Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

LOVING IT!

MS Flight and a much  better flight model than anything I have seen with Flight School aircraft. 

well at least the flight school planes have cockpits. :smile:

personally i think it will be a more interesting comparison once the 'full' DTG sim is out whenever that is... 

i agree that the flight model from flight was great. another thing from flight which i wish DTG (or P3D for that matter) would look at is the sort of hexagonal/circular autogen patches for trees, it looked much more natural than the old FSX squares style.

cheers

-andy crosby

15 bucks will barely buy you 2 sandwiches at your local fast food place....and those are gone after a few minutes. Why not :P

Speaking for me, I am not at all sorry for the 15 bucks but for the lost hopes for something better.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If I had a major complaint, its that after people here pointed it out repeatedly, DTG went ahead with a release that hints that their designers have no idea what sky, clouds or water look like. 

I can only assume they did their designing in a building with no windows.

No; clouds do not glow like giant magical puffballs at night.

And shorelines are not blue outlines around the coast, described by one person in the Steam comments section as "The police chalk-marks around this sims dead body."

I winced, but also laughed.

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am hesitant to add to this but I have to say something about consumer reviews. They are a big deal in the particular business that I am in. You can be sure to 2 things. 1. A huge chunk of the positive reviews are faked! 2. You can be absolutely certain that virtually all of the negative reviews are written by real dissatisfied consumers!  :wink: 

Glad you kept a lid on it Bill :smile: ! Manny right click on your title in Library and select Create Deskop Shortcut.

The Steam installer created the desktop ICON automatically for me. The only change I made was to the Properties so that it will always launch in "Administrator Mode."

At least we have default FSX ATC, updated World airports database, maybe some navaids too ( ? ) ....

But.... is there AI traffic ?

Yes there is AI traffic! Bump up the settings if you want to see more AI. :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If I had a major complaint, its that after people here pointed it out repeatedly, DTG went ahead with a release that hints that their designers have no idea what sky, clouds or water look like. 

Well, nobody can say we didn't try to help, that's for sure.

The puzzling thing, to me, anyway, is why this looks so poor when DTG's train sims look fine with sky and cloud colors. It suggests they don't really have a good handle on the code.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Well, nobody can say we didn't try to help, that's for sure.

The puzzling thing, to me, anyway, is why this looks so poor when DTG's train sims look fine with sky and cloud colors. It suggests they don't really have a good handle on the code.

The good thing is that I suspect some FSX/P3D programmer who finds this just as distracting as I do will go in there and fix it (to rapturous applause) if DTG doesn't.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

But.... is there AI traffic ?

Yes, there is . . . some. Not nearly enough, but I've seen a few other aircraft in flight, and the ATC has notified me of most of them.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thx Arwen and Bill, all the time ai was up, never seen any, even at bigger airports... all sliders full right...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Really? I wasnt able to land at my airport because of too much traffic. There were 4 cherokee on approach and 1 on rwy and another 2 taxi.

Then I really must have messed something in my settings ?

probably, just has happened with the "Axis" menu, I didn't scroll down enough in the menus ?  Will check that ASAP...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

I am hesitant to add to this but I have to say something about consumer reviews. They are a big deal in the particular business that I am in. You can be sure to 2 things. 1. A huge chunk of the positive reviews are faked! 2. You can be absolutely certain that virtually all of the negative reviews are written by real dissatisfied consumers!  :wink:

"A happy customer tells his neighbor... an unhappy one tells the neighborhood."

• Upvote 3

A definitive statement with zero evidence from the person who also made a definitive statement that they were done commenting on Flight School. Why should anyone believe a word you say?

• Upvote 2

Give people power to really test their personality.

After a few free-flights around spots I liked to wander around in FSX / XPlane my feeling about FS is as expected - underwhelmed. Some initial comments would be::

- The FTX global textures are a huge improvement in default FSX / XP ones, but not good enough to give me a real sense of immersion.

- Tree models are nice, but I think some land class assignments might be putting some species in wildly inappropriate areas.

- Lighting under some weather conditions and times of day is pretty realistic. In most, it's not.

- That haze is horrible.

- Plane models are pretty good, although a bit on the glossy side outside.

- Runs really smoothly. I seem to keep mostly between 30-60 frames, even in areas pushing a lot of autogen. As a first release I expect that to improve to give headroom to start using addons in the full sim.

- Biggest bugbear for me is the bloody autogen pop-in and blurries / texture pop-in. Really annoyed to see this is still an issue; is it something unavoidable with ESP platforms?

Basically I'm happy to have picked it up as a show of support but I'm hoping for a LOT of work on various aspects of the rendering before the full sim. I'm happy to pay for addons to improve scenery / weather etc., but if it means I still have to put up with pop-in, unrealistic lighting etc. I won't be investing anymore.

Keep at it DTG!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I can only assume they did their designing in a building with no windows.

The only idea I can come up with is that DTG wanted Flight School to look significantly different than FSX. And apparantly they held on to that design choice even when the result was actually worse than FSX under certain circumstances - a unique look seemed to be more important than a pretty look.