Sign in to follow this  
DamianSharpe

The Beta is Coming!

Thanks Rimshot.Speaking about MS statements to me it sounds unclear what they mean by " demographic ", anyway I just hope that's not a coverage to choose MS employees for betatesting or " privileged " magazines.......who can output good reviews in a later stage.

Thanks Rimshot.Speaking about MS statements to me it sounds unclear what they mean by " demographic ", anyway I just hope that's not a coverage to choose MS employees for betatesting or " privileged " magazines.......who can output good reviews in a later stage.
Demographic will mean:I certain number from each age group

I know that, thanks.I am just suspecting this is part of a marketing maneuver, in the reality they will pick up not randomly.This is only a suspect but seeing who programmed FSX ATC I tend to agree with my theory.

My guess is that they are looking for beta testers that would be a good overall representation of the demographics that Flight is aimed at.According to the Flight FAQ, that would include "virtual fliers of all interests and skills"

And gender . . . (so they definitely need to include some experienced female gamers/simmers).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

My guess is that they are looking for beta testers that would be a good overall representation of the demographics that Flight is aimed at.According to the Flight FAQ, that would include "virtual fliers of all interests and skills"And gender . . . (so they definitely need to include some experienced female gamers/simmers).
I do not think it make sense.What does MS expect to hear from kids ? Kids -> " Please equip planes with missiles and let the game be a kinetic arcade ! "From simmers : " I don't even fly if I won't be able to check the ILS id before landing ".Does MS really need a survey or beta-feedbacks to know what people wants ?

Don't worry, Microsoft has operated betas before and they know how to choose people and run a beta program.And betas are not used to gather people's wants.

Since they didn't ask for age, just how would they determine anything on that criteria?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I do not think it make sense.What does MS expect to hear from kids ? Kids -> " Please equip planes with missiles and let the game be a kinetic arcade ! "From simmers : " I don't even fly if I won't be able to check the ILS id before landing ".Does MS really need a survey or beta-feedbacks to know what people wants ?
My point was just that "demographics" should also include a gender spread, not just an age spread.Also, I haven't seen anywhere on the Flight site that this sim is being made for kids, so why are you assuming that "kinds" will be among the beta testers?Have you ever been part of a beta test before? I have (Terminal Reality's Fly, for one), so I know that they like to have some diversity in how experienced the beta testers are. Since Flight is clearly being marketed to (and will be used by) a wide range of users with a wide range of flightsim experience, it only makes sense to represent this demographic when selecting beta testers. A less experienced simmer will uncover issues that an experience simmer will often miss.
Since they didn't ask for age, just how would they determine anything on that criteria?
#6 on the application:"6. Age:"

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

#6 on the application:"6. Age:"
Good grief! I filled the bloody thing out this morning and already forgot the question(s)... blush.pngI'm only sixty-three and already exhibiting short-term memory loss... Getting old sucks! Shocked.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

But not because of X-Plane. As has been said many times before, their targetmarket is much wider. And the real hardcore simmers will probably get Flight to run next to X-Plane, that is if it turns out to be a good simulator ofcourse. But I guess that even amongst hardcore simmers the Microsoft series is more popular, simply because you have a wider range of addons to choose from. With the upcoming store I assume that will stay this way.
But you have to admit, making a beta announcement around the same time that X-Plane 10 is being released is an interesting coincidence. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to try and steal a little thunder from one of their biggest (only?) competitors.
Flight is almost certainly feature complete at this point. The beta is most likely for bug squashing and testing for hardware compatibility.

But, but, but... JSKorna said that MS never announces BETA's publicly...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It will certainly not be a random sample. If the results are to have any meaning, Microsoft will be seeking a sample of its target market.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.