My feeling about Orbx

5 pages!

LOL

Edit; oops, sorry... six now  :lol:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

My feeling about Orbx...

Either

1: remove all your addons then uninstall P3D. Reformat your hard drive and start again (thanks to Orbx not supplying proper uninstallers)

2: Use UTX instead (I presume their software comes with an uninstaller?)

I chose (1) but when the next big P3D update comes (which requires reinstalling) I shall ditch Orbx and just use UTX products instead.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

My feeling about Orbx...

Either

1: remove all your addons then uninstall P3D. Reformat your hard drive and start again (thanks to Orbx not supplying proper uninstallers)

2: Use UTX instead (I presume their software comes with an uninstaller?)

I chose (1) but when the next big P3D update comes (which requires reinstalling) I shall ditch Orbx and just use UTX products instead.

I have UTX, both USA and Europe and was east to install, update, and zero problems. Excellent well programmed software. And guess what, all the different apps in UTX like lights, etc, each have their own uninstaller which shows up in the control panel uninstall of windows. I even installed an update for the UTX Europe area, and last night I found out that there was an update for  it. There is even an uninstall for the update now.   That's the way it should be done. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

i'd say give up on using software, too confusing.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I tend to agree, Tomaz. It suggests an attitude of "why would anyone want to uninstall ORBx software"? :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The stuff is fairly easy to remove with traditional folder deletes since they do not appear to use the infamous Windows register. However, They have a Scripts folder which is where they manage their products and that is a mess. Say that on their forums and the attacks will drive you to UTX.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Nothing against Orbx but the fact they are not providing any uninstallers for their products always annoyed me. I find it very arrogant.

I tend to agree, Tomaz. It suggests an attitude of "why would anyone want to uninstall ORBx software"? :huh:

Read the last part of post #24. It has nothing to do with arrogance  :rolleyes:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Read the last part of post #24. It has nothing to do with arrogance  :rolleyes:

I read it and I do understand where they are coming from... But practically all other developers do provide uninstallers. ^_^ 

Can some one confirm this, I think I read some  where   that orbx  and utx or is it  gex  doesn't  go to well with one  another you either  got  to use  one  or  another or  am  I thinking of  another texture addon  since  I know I read it  some where in one of  the forums

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

ORBX and UTX works just great together but NOT GEX, as both products overwrite the default textures, so you have to choose!

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Regarding the length of the thread: if one were to remove the posts that dwelled on what the OP might have done wrong, and only left the actual advice, this would be about 2 pages. Kudos to the usual helpful suspects (Ainscough, Sennett, Jack the Swede, et al).

To the OP with all respect: As a former technical trainer, you may have had to educate your user base with products which had already been thoroughly tested. That is an assumption on my part. Welcome to the world of flight simulation, where sound addon software construction is often not very high on the priority list. The inability to properly install/uninstall addons is just one of the more obvious flaws you may encounter. Wonderful ideas abound, but the devil always lives in the details. There are also instances of good to excellent softwate construction.

I have started creating a disk image prior to the install/update of addons. I then use the logging module of my uninstaller program to determine which files have been added, deleted, replaced or modified. I create copies of deleted, replaced or modified files from the disk image. If and when I decide to uninstall an item, I have the necessary information to ensure the uninstall is complete and accurate. This is a royal pain in the a**, but it tends to work. Too bad it sometimes has to.

Well there...I've managed to further extend this thread. Please forgive the apparent hypocrisy in my initial statement.

ORBX and UTX works just great together but NOT GEX, as both products overwrite the default textures, so you have to choose!

Thx  for  that knew it  was one of  them  thought it  might have some  thing  to do with the op since he has mentioned  he has utx  installed  and made me think  that it  could  have  been a issue.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Perhaps it might be an idea for everyone (which is undoubtedly the vast majority of users) who installs Orbx products and has zero problems with it to also start a thread about their Orbx experience?

Then this thread might be seen in the correct perspective.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

And you don't get it. Explain to me how a trees add on that was totally contained in a 60 mb .exe file takes 2058 files to update? That Tree add on id the only thing I ever purchased from Orbx, and nothing else of theirs on my HD. Your explanation should be really interesting. B)

And anyway, if you had taken the time to read my very detailed post above as to what I did. step by step, you will see that I did exactly what Orbx told me to do in running the update, and it still screwed up the operation of my P3D until I uninstalled the trees. .

I think it's you that doesn't get it...

You were given specific instructions:

Download this, install it

Click this to update

Nobody told you "cancel this or that"

Your own panic or sense that you knew better caused you to alter the steps and interrupt a process. You have no idea if what to you was "downloading" the files was a simultaneous download and install of those files (or even replacing other files).

Putting the blame on the developer when you have not followed instructions (or seem willing to) is not the way to get things solved...

I read it and I do understand where they are coming from... But practically all other developers do provide uninstallers. ^_^

I think you need to read it again...

Clearly you are not understanding the difference.

Can some one confirm this, I think I read some  where   that orbx  and utx or is it  gex  doesn't  go to well with one  another you either  got  to use  one  or  another or  am  I thinking of  another texture addon  since  I know I read it  some where in one of  the forums

Jack

the Swede in Spain

"ORBX" is not a product, it is the company name.

What doesn't work together is FTX global gith GEX, and Vector/Open LC with UTX