28 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Nice comparison! Thanks.

If anyone's from Narsarsuaq, we might be able to determine if there's snow on the ground there today 🙂

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

If anyone's from Narsarsuaq, we might be able to determine if there's snow on the ground there today 🙂

I'm not but in reference to that Yank in the Fjords comment earlier I'm actually a dual citizen USA/UK. Spent 20 years in Florida and despite having great weather and all the water I could throw my boat at I missed the mountains and windy roads of Europe. So with FSX I built up library of EU sceneries and all the OrbX airports. Many a happy day spent simming around your country. Been a fan of it since Heroes of Telemark as a lad lol but only been Denmark and Sweden so far. On my bucket list though! When my Jeep finally arrives from the US off that container ship (left hand drive of course!) I'll be taking cross channel ferries for years to come. Would love to drive to some of those airports I've simmed at but I KNOW I'd better get clothed up first 😄

• Like 2

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Posted (edited)

So here is what I am getting at: Synoptic MSFS Live weather is producing upperlevel clouds correctly.  It matches Navigraph's and Windy's cloud tops data and also matches NWS GOES sattelite IR, cloud top etc.   I have yet to see anything other than a whispy circle of small dim clouds above 20,000 feet when there should be a high level cloud deck that is broken scattered or even over cast.  I have not seen one single depiction of high clouds in a sngle scenario where they should exist.  I am asking if anyone has actually captured a screen shot of high level clouds where they obviously should exist.  I dont even see anvil heads on thunderstorms.

Edited by aniiran

On 4/21/2024 at 6:05 AM, Bunchy said:

I absolutely agree with the video creators comments about the cloud texturing being below what native MSFS can generate.

It looks very poor to my eye.

The MSFS Live Weather clouds look poor to my eye.

The problem with cloud depiction is that clouds look different in different parts of the world, and at different times of the year.   It's not an easy conundrum to solve.  What looks realistic to one person may look unrealistic to another.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Not from Greenland, but the live feed from Narsarsuaq shows no snow at the airport or surrounding mountains.

Edited by Dusk
  • Like 1

System: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @ 4.2GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 2600MHz CL18 RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB, Seagate 2TB HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog.

13 minutes ago, aniiran said:

I am asking if anyone has actually captured a screen shot of high level clouds where they obviously should exist

Lots of clouds here at different levels. I'm flying at 14000 btw. Live weather today. Not sure if they are realistic, not my field of expertise!

https://imgur.com/gallery/2h3ifjC

• Like 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Okay! These are the first genuinely impressive images of Active Sky that I’ve seen so far.👌

Quick question about something I’m still confused about; in live weather, does it produce turbulence, updrafts, etc in thunderstorms, heavy weather…?

My take on the clouds - it boils down to cinematic vs realistic. In my years flying IRL I may have seen MSFS type of cumulus once or twice in the world but not to the degree that MS uses them. Instead of cirrus, stratus etc we get more bunches of cumulus gigantus. However, they are beautiful and majestic and really look cool when flying through them, bright white, dark blue and grey - fantastic - but not realistic.

AS on the other hand has flat stratus, wispy cirrus layered cumulus - all much more realistic for the real world but not necessarily the most beautiful.

So the user has to decide what type of flying they want today - use AS in passive mode and get the movie clouds and just have fun and get the AS realistic wind control or use AS preset and get accurate depiction to test your flying chops on 0/0 approaches etc.

Neither is better - just depends on what you prefer and your particular type of flying,

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Okay! These are the first genuinely impressive images of Active Sky that I’ve seen so far.👌

Quick question about something I’m still confused about; in live weather, does it produce turbulence, updrafts, etc in thunderstorms, heavy weather…?

Yes, In preset AS or passive where AS controls the effects. It also controls it in historic weather according to the conditions

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

38 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I wonder why with MSFS Live Weather the bay was frozen, and with ASFS Preset mode it was water?

Rhett

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

I wonder why with MSFS Live Weather the bay was frozen, and with ASFS Preset mode it was water?

Same as with NZMF, I guess.

21 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

Lots of clouds here at different levels. I'm flying at 14000 btw. Live weather today. Not sure if they are realistic, not my field of expertise!

https://imgur.com/gallery/2h3ifjC

Hmmm those do deptict high clouds,  I wonder if some people are having server issues or a conflicting mod.  I can't get anything like that.

Here is Active Sky shows some weather ahead while I'm cruising at FL200

image.png?ex=6628363f&is=6626e4bf&hm=a38

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Same as with NZMF, I guess.

What do you mean?  Is there an explanation as to why MSFS does this (ice with Live Weather, water with Preset)?  Temp was the same with both (12C).

Rhett

1 minute ago, Mace said:

What do you mean?  Is there an explanation as to why MSFS does this (ice with Live Weather, water with Preset)?  Temp was the same with both (12C).

I've heard something about the snow resolution in the Meteoblue model being low resolution (at least what MS uses).