Wow SMP V3 is ultra realistic lmao

20151025_053433_zpsw6xefy62.jpg

20151025_053108_zpsm7f6kxuw.jpg

20151025_052929_zpsrb81wpb0.jpg

20151025_052906_zpsbamiftbz.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist  :smile:

• Upvote 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

:fool: I had to look twice at that 

oops sorry lol

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

:smile: Very Nice!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Great shots.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Now the new toy euphoria has died down, how are people finding it?

I cannot use it at full distance as it hits my fps, and also finding the transition to and from the "duvet" overcasts to leave a bit to be desired. Maybe I haven't yet found my ideal settings?

I'm still happy with it. It's producing some great overcast skies without killing my computer and it also makes instrument approaches much more visually appealing. It's not a huge upgrade compared to v2 (but then again we did get it at a discount), so still happy here. I do find whilst the clouds are loading in and out it can freeze the sim for 1-2 seconds.

Now the new toy euphoria has died down, how are people finding it?

I cannot use it at full distance as it hits my fps, and also finding the transition to and from the "duvet" overcasts to leave a bit to be desired. Maybe I haven't yet found my ideal settings?

The transition is the result of scud simulation. I think some people are confusing the overcast layer needing to start exactly where they see a cloud layer begin (because that's what they've always been used to with default X-Plane) compared to what SMP 3 is actually achieving. The tops and bottoms of clouds are not perfectly flat! We actually discussed and tested a "less" scud effect at one point with our beta team but the feedback was they then felt the change was too abrupt. This is the happy medium.

I'm still happy with it. It's producing some great overcast skies without killing my computer and it also makes instrument approaches much more visually appealing. It's not a huge upgrade compared to v2 (but then again we did get it at a discount), so still happy here. I do find whilst the clouds are loading in and out it can freeze the sim for 1-2 seconds.

The same location of slider in v3 is producing MORE clouds than in v2. Very important to remind you that "less is more" with SMP3 when compared to v3, so please take this into account when deciding what settings you want. To me it sounds like a tough load on your card if you're having 1-2 second load pauses.

Founder of X-Aviation

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I'm happy with it and think it was well worth the 19.95. The overcast particularly is much better than default which suits my major flying areas in the UK well and when cumulus formations are big they look fantastic.

On the minus side the 2 - 3 second pauses in transitions are annoying and clouds to full distance kill frames, even with a 4GB card.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I agree with the above. It is worth 19.95 but I hope that further work is completed in updates on the duvet cloud effect when viewed from below as it has a tendency to look a little too unnaturally flat like an abrupt uniform cover over the world. It would be great if there could be more variation in the cover to make it look less flat and less uniform from below. From above it looks great because the sunlight above interacts very well with the cloud surface especially at dusk and dawn and emphaises the non uniform 'wave like' look of the clouds like in real life.

I haven't seen it yet but is it possible to see an end to the duvet effect from above as the weather changes like in real life where a  sheet of cloud cover will end as you fly over clearer skies maybe with broken cumulus visible at a lower altitude? That would be incredible. Or if it is possible that there could be holes in the duvet or variations in density to create a more life like and less uniform look.

These are nice to haves and suggestions, but between the improved look, performance, overcast possibility and how the light interacts with the clouds, I can absolutely recommend V3 to anyone. Be careful though in terms of other reports because when I loaded it up at first I was a little disappointed. I had real world weather turned on and saw not a very big difference with scattered clouds. You will need to either be lucky with the real world weather or create your own weather scenario to really see the difference. Also increase the default settings in config panel if your system allows to see what it can really do. I only say this as there were some early reports where users said there was not that great a difference. I can understand why they may have had this first impression without making these changes.

I hope that helps anyone sitting on the fence.

It would be great if there could be more variation in the cover to make it look less flat and less uniform from below. 

Try the "broken stratiform" setting - I think that will give you what you want.

Try the "broken stratiform" setting - I think that will give you what you want.

Thanks. I'll try when I get home from work. Any chance Sundog might be able to create an enhanced water package for X-Plane 10 like on your website?  :Tounge:

Any chance Sundog might be able to create an enhanced water package for X-Plane 10 like on your website?  :Tounge:

Heh! We would if we could. X-Plane's SDK is more open than the other big flight sims, but it's not quite open enough for us to pull that off. Our water would only be in X-Plane if Laminar were to license the tech and integrate it themselves.

Heh! We would if we could. X-Plane's SDK is more open than the other big flight sims, but it's not quite open enough for us to pull that off. Our water would only be in X-Plane if Laminar were to license the tech and integrate it themselves.

Darn. That would be the icing on an already sweet cake. Enhanced dynamic water and waves would add so much to the atmosphere. Maybe one day (hopefully before X-Plane 11).