Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Four months in: Windows 8 adoption is almost at a standstill

The model Microsoft was trying to adopt with Flight is failing all around (Window 8, Windows Store, Closed platform etc). It's like they've totally lost focus all around not just in our area of simming. Bill Gates did an outstanding job building Microsoft up and Steve slowly but surely is bringing it down. Microsoft's standing was huge which is slowing Steve B's mindless downward spiral. I hope the company wakes up soon before it's too late. Messing with Flight Simulator is one thing but mindless ideas concerning Windows is totally another and like this community the world isn't buying it (literally). Interesting read below:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/149762-four-months-in-windows-8-adoption-is-almost-at-a-standstill

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Give away free mousepads with purchase?

Imbed a bankcard keylogger virus?

Pray Google buys them out?

Bring back helper BOB?

Rehire Aces Team?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Windows 8 is what happens when a company designs software for its own marketing and strategic purposes rather than to fit a customer need.

In other words, they apparently learned nothing from Vista.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Windows 8 is what happens when a company designs software for its own marketing and strategic purposes rather than to fit a customer need.

They should have learned something trying to wrap this model around Flight Simulator.  It failed in our community but it's a serious vindication to see it fail in the much larger market of Window.  They keep messing around many will switch and go with Linux's many options (Red Hat, Mint, Ubuntu, etc).  We already have one Apple/Mac model we don't need another.  The very nature of IBM  Compatible, Open Source, Windows, Flight Simulator, was to have a platform people can build off of and innovate.  You can't do that if a company is over controlling content.  People from around the world come up with ideas no one company could have ever dreamed with their original software.  They can dismiss us without much thought but to see this 'Apple' approach fail in mass around the world is amazing to witness.  I doubt is Steve B is smart enough to go back to what made Microsoft great and embrace their innovative franchises.  Chasing the dollar doesn't always work, staying true to what made the company is always the best or you fail and at some point get bought out... 

FS2020 

Vista and 8 are completely different situations. Vista was just downright bad. It performed terribly and had numerous bugs. 8 has had very few, if not no major issues since I started using it at the beginning of December. I can't even think of a minor bug I've had. The only problem that most have with 8 is the Metro screen. People complain about it, but you have to give it a chance. I hated it myself, but watching a friend use it for long enough, I learned how it works and found that it is actually very useful. If you can just get past the new start menu, Windows 8 is an even more stable, optimized, and cleaned up Windows 7. It's the public's inability to accept something new that has caused it to be a failure, IMO. (I'm no fan of Steve Balmer either and wish that Gates was still in charge.)

Brandon Filer

It's the public's inability to accept something new that has caused it to be a failure,

People will not accept Windows 8 on the desktop because it simply does not provide any compelling reason to move from Windows 7,

People will not try it on a Tablet because the Surface has been a disaster.

In the UK you could see folks using i-pads almost from the day it was released here, I am yet to see a Surface Tablet being used anywhere here, same with windows phones they are simply not popular.

But a lot of Vistas glitchiness came from the futzing around with the system to make it more DRM friendly at the behest of content providers. As a sound blaster audio user at the time, I remember the frustration of having my hardware stop working correctly almost solely as a result of a marketing decision, and all of the resultant difficultys until the release of open AL.

Remember in the heyday when the web was full of articles like This and whole sites were dedicated to the subject?

Vista broke lots of older stuff for little discernible purpose but Microsoft's own ambitions against Apple, which apparently trumped user needs. Even now, the first thing people who need their systems to run correctly do is disable features passed down from Vista.

Hollywood's fault.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/10/microsoft-vista-drm-tech-security-cz_bs_0212vista.html">http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/10/microsoft-vista-drm-tech-security-cz_bs_0212vista.html

I think Microsoft have made a similar mistake now, with what feels like ungainly interface integration across dissimilar devices. I don't feel they had their customers needs firmly and primarily in mind when they did this, either. They have some big OS integration for their own future strategic purposes in mind, and people have no particularly compelling need at all to play along with them. Windows 7 jumped off the shelves because it released us from the pain of Vista. What does Windows 8 add that we need badly enough to switch?

Access to the Windows App store?  :lol:

Microsofts fault.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Using Win8 since it came out and no issues whatsoever. I see no difference from Win7 in terms of looks and usage, except BIG START SCREEN aka Metro. And I still don't know what is all the fuss about it.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Using Win8 since it came out and no issues whatsoever. I see no difference from Win7 in terms of looks and usage, except BIG START SCREEN aka Metro. And I still don't know what is all the fuss about it.

How is the inability to turn off UAC working for you?  

FS2020 

I ran Windows 8 on a laptop for a month or so before uninstalling it. My day to day laptop now runs Linux and my FS computer Win 7 x64. Can't see it changing any time soon - oh and I am typing this on an ipad :)

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

How is the inability to turn off UAC working for you?

I don't mind it. UAC was on on my Win7 non stop also.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Have you tried multi-tasking? How's that working out for you?

Oh wait, I forgot... You cannot multi-task...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Weird how MS has to fail everything, they could have just made traditional style OS with improved performance and some added features instead of replacing good parts of Win 7 with this rubbish.

I see no reason for anybody to update their home PC's to Windows 8.

Have you tried multi-tasking? How's that working out for you?

Oh wait, I forgot... You cannot multi-task...

May I ask what is your problem man? I don't do any less multitasking nowadays as I did with 7, Vista or XP. Bottom line Win8 work flawlessly for me, and I have tried all the windows since 3.11, a few Macs and Linux. If it doesn't work for you, or you don't like new START SCREEN, oh well.

Ivan Majetic