Sign in to follow this  
Silicus

Active Sky review

18 hours ago, JughedJones said:

But it just *looks* better

Way better.....clouds are "distributed" properly...Haze is in control as well, My take. Like the turbulence, nicely added feeling.

• Like 3

Alex 

Posted (edited)

Loved ActiveSky with FS9, FSX and already loving it for MSFS.  Realtime Online ActiveSky all the way flight plan loaded with realistic settings wake turbulence turned down and some other small changes, and smoothing rate set to 10. Oh and also update interval 15 minutes. Read on HIFI sim community forum If the transition rate is too noticeable set the smoothing rate to 5.

Just gonna get better!

Happy Landings

P.S. Already Enjoying The Affect The Humidity Changes Sun & Sky

Edited by jwhak
  • Like 6

In the video by Fielder, I actually like the AS sky better. It looks more like what the weather indicates, the cumulus look is wrong as shown in native MSFS weather. Whether the effects are generated correctly, it's hard to tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I almost find it hard to believe.  From my first flight with ASFS I have seen many cloud types, and the cumulus itself looks more natural to me in ASFS.  

Do you have some screen shots you can share with us?

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2024 at 3:42 AM, MarcG said:

I think it's a major issue that people have got used to Asobos cumulus puffballs everywhere, which granted do look very good but *only* when they're supposed to actually be there.

To me, whether they are actually supposed to be there or not, they still look good.

Everyone has different compromises, desires. For instance, I want all of my old planes to have old radios. On the other hand, I care not if my flights have weather not matching today's weather, or not matching typical weather at the location. Or if the time of day or season is off from present reality, I don't care.

It all depends on what you want out of the sim.

• Like 4

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

Fielder said: "It all depends on what you want out of the sim."

very true. we all should remember that from time to time instead of demanding our very own truth be nothing but the truth.

Joerg Neumann/Microsoft understands this better than many of his customers. 

that's why there is everything from hot air balloons to fighter jets. (I don't use either.) 😀

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 5

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

4 hours ago, aniiran said:

Do you have some screen shots you can share with us?

No, I'm on day 2 of a three week holiday in Scotland 😁

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

I care not if my flights have weather not matching today's weather, or not matching typical weather at the location. Or if the time of day or season is off from present reality, I don't care.

No wonder you find default live weather good 🙂

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

On 4/20/2024 at 9:48 PM, Fiorentoni said:

I am. Works great. I can even upload the historical data to Simbrief and the simbrief stuff (metars, weather radar, sigmets, winds aloft) adapts perfectly to it for flight planning. Finally being able to experience a hot asian afternoon or a cold american night in MSFS is great.

Do all the Simbrief weather layers show the uploaded ASFS weather or do they still show real time live weather even if ASFS weather has been uploaded?

Does anyone have any screen shots from FL200+ showing multiple levels of clouds and cirrius in Active Sky?  I'm trying to figure out if this program is just not that good or if I have an installation problem.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, aniiran said:

Does anyone have any screen shots from FL200+ showing multiple levels of clouds and cirrius in Active Sky?  I'm trying to figure out if this program is just not that good or if I have an installation problem.  

Right now at FL300 the "conditions" page says:

SCT012 extends to:4964 feet (Cloud type:ST, Turbulence:Severe, Icing:Moderate, Shear:Steep, Cloud shape:Flat). 
BKN022CB extends to:43461 feet (Cloud type:CB, Turbulence:Severe, Icing:Moderate, Shear:Steep, Cloud shape:Round). 

I can also see those 2 cloud layers. Screenshot (it's dark, sorry): https://ibb.co/BqyHLLb

Edited by Fiorentoni

1 hour ago, aniiran said:

I guess it would depend on the weather at the time at 20,000+  

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Posted (edited)

As the 56 page thread might close anytime soon, I'll share my latest video here. 

Background: I got AS a few days ago, but was busy in the weekend, so haven't had that much time with it. I've read the manual though - as that is one of the most common criticisms around here 😉 So I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the main features and settings, as well as what AS does, and what the limitations are. 

Anyway, in the video I compared AS to default in a strong crosswind scenario. I have a few opinions, but I'm interested to hear what other people are thinking first. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

Would greatly appreciate if anyone can share some comparison screenshots with default weather engine. I am very much interested in areas with high humidity/haze. Thanks

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

56 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

As the 56 page thread might close anytime soon, I'll share my latest video here. 

Background: I got AS a few days ago, but was busy in the weekend, so haven't had that much time with it. I've read the manual though - as that is one of the most common criticisms around here 😉 So I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the main features and settings, as well as what AS does, and what the limitations are. 

Anyway, in the video I compared AS to default in a strong crosswind scenario. I have a few opinions, but I'm interested to hear what other people are thinking first. 

Nice comparison! Thanks.