Sign in to follow this  
JLuis

Active Sky Cloud Art for FSX & P3D - Released!

Thanks for the links Jim, very interesting. 

This brings up a question for our RW pilots here.  Are these diversions around weather initiated by the PIC viewing his weather radar asking ATC for clearance to deviate (this is how we do it on VATSIM) ? Or is the heading change controlled by ATC watching weather radar in conjunction with all the other traffic enroute ? 

I often wondered who the "orchestra conductor" is when I watch these real world deviations around weather :wink:

Both are possible.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Erich, while I sit here sipping a coffee...and am in pro-con, pro-con, pro-con for dropping the $$$ hammer on AS16...here is my present flight with ASN/REX4 Direct/Soft Clouds, and I wonder, how much better can my sky become, over the following screen grabs in PNW?!!?  I look at the AS16/REX and AS16/ASCA pics...and really, really don't see the wham-bam gotta get this difference.  I'm trying to...lol...

Mitch

I was thinking the same way. I was really happy with ASN + Softclouds + REX Overdrive HD.

But AS16 is in my eyes worth the money. You get better performance, better looks and better "feeling" of the weather.

Just download the demo and fly through some serious weather... :-)

I was thinking the same way. I was really happy with ASN + Softclouds + REX Overdrive HD.

But AS16 is in my eyes worth the money. You get better performance, better looks and better "feeling" of the weather.

Just download the demo and fly through some serious weather... :-)

Ok..I'll do that.  There's been a few that state it's worth the coin dropped.  Thanks for your input!

Post edit:  Does better performance equate to higher sustained FPS, or merely smoothness?

Mitch

I just flew from Atlanta to Tamp Florida in the 737 -7 NGX. About 50 miles south of Atlanta the lightning and turbulence started at around 16,000 feet and got worse and worse. At one point I was at my cruise altitude of FL390, and I was still in the clouds, and the VSI was going from 1000 ft down to 1,000 up , and it was difficult to change any settings on the MCP, or radio stack due to the severe turbulence. There was a point on the approach into Tampa, where I was thinking that I might have to fly to Miami or Palm beach, because the weather was too bad to land. In all my years of flying home sims, I have never had a flight like this....AS16 has made flying P3D an entirely new experience. 70fb74dc-290e-4ec6-8d08-2e20d2d9289c.png

I flew LGA to MCO yesterday, saw a huge line of storms in my way. With the way AS16 now renders thunderstorms and the violence of flying into them, for the first time I actually made sure to avoid them. I was on Vatsim and the controller allowed me to deviate as necessary. I wound up finding a hole 20 miles left of track. So bloody realistic now with these summer Thunderstorms!!

• Upvote 3

Eric 

Nice.

What setup is that then in terms of weather/textures?

That was Navid's sky textures, REX cloud textures including soft clouds and AS16

That was Navid's sky textures, REX cloud textures including soft clouds and AS16

Ok basically identical to mine apart from the fact I'm still on ASN. My wallet might not be your friend!  :P

Ok basically identical to mine apart from the fact I'm still on ASN. My wallet might not be your friend!  :P

Same here. From Erich's pictures AS16 looks really nice. And who said that you don't get overcast without ASCA? Looks good for me with the REX textures. I guess, I will give the free trial a go on the weekend...

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Same here. From Erich's pictures AS16 looks really nice. And who said that you don't get overcast without ASCA? Looks good for me with the REX textures. I guess, I will give the free trial a go on the weekend...

Pics are slightly over-saturated due to my phone, but I have not had a better weather experience with regards overcast conditions.  It is, at the very least, worth your time trialing it.

I have also had a couple very interesting flights with AS16/ASCA.  LOVE AS16 but I'm back and forth on ASCA as it looks great at times and other times the textures seem odd to me.  The one thing I don't care much for are the sky textures.  I disabled them in ASCA and restored my previous textures but every time I started AS16, the same ASCA sky textures loaded!!  Ended up uninstalling ASCA....started AS16, and they STILL popped in.  Had to then uninstall/reinstall AS16 to clear the textures.  I would like to put ASCA back on have it not touch my sky textures.  Haven't re-installed yet as this issue of them popping in without having them enabled is a bit strange....!! 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I have also had a couple very interesting flights with AS16/ASCA.  LOVE AS16 but I'm back and forth on ASCA as it looks great at times and other times the textures seem odd to me.  The one thing I don't care much for are the sky textures.  I disabled them in ASCA and restored my previous textures but every time I started AS16, the same ASCA sky textures loaded!!  Ended up uninstalling ASCA....started AS16, and they STILL popped in.  Had to then uninstall/reinstall AS16 to clear the textures.  I would like to put ASCA back on have it not touch my sky textures.  Haven't re-installed yet as this issue of them popping in without having them enabled is a bit strange....!! 

Not entirely sure, but I think you will continue to see the ASCA sky textures until you replace them again with something else.  Whether that be reverting via ASCA(if that's possible?) or installing REX textures or going back to default somehow.  But, once ASCA textures are installed, that's what you'll use until you "install" different ones.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Not entirely sure, but I think you will continue to see the ASCA sky textures until you replace them again with something else.  Whether that be reverting via ASCA(if that's possible?) or installing REX textures or going back to default somehow.  But, once ASCA textures are installed, that's what you'll use until you "install" different ones.

Exactly. You just need to run REX Interface again to activate your old sky/cloud textures.

Word of caution, however. If you have AS16 and ASCA installed, make sure that latter is uninstalled, otherwise with each AS2016 session ASCA starts automatically and it's not possible AFAIK to isolate ASCA lauch without uninstalling it at all. That's why some folks feel that they have the "same sky colors" 

Word of caution, however. If you have AS16 and ASCA installed, make sure that latter is uninstalled, otherwise with each AS2016 session ASCA starts automatically and it's not possible AFAIK to isolate ASCA lauch without uninstalling it at all. That's why some folks feel that they have the "same sky colors"

Could you also just not have ASCA inject/install sky textures?  Can't remember what options exist now off the top of my head.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Could you also just not have ASCA inject/install sky textures?  Can't remember what options exist now off the top of my head.

No idea. I'd rather have HiFi to provide a legit option to separate ASCA from AS2016 launch on user's discretion.