Sign in to follow this  
calooom

DoveTail Games Buys Licensing Deal with Microsoft

I think FSX is safe. They don't have permission to modify it. I bought FSX Gold on GFWL and it was just delivery service.

No connection to Live account (except download and installation), no logon.

Standard activation at first program start and that's it. You could uninstall GFWL, FSX doesn't need it.

They just want to bring more people to flight simulation and for their upcoming product.

I wonder what Steam will do in the way of VATSIM would it be promoted or would they push their online servers.....?

Cheers Josh Cliff

Things I muse about:

Many people who wandered away from the sad corpse of Flight were very interested in the program, but simply could not stomach the fact that it was now, not only limited, but that it would remain so forever. I wonder how many will gladly wander back into the orbit of a renewed FLIGHT? (Should that be what DTG intends)

I wonder if old DLC will be respected/replaced, or will Purchasers of the original FLIGHT DLC be SOL?

Will DTG reintroduce the program with all new areas, or simply enhance/complete the original areas, or both?

I wonder how much access they were given to evaluate the code and tools before the deal was finalized, and how much of a lead they have on creating new content?

I wonder how many partners they have already gathered, and who is already under an NDA?

I wonder if DTG will follow the previous DLC pricing policy of FLIGHT/Microsoft, or will we be seeing some expensive rate hikes?

I wonder if Tom flaps his arms, can he fly?

Meanwhile........... http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/10/microsoft-flight-sim-x-steam-train-simulator/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I wonder what Steam will do in the way of VATSIM would it be promoted or would they push their online servers.....?

VATSIM runs totally outside of FS, so absolutely nothing.

People somehow think that FSX and/or their FSX is somehow changing in any area because of this development and it is NOT changing.

I think FSX in it's current form is here to stay and will be here for a very long time until someone is willing to take a risk and push out a simulator that allows us to maybe ignore their DLC's and spend it on 3rd party addon makers.

Well, that describes X-Plane, which is totally open to 3rd party add-ons without licensing fees. Laminar doesn't sell any of its own DLC; the income is from incremental product versions every few years, including the higher-end professional training version. It's a privately owned company whose CEO doesn't need the money anyway, which might explain the attitude towards 3rd party sales.

That said, I understand completely why most FS9 and FSX pilots aren't ready to move to a different sim, due to lack of required features and investment in existing add-ons. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I dont get the revival to bring back FSX on steam. Its too old. They want it on steam to control addons. Well I highly doubt that all our fav devs will happily comply and give up a fraction to be on steam. That would leave it in a ugly default state. Good luck with that DTG. 

It would make more sense they just focus on Flight and what it shouldve been, and incorporating realism features on off to encompass a wide audience of newly interested newbies through to the hard core simmer. If they focus on it more as a game, it will tire quickly from just passing gamer curiosity rather than taking it on as a hobby.

Theres lots of negative comments about DTG, but Ill wait to see what they come up with, but if no serious realism  features, im not interested. Ill stick with P3D, and/or XPX if need be. 

Sooner or later negative reputation will come back to bite you hard. All it will take is serious competition, and the one who listens to their customer base and has great customer service is the one that withstands in the long run. 

If DTG, steals money, or doesnt listen to the issues, then people will go elsewhere, which means having Prepar3D and XPX around is a good thing. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I sense this thread will soon throttle back to idle...

I wonder if old DLC will be respected/replaced, or will Purchasers of the original FLIGHT DLC be SOL?

I had to look up SOL, and understand now why it isn't written out in full :Secret:

My feeling is DTG will try so hard to "rebrand" MS Flight, they might even deny their new program has anything to do with MS Flight at all! So yes, we will be SOL. My two cents.

I dont get the revival to bring back FSX on steam. Its too old. They want it on steam to control addons. Well I highly doubt that all our fav devs will happily comply and give up a fraction to be on steam. That would leave it in a ugly default state. Good luck with that DTG.

I don't think it's to control add-ons. It's just a new distribution channel for vanilla FSX.

If it works the way many other products on Steam handle 3rd party mods, you'll install the add-ons as usual under a different directory structure, something like "Steam/steamapps/common/fsx" or whatever. Steam installations usually don't care what you do with manual installation of folders and data under the app, especially with programs like FSX that won't be auto-updated and overwriting files.

I've never seen DLC sold through Steam that wasn't branded with the trademark of the original game's developer (like the "TS" on every Train Simulator DLC package). So I seriously doubt the intent is to sell additional DLC for FSX through Steam. That will probably be reserved for whatever DTG is planning on doing with the Flight code.

In other words, zero impact on FSX owners and the current ecosystem of add-ons (I think).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I had to look up SOL, and understand now why it isn't written out in full :Secret:

My feeling is DTG will try so hard to "rebrand" MS Flight, they might even deny their new program has anything to do with MS Flight at all! So yes, we will be SOL. My two cents.

If its re-branded that aggressively, I wonder if Avsim will have to start a new forum for it, or will they refuse to play the game, and still have all comments in the MSFLIGHT forum?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If its re-branded that aggressively, I wonder if Avsim will have to start a new forum for it, or will they refuse to play the game, and still have all comments in the MSFLIGHT forum?

We'll make that call when, if, what, happens.

I wonder if Avsim will have to start a new forum for it,

Well, in spite of using MS technology, it obviously wouldn't be a Microsoft flight sim anymore, so I guess AVSIM could create the "Dovetail whatever" Forums.

Edit

Ah, the question has already been answered.

I wouldn't doubt them re-branding it.. Their own train simulator was re-branded 4 times

Rail Simulator

Railworks

Railworks  Train Simulator

Train Simulator 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I wouldn't doubt them re-branding it.. Their own train simulator was re-branded 4 times

Rail Simulator

Railworks

Railworks  Train Simulator

Train Simulator 

Though each version had changes over the last one, it wasn't a simple rebrand.

Everybody wants their games on Steam nowadays (with exception of EA which has its own, though inferior service) simply because it brings loads of sales.