hardly ever meet their agenda.
Plus it is a given there will be plenty of bugs. Hopefully minor ones.

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

You might be right. Isn't there a FS fair sometime late August?

I was hoping I am wrong! Dunno. FSExpo doesn't happen this year but when it has happened, it's generally in these late summer months. Maybe some were hoping/expecting for a release associated with that event?

1 hour ago, peroni said:

Plus it is a given there will be plenty of bugs. Hopefully minor ones.

This will be very interesting to watch. Given they are charging full price for an 'early access' beta and have spent the better part of a year working on it (in a publicly acknowledged sense), they might be in a tight spot. If they had released a beta months ago for free, they risk public scorn from bots and trash talkers seeking to tear them down. If they charge $$ and release tons of big bugs, they'll get public scorn from bots and trash talkers and disgruntled customers who have been teased with twitter posts for a year.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

You’ll be able to install the free 15 minutes trial, just as always.

When paying the full price, you get early access, with all the warnings about possible bugs, but you won’t get to pay again for the final release.

What is the problem?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soaring_penguin said:

What is the problem?

The problem is there always will be folks complaining no matter what...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I think getting the hands on this bad boy outweighs a few rough edges here and there. X-Plane is sort of always in beta anyways.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

The problem is the proactive and intentional slander. Yes, sure, business is business and mud-slinging is part of the world we live in. But if LR didn't care about this as much this time around, we would have a beta by now as in versions past. If people are paying for a bag of bugs, there will be a vocal group who will throw a very loud fit online. Actually that group will still be there, but there are things that can be done to reduce their volume. There's a different tone this time around. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 1

I see it more as a new serious investment by Austin himself after a kind of hiatus period that was most probably related to his problem with fighting Patent Trolls and all he did for that cause. and I take my hat off and due respect for such a dedication to a cause which was not only his cause but affected many other victims.

Then after recovering from that grey period, Austin dedicated again to his passion, and his new Lancair experimental aircraft. That's quite a Project, as well as some Apps like Navion.

XP12 is, IMO, Austins return to X-Plane core flight dynamics, weather and part of systems modelling.

I am sure the beta state is more due to optimization and graphics not being 100% to the level LR wanted them to be, and not because of other aspects of the simulation, although there are new features like the new ATC that being fresh written and integrated in XP12 will for sure take some time to stabilize.

I am positive about XP12 beta. Something tells me it will bemore than worth the wait !

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

How old is Austin? Given that major versions tend to last 4-5 yrs, this could be his final lap before retirement. If he ever considered such a thing.

3 hours ago, blingthinger said:

How old is Austin? Given that major versions tend to last 4-5 yrs, this could be his final lap before retirement. If he ever considered such a thing.

Early fifties I think. Austin is way to enthusiastic and passionate to retire anytime soon! The simulator is at it's prime and only getting better! 

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

5 hours ago, blingthinger said:

or maybe he'll spend even more time tinkering, coding and improving the sim when all he can do is sit at home, kicking back. 

Edited by Sethos
  • Upvote 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 8/15/2022 at 7:27 AM, soaring_penguin said:

You’ll be able to install the free 15 minutes trial, just as always.

When paying the full price, you get early access, with all the warnings about possible bugs, but you won’t get to pay again for the final release.

What is the problem?

The problem is whether the bugs, and more importantly, any performance issues can or will ever be fixed and how quickly. I will give the trial a go. Performance remains my primary concern but the trial won't give any indication on how all the inevitable necessary addons and third party planes  will effect fps? Mind you, the Vulkan beta was great fun but it was free.