Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I LOVE Dovetail, and Steam, and ... FSX!

I am seriously thinking about uninstalling the old FSX on my C: drive. I have P3D v2 loaded and use it almost exclusively. But I am so curious now I want to load it with the basics and see.

FSX:SE and add...

- REX TD4 and REX Essential+ for Weather

- ORBX PNW and a few of the payware airports

- Carenado B1900

- A2A C172, Cherokee 180 and Cessna 182T

And take them for a rip at high settings. :)

C.

Well, just the recompilation using VS 2013 would help enormously as the code optimisations the compilers apply will target the sort of hardware we have nowadays, rather than that in 2006!

Pete

Maybe a simpleton question, but could I install SE and 'borrow' the compiled executable and run it in place of FSX.exe in my FSX folder and benefit from the recompile? ... or is there a lot more going in inside of FSX SE?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Maybe a simpleton question, but could I install SE and 'borrow' the compiled executable and run it in place of FSX.exe in my FSX folder and benefit from the recompile? ... or is there a lot more going in inside of FSX SE?

No...it doesn't work that way.  The .dlls are also changed too to work with the new .exe.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

:wacko:

Something not right there for sure. P3D is far more hardware efficient than either version of FSX and its easy to exceed FSX performance even with the extra bells and whistles, let alone with them turned off.

Not on my rig. P3DV2 doesn't look as good as FSX nor run as smoothly even as FSX-MS let alone FSX-SE. I'm sure P3D will come of age one day, but for me it isn't there yet I'm afraid.

Of course my needs are different to most. My FS PC only displays the outside world, on a 10 foot wide screen outside the window of my 737NG cockpit. No need for fancy cockpit shadows (there are real enough ones on the hardware ;-) ), and I'm flying too high most of the time to notice things like ground shadows. 

Pete

The EXE is only a small part of FS -- most of what goes on is in the assorted DLLs. They are all recompiled. You can't mix them.

You could try moving them all into your FSX folder, but I've effectively done the same thing the other way around by pointing all of the scenery and simobjects for FSX-SE to my FSX ones.

Note also that the FSX-SE EXE loads Steam, so its directory structure might be needed as it is -- I think it may not run unless it can load Steam. 

If you don't want Steam running in the background whilst using FSX-SE you can try closing it. That seems to work okay, but it tends to leave an invisible process running which will later prevent you re-running FSX until you use Task Manager to forcibly delete it (the problem otherwise is that it says it is still running and won't re-run).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I apologize for asking this, and I will don my asbestos-lined underwear in case of flames -

I did in fact use the search function...

So, my understanding is that the new FSX is "like buttah".  Definitely interested, suffering from NGX withdrawal.  But, PMDG doesn't work with this version of FSX?

Is there, like, a master listing that says what runs on this and what is not compatible?  That is all...

Love DCS but so very tired of flying around in a very small patch of eastern Europe.  Give me Nellis AFB and White Sands Test Range (and Tonopah, YES!), and I will be happy again.

Cheers!

Kev

Thanks, Stevan, that helps A LOT!  Kudos!

Kev

So, my understanding is that the new FSX is "like buttah".

I contributed to this impression with a very enthusiastic post on the first page of this thread where I praised the butterness of FSX-SE. I'll admit that after throwing every addon and their dog at it for the past few days I've managed to reduse performance in certain scenarios and experienced stutters etc in some situations. I'll still stand by my claim though that on my system TM FSX-SE runs significantly smoother (higher average frames + less stutters) than FSX did and P3Dv2 do in reasonably comparable scenarios.

Unfortunately I can no longer apply for the Academic license of P3D since my PhD in Applied Sexology has come to an end :-/ and the Professional license is too expensive, as expensive will be the more sophisticated add-ons I wouldn't like to miss :-(, so , while I wish all users of P3D a Bright (even probably 64bit ) future, I rather prefer to have my good-old all time preferred FSX back more stable and smoother than ever :-),

Also, as some have pointed out, my experience with P3D v1.4 and V2 was always of stutters, more than a smooth ride, although the shadows and other factors looked nice, but I sort of get the same, or very near the same with Steve's DX10 Fixer now in FSX SE too :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hey Joshua, I was just about to mention I wanted to get my preferred Airbus too, and apparently the A318/19 update is SE-ready, right?

I've been polling the Aerosoft Airbus X forums trying to read about what's new regarding the implementation of aircraft systems in the new series ? I am also interested to know if the FBW logic has been fine-tuned in this new version.

Does the new series include full ECAM Non-Normal checklists ?

If you are talking about the difference between Extended (not the very very old Airbus X) and the new series,

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/87929-airbus-x-airbus-x-extended/

No, we will not get out of the scope of non-SOP operations. FBW remains largely the same only with some tweaks.

Regarding FSX SE, http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/90623-a320a321-now-available-for-fsx-steam/ I do not have any idea if there is one for the 318/319 or not as I don't make the installers.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Thx a lot Joshua.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'd like to make the move to FSX-SE but have hit a recurrent problem - a terrain.dll crash after about 60 minutes flying in every flight.

I've reinstalled and updated SE to vanilla status, tried various Affinity Mask settings, Bufferpools = 0, reduced autogen and all traffic to zero but it makes no difference.

Performance while flying is great - FPS 100+ and VAS around 2GB but then comes the freeze without warning.

Curiously my boxed FSX with 400GB of scenery, aircraft,  weather and texture addons run without problems with all scenery settings maxed out apart from Autogen down one notch.

I recently upgraded my PC with an i7 5820 (oc to 3.8), GTX 780 and 16GB DDR4 so it's no slouch.

Other users have reported this problem but nobody has come up with an explanation or solution so it looks as though I'll be sticking to my boxed version for the time being.

Of course my needs are different to most. My FS PC only displays the outside world, on a 10 foot wide screen outside the window of my 737NG cockpit. No need for fancy cockpit shadows (there are real enough ones on the hardware ;-) ), and I'm flying too high most of the time to notice things like ground shadows.

That sounds like quite some setup B)

One thing FSX-SE seemingly does better than my boxed copy is terrain loading seems more efficient. I can slew as fast as possible, for as long as I want, and any blurries will clear almost instantly when I stop. The boxed version could take a few seconds doing the same test.

Rather than have two copies of all of my scenery (Gigabytes of it!) I use the same installed files for both. The FSX scenery CFG file and the FSX-SE CFG are just copies of each other. Both have all sceneries listed with their full paths, no assumption of being withing FSX or FSX-SE. That even includes all the default FSX layers, so that traffic files and textures for FTX and so on are shared.

Pete

Well, just the recompilation using VS 2013 would help enormously as the code optimisations the compilers apply will target the sort of hardware we have nowadays, rather than that in 2006!

Pete

Pete, I also have dual installs with FSX-SE on separate drive.  I have installed most sceneries, planes with no problems.  What I have left are all of my orbx stuff, which includes most airports and global. Since you mentioned the two scenery.cfgs.are the same I went into FSX-SE sceneery library and added several sceneries found in the program data/../FSX/ Scenery.cfg (copy - paste) to FSX-SE scenery.cfg.(not orbx).  Making sure there were no confilcts in areas and layers everything worked with no problem.  So I am saving a lot of disk space. Now my question is can I do the same with all my orbx scenery including global?  I am concerned with trying this with orbx since it uses FTX Central. Would I be able to just copy/paste all of the orbx stuff found in the FSX scenery.cfg over to FSX-SE scenery.cfg.  I hope I interpreted your comment above corrrectly.

Thanks for any comments.,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________