Sign in to follow this  
dm123

The Living, Breathing World

Don't kid yourself. You're the one who was already turned off. Not just by X Plane in general, but by truck shadows, and then made a big deal about how it doesn't add to the immersion level. It was explained that the sun in x plane casts a shadow on every object in the x plane world. And you seem to have this fixation on them by repeating your sentiments in your latest post. Completely disregarding all the other informative posts about nearly every aspect of XP10. People have taken the time to explain things in detail, and you make a post about how we only talk about truck shadows. The questions were answered by myself and several other people, VERY constructively and you either chose to, or completely failed to see that. Yes, I'm still baffled. Of course, I could talk to you like you're a 5 year old, but I do give you a lot more credit than that.
you are the one acting 5 years old ... please all .. lets talk more about ATC, AI, interface, airport detail ... this dude is hiding behind rhetoric vs. starting a dialogue.

you are the one acting 5 years old ... please all .. lets talk more about ATC, AI, interface, airport detail ... this dude is hiding behind rhetoric vs. starting a dialogue.
My apologies "anonymous".Here are two links that you will find useful and it will answer all your questions about AI, ATC and anything else you want to know about x plane 10.http://forum.avsim.net/forum/335-the-x-plane-general-discussions-forum/and http://www.x-plane.com/news/

Was there something written somewhere about why SLI was not implemented for XP-10, if not can somebody tell me why it's not?I'm asking because all modern games are built to use the power of 2 cards in SLI.Is this something that the team at XP-10 will work on down the road or is this something that will not be worked on?
I'll let those in the know expain why possibly, but as a future customer I really don't care. From what I'm hearing, we should get reasonable results from a single good card, hopefully the days of scrambling for every extra performance tweak will be gone. It does sound like we'll need to keep upgrading though, which isn't that costly nowadays. You have a nice system by the way!I have a few of the latest games, they all run stunningly well on my single 560 and old i7 920. And none of them take advantage of the multi-cores like xp10 does. Maybe that's why they can't go SLI.

Tierborn,You are welcome.Also, below is a link and an excerpt related to a discussion regarding SLI/Crossfire written by Ben Supnik, developer extraordinaire of XP10.Link:http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/10/x-plane-sli-and-crossfire/Excerpt:Should I Buy an SLI/Crossfire setup?Not for X-Plane – we can’t take advantage of it right now.Here’s another way to look at it.

• If you wanted 2400 GFLOPs on your GPU in August of 2008, you could buy the Radeon HD 4870 x2, which is basically two 4870s jammed together on a single card via Crossfire. This would set you back $549.
  • 13 months later, in September of 2009, AMD released the 5870, which could put out 2720 GFLOPs as a single GPU for $400.

The performance curve for GPU power is really quite steep, and a dual-GPU system typically costs at least twice as much as two of the single-GPU form. That’s a lot of money to pay for fill rate that will be available in about 18 months in single-card form.So the short version is: we don’t support SLI/Crossfire yet. Someday we may work with these technologies, but even if/when we do, they’ll only make sense if you really like high resolutions and framerates and money isn’t an object.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I'm glad some of you guys are digging my dog in the yard idea. I also appreciate the exchange on sloped runways. I think the realistic balance between field elevation and height of the airport environment will become refined over the upcoming releases of XP. This is my optimism. It seems like the most practical solution for MSFS was to make the entire aerodrome sit at published field elevation and in some cases creates the plateau. In a lot of instances there are airports actually sitting on a plateau in RW.The idea of being able to max out the feature or features and minimize others to make the sim most suitable to the individual is pretty spot on. If you want a lot of birds at low level to simulate the risks of landing near nesting flocks and get the XP9 Bird strike and broken glass sound effects, but do not want a lot of cars and dogs, girls or telephone poles, then I say go for it!I agree some fields are pretty radical. I was on KBWI in XP9 and getting my kicks off the gradual changes in elevation around the field then I encountered a taxiway that was like a ski slope. I hope to continue seeing refinement in the micro terrain at the field and terminal. I've traveled through a lot of airports where you can clearly see and feel elevation changes on the ground where runways may be at differing elevations from each other and even higher or lower than the terminal. And with all the new XP10 traffic, maybe the cars will stop going over the top of runways and other airport surfaces when the prominent feature of the airport in reality consists of bridging and tunneling. I know I've been a broken record on this subject. I'll speak on it no further.Let the experience be as real as it gets...

Keith Guillory

Lets get real here' date=' Flight! will outsell XP-10 by a very large margin, will have more products developed for it and be a better all round simulator.[/quote']Based on what? No one knows which sim will outsell which sim and by what margin. Least of all me. Based on what I have seen, and reading the various forum posts by other users, X Plane 10 will be "better" than Flight.
I agree with him in that I think Flight will definitely outsell X-Plane 10. The biggest thing in Flight's favor is Microsoft's marketing and distribution muscle, and brand name recognition -- I daresay more people have heard of Microsoft Flight Simulator than have heard of X-Plane, and for a lot of people, "flight simulator" is synonymous with Microsoft.As for which will be "better", I suspect the relationship between Flight and XP10 will be the same as it is between FSX and XP9: They will be largely comparable but will excel in different areas.

Excerpt: Should I Buy an SLI/Crossfire setup? Not for X-Plane – we can’t take advantage of it right now. Here’s another way to look at it.
  • If you wanted 2400 GFLOPs on your GPU in August of 2008, you could buy the Radeon HD 4870 x2, which is basically two 4870s jammed together on a single card via Crossfire. This would set you back $549.
  • 13 months later, in September of 2009, AMD released the 5870, which could put out 2720 GFLOPs as a single GPU for $400.

The performance curve for GPU power is really quite steep, and a dual-GPU system typically costs at least twice as much as two of the single-GPU form. That’s a lot of money to pay for fill rate that will be available in about 18 months in single-card form. So the short version is: we don’t support SLI/Crossfire yet. Someday we may work with these technologies, but even if/when we do, they’ll only make sense if you really like high resolutions and framerates and money isn’t an object.

With all due respect I don't think that it is up to the developer to say how much money we can spend on our rigs for XP-10 or why. The developer is already saying that a top of the line PC will not be able to run XP-10 maxed out and at the same time does not see why we would like to use SLI knowing that XP-10 is GPU and not CPU intensive??As I said before, if 2 of these are needed to run XP-10 maxed out I will buy them http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130733 but it's not up to the developer to tell me to lower the sliders because one card can't handle XP-10 maxed out, it's up to the developer to build XP-10 for SLI, does it make sense?
I agree with him in that I think Flight will definitely outsell X-Plane 10. The biggest thing in Flight's favor is Microsoft's marketing and distribution muscle, and brand name recognition -- I daresay more people have heard of Microsoft Flight Simulator than have heard of X-Plane, and for a lot of people, "flight simulator" is synonymous with Microsoft.As for which will be "better", I suspect the relationship between Flight and XP10 will be the same as it is between FSX and XP9: They will be largely comparable but will excel in different areas.
I'll repeat the same question I asked earlier......when?

Game software has always driven computer hardware not the other way around. Just because a few people can afford ABC that doesn't mean that software should automatically support it. No different than a sports car that can go 120 MPH. That doesn't mean that the speed limit should be 120 just because you can afford that car.

That's the key point. You "think" Flight will outsell X Plane. This is the point I'm trying to get at. It's all opinion. He said it "will" outsell x plane. I'm saying "I don't know". No one knows for sure. Microsoft HOPES it will. It's impossible to tell. What happens IF Flight turns out to be vaporware. Just throwing out a hypothetical. What if it's too fps intensive. There are way too many variables to be able to think about a judgement call on the perceived success of Flight and it's ability to outsell anything. If you go on MSFS's track record, then yeah, in all probability, Flight SHOULD outsell X Plane. But this latest version of x plane is proving to be a very hard one to beat, overall. So in that sense, will Flight be "better" or more "popular" because of marketing? It's very hard to answer that objectively.

Game software has always driven computer hardware not the other way around. Just because a few people can afford ABC that doesn't mean that software should automatically support it. No different than a sports car that can go 120 MPH. That doesn't mean that the speed limit should be 120 just because you can afford that car.
You got this one wrong Jim, if a company build a sports car (XP-10) that use regular gas only (one card) but can't use high octane gas (SLI) when the builder know that high octane gas is available why not building the car for high octane gas, it's like saying "We know we can get more MPH (FPS) and better response from the car (AA, resolution) on high octane gas, but since we built the car just for regular gas why don't you just floor it half way (not maxing out the sliders).....Now I understand it's not everybody who can afford the best sports car but the one who can should not be punished because of it and as I always said, there is no such thing as overkill in the world of PCs.

What if it's too fps intensive.
HelloFSX was too FPS intensive but still outsold XP9 by a huge margin, and now we have Austin telling us the todays hardware will struggle with XP10 at a reasonable level of detail, for example 20 Ai aircraftYet FSX with high end addons screams on my i52500K with loads of AI and third party ATC.I am buying XP10 without a doubt, after all I am a flight simulator enthusiast, it is in my interests to see the genre progress.But lets not get carried away, XP10 is looking fine but not really any better than a well set up FSX install with the best third party addons (which we all have by now)Now if Flight! whenever it turns up, fully supports SLI and multicore where does that leave XP10.Until I can buy and install any major European airport accurately modelled, fly out of it with a full quota of AI using realistic ATC in an addon as good as the NGX then XP10 will be something that I will buy, fly occasionally and keep an eye on its progress.