Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

What's your day job?

You're young enough to start, but only just.  I wouldn't wait much longer.  Presumably you've saved enough as a CFO to start this expensive process.  But good on you for doing it!

Thank you Erich for the advice, started doing some researches here and there, will study its feasibility and decide upon it. The only risk is to find a job as pilot at this age.

I'm also 35, well established on a very good career path, but if I could pass the medical (I can't) I'd drop it all in a heart beat to become a pilot.

Very sad to hear that. Think of getting a ppl beside your job if possible, so you can fly during weekends/holidays.

Thank you Erich for the advice, started doing some researches here and there, will study its feasibility and decide upon it. The only risk is to find a job as pilot at this age.

That's really the issue.  Getting your CPL is easy enough, it's getting a job with low hours that's the problem.  But I'm sure as a CFO you have other opportunities while you work away at that.  Best of wishes with that.  Definitely pursue it.  I, like you,  was going to do the same at 33 but chose the safer option, which I have regretted immensely at times.   Go for it.

I am a chief financial officer, thinking to change my career at the age of 35 to do what am passionate about.....be a pilot..... need some advice here !!!

I don't think 35 is too "old" to change profession, I myself did it in my mid 30's in switching from Risk Management to IT. If you pursue your flying career full time, you should easily have your CPL and even CFI within six months. The question for your really is if you are willing to struggle financially for the first few years as you build time as a CFI then the regionals which you may make a subpar salary flying in the right seat. Are you willing to pay $100K for your flight training just to make $25K for the first few years? My undergrad was Aeronautical Science from Embry-Riddle back in the late 90's. I would say at least 50% of my friends/classmates are not even working in the aviation field despite having the ratings. Those who are flying, they are flying regionals and corporate, none for the legacy carriers where it can be very competitive to get into. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

I own and manage a 8-person company; the Norwegian distributor for a world wide brand making computerized engraving- / milling and lasermarking machines.

• Like 1

23.png

Pilot. 40 years at it as of last January. 17 years of it I did rotary wing but haven't flown rotary since mid 1990s. The pic is when I flew the Canadair CL215 on forest fire suppression. About 7 years ago I moved into the office and now fly a G1000 equipped king air 90 for 60-70 hours a year plus annual training in a level C sim for currency and keeping the atpl. Flew the Saab340 & HS748 for a bunch of years....we took them both into gravel strips in Canada's north. Retiring in May. Been a great career.

• Upvote 4

i'm a retired bus driver with a background in… Well just read my profile...

I am now thinking about going out on auditions again as an old fat fart, instead of a pretty leading man...sigh...

if y'all haven't heard of airline Pilot guy, http://airlinepilotguy.com/

its a really terrific, fun  show & podcast on real world "Tube Flying" .  

...thought I'd poke fun at them and jiggle my creative bones with stuff like this

Regards to all,

chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hi Kylan, Really enjoyed the Saab. It was 15+ years ago and I was lucky enough to spend a few years in it. My company (at the time) operated from 11000' of pavement to 4000' gravel in the arctic doing ndb approaches up north with the occasional vor/dme....didn't have any gps approval then for approaches. About 2 years ago I was sent for the full initial at FlightSafety on the Saab as a refresher as i was the in house "subject matter expert"  on it..... actually I was the only one in the office with time on it then. Enjoyed every minute of it. I flew the B & B+ models. Never got in the A model. To me it was a pilot's airplane. Could handle some impressive crosswinds which was handy as most arctic community airports only have one runway and in the winter they weren't always cleared full width of snow. As long as you did your part the airplane would do its part. I wish there was a Saab for FSX/P3d by PMDG.

• Upvote 1

Attorney, private practice, primarily criminal defense. Started simming in middle school on SubLogic's flight simulator for the Commodore 64.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

A Business Systems Analyst in IT. In my younger days, I almost made ends meet doing radio sports play-by-play.

Started simming on the Apple IIe with SubLogic back in Elementary School.  I still have the floppies!  Now I build my own home PC's customarily to accommodate Flight Sim!

Kevin Young

I'm a soon to be Ph.D. candidate who researches cloud physics to improve our understanding of their effects on the large-scale atmospheric dynamics, climate, and short-term precipitation processes.

So I do a bunch of programming, manuscript writing, pitching proposals, data visualization, and supercomputer use.

One day we'll have nice dynamic clouds in flight simulation and better quantitative precipitation forecasts in RL.

ToPxuBo.gif

They don't have to be purple though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I worked in Fleet Service. We're the guys who load the planes. The 190's were not built to be a mainline airplane. They are really just a large commuter jet. The forward cargo bin is very long and narrow with a low ceiling. Trying to stack luggage in that thing was like a deathwish. We used to call it the flying occupational injury. The Embraers 170/175/190 were terrible when they first came online. The computer systems would crash regularly, requiring a reboot. We called them POS 180's. POS... piece of sh**, 180 referred to you pushing it back and it doing a 180 and returning to the gate with a mechanical.

I have at least 1.5 million miles as a commercial passenger. I can relate to this comment on the RJs. They're POS 180s for me from now on.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I'm a soon to be Ph.D. candidate who researches cloud physics to improve our understanding of their effects on the large-scale atmospheric dynamics, climate, and short-term precipitation processes.

So I do a bunch of programming, manuscript writing, pitching proposals, data visualization, and supercomputer use.

One day we'll have nice dynamic clouds in flight simulation and better quantitative precipitation forecasts in RL.

ToPxuBo.gif

They don't have to be purple though.

Well, that'd be a nice science spinoff :wink:

I'm a soon to be Ph.D. candidate who researches cloud physics

That model you posted has some good representation of the cooling effect of the upper atmosphere with some shear from upper level winds. I really like it! Did you write that simulation?

Good luck with your studies!