Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

Just got the message to pick up my new GTX 1070 OC. I have already tested AS16+ASCA (Full Dynamic) with my GTX 780 / 3440x1440 (32'' curved) but had to use moderate cloud settings, which looked fantastic anyway. But now ... gonna blow up my cloud/visibilty/AA settings (hopefully)  :smile:

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

To me the SC look like real clouds, rather than drawings of clouds that aren't quite right. 

Bob, how does  REX SC display more complex cloud types?  

I'm sticking with ASCA for now to hopefully make a thorough assessment of it.  What I have seen so far I really like with some exceptions where -  as Jeroen noted - clouds are overly detailed, and sometimes look like a cut and paste onto the screen.  But generally I'm happier with ASCA than I originally thought I would be. 

Bob, how does  REX SC display more complex cloud types?  

I'm sticking with ASCA for now to hopefully make a thorough assessment of it.  What I have seen so far I really like with some exceptions where -  as Jeroen noted - clouds are overly detailed, and sometimes look like a cut and paste onto the screen.  But generally I'm happier with ASCA than I originally thought I would be. 

All I can say is I have been looking at clouds and the sky for almost  3/4 of a century, from both on the ground and in the air, and  the clouds I see in Rex Texture HD + soft clouds, look more  like the real thing  to me. Did they look as good, using ASN, absolutely not. The difference with AS16 is amazing. I find myself flying around on VA flights now, just looking out the windscreen at the clouds. That being said, if I didn't already have Rex soft clouds, and bought ASCA, I would probably stick with it, because I imagine ASCA will be improved over time. I just feel that HiFi Tech is the master of weather engines, and Rex is the master of cloud textures. 

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

All I can say is I have been looking at clouds and the sky for almost  3/4 of a century, from both on the ground and in the air, and the clouds I see in Rex Texture HD + soft clouds, look real to me. 

What about the performance using the REX textures?    One of the things which I've noticed since using the ASCA AS16 comb is that the performance is hugely improved even with full overcast to 110 miles.

What about the performance using the REX textures?    One of the things which I've noticed since using the ASCA AS16 comb is that the performance is hugely improved even with full overcast to 110 miles.

The FPS increase using Rex, and AS16, was immediate. I have been reading so many posts about this upgrade, and this add on and this new version of P3D will get you xx% more FPS, and I have never seen this increase on my system, so I always take these claims with a grain of salt. With AS16, I have gone from 3 cloud layers to 5, and in addition increased cloud coverage density from high to maximum, and my FPS are higher than they were with the lower settings. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The FPS increase using Rex, and AS16, was immediate. I have been reading so many posts about this upgrade, and this add on and this new version of P3D will get you xx% more FPS, and I have never seen this increase on my system, so I always take these claims with a grain of salt. With AS16, I have gone from 3 cloud layers to 5, and in addition increased cloud coverage density from high to maximum, and my FPS are higher than they were with the lower settings

Great to know. Thanks.  I was under the impression that performance gain/loss was mostly as a result of the textures used. Glad to know it's therefore actually the AS16/P3DV3 combo which is responsible for this.

although it would be nice to have a manual available before installing.

Click on the ? (question mark) on both apps and the manual in PDF form will open.

\Robert Hamlich/

Turbulence

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

All I can say is I have been looking at clouds and the sky for almost  3/4 of a century, from both on the ground and in the air, and  the clouds I see in Rex Texture HD + soft clouds, look more  like the real thing  to me. Did they look as good, using ASN, absolutely not. The difference with AS16 is amazing. I find myself flying around on VA flights now, just looking out the windscreen at the clouds. That being said, if I didn't already have Rex soft clouds, and bought ASCA, I would probably stick with it, because I imagine ASCA will be improved over time. I just feel that HiFi Tech is the master of weather engines, and Rex is the master of cloud textures. 

I noted this earlier, but as part of the screenies I took last night I took screen caps of the same shot using all the ASCA themes, ASCA using REX with ASCA textures, and ASCA with REX all the way. It's interesting. The REX textures are still superior most of the time, but like with the ASCA textures it depends a lot on the theme / textures that your using. The first shot with REX looked odd because the textures just didn't mesh well into a big thunderstorm. Others look better. But I think if one can get their REX cloud textures right, the ASCA / AS16 stuff will look great. I'm going to tweak that more tonight.

And agree on performance. I was flying through heavy clouds / thunderstorms last night, with really maxed settings, and didn't even notice FPS.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

After the tests ...

I bought the AS2016, amazing! (Clouds REX4)

Metar SBPA: SBPA 112239Z 14007KT 8000 +TSRA BKN030CB BKN090 17/15 Q1006

Active Sky Next:

o7blqIu.jpg

Active Sky 2016:

F4SBlyq.jpg

ZOWDtQ5.jpg

ymqlyWc.jpg

the clouds I see in Rex Texture HD + soft clouds, look more  like the real thing  to me. Did they look as good, using ASN, absolutely not. The difference with AS16 is amazing

I absolutely agree with that. AS16 is a big step forward compared to ASN (for instance, performance and haze are amazing!). Unfortunately my last few flights were around the Greek islands, where I "only" could enjoy blue sky and nearly no clouds :P

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I absoultely agree with that. AS16 is a big step forward compared to ASN. Unfortunately my last few flights were around the Greek islands, where I only had blue sky and nearly no clouds ;-)

Yes, my first flight, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, I was starting to get worried until I looked at the weather on line where I was flying.. 

Here are a couple RW flights I watched circumnavigating thunderstorms near Kansas City, MO last night on flightaware, one was a 744 at FL400 so they must have been some pretty severe storms. I thought someone might want to try AS16 with historical weather. :smile:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1376/history/20160712/0635Z/KMCI/KOMA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAR2923/history/20160712/0535Z/KORD/KSEA

Thanks for the links Jim, very interesting. 

This brings up a question for our RW pilots here.  Are these diversions around weather initiated by the PIC viewing his weather radar asking ATC for clearance to deviate (this is how we do it on VATSIM) ? Or is the heading change controlled by ATC watching weather radar in conjunction with all the other traffic enroute ? 

I often wondered who the "orchestra conductor" is when I watch these real world deviations around weather :wink:

WAT1460.png