alexcolka

FSX 10 Years today!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow that is really an achievement!

Happy Release Birthday :D

Still love FSX too :)

No migration plans ^^

Happy birthday! I still remember what a mess it was at launch.

Yup..it sure was..

I loved the water in FSX (what a leap from FS9 water) and globe (not flat earth) which broke a bunch of Addon Airports..notably, Vauchez (Flightzone 01 KPVD and flightzone02 (KPDX)

and more importantly, the new PC I had built (top of the line at that time) specifically for FSX ran like a dog and I quit simming for over 2 years. Dark ages!

And then the apocalypse! MS quit Flight Simming! Oh, the Horror!

But still, FSX is l good today which has morphed into P3D by LM (The Savior) and all is well in this world.

:Tounge:

Is there any other software game still being played in the same numbers after ten straight years, I wonder?

Considering it still crushes PCs, it doesn't play like a 10 year old game that's for sure.

Happy birthday! I still remember what a mess it was at launch.

Not sure how much better it is today.

Is there any other software game still being played in the same numbers after ten straight years, I wonder?

theres a few out there. world of warcraft 12th anniversary is next month and they still have around 5 million subscribers or so. counterstrike is almost 16 years and has 300k users on steam last month..

but it's a pretty small list for sure.

cheers

-andy crosby

Falcon 4.0 AKA Falcon BMS...community is thousands strong.

• Upvote 1

Happy birthday FSX! What a great decade. Exactly October 10, 2006 FSX was released.

Well it's actually a said day because it reminds of the two years cycle we had back then with a "new" flight simulator

(we would be now at FS15). Lucky us the community is still going strong :-)

Happy Birthday, from FS2004, your 13 year old brother. Yup, we still going very strong. Not quite forgotten yet. :hi: 

M$ Train Sim might hold the record. Not 100% sure. Released in 2001. Been morphed to Open Rails. P3D of the TS world.

Exactly October 10, 2006 FSX was released....

I was one of the lucky few who's local Best Buy store decided to put FSX on the shelves early - on October 4th, 2006.

Going way back in the wayback machine to the AVSIM thread from that day.

Fun times... fun times!

Ah, FSX. What a train wreck your RTM version was. How much I've spent on computer hardware for you. How disappointingly you occasionally still run. How much time I sank, and still sink into you that I consider you a prime candidate for a "Ruined my life" award. And still, there's nothing better than you out there. I love you. To the next ten*!

*Or at least until DTFS. Or a polished FlightGear. Or Aerofly 3.

Btw:

Starcraft was released in 1998 and still receives official Patches(!) mostly just because it's very popular for e-sport in Korea.

Freespace still receives community updates.

It took years for hardware to catch up,  to process the much higher levels of visual detail that FSX introduced.

As far as I am concerned, an Intel Haswell+ processor and a nvidia GTX770+ video card will run FSX very well indeed. :smile:

Now, if you add on complex aircraft, traffic, weather, airports etc you can break this 10 year old program.. but that is hardly FSX's fault  :nea:

I spent more time fixing and tweaking FSX than I did flying it...andso thank gawd for P3D.

Happy b-day and thank's for the many awesome memories. Your time has past and it's time for others to take your crown. So rest peacefully. 

Still using the deluxe (and later the acceleration) disk set bought all those years ago.  Too bad the devs completely mis-estimated the trajectory of CPU development...but at least it was good enough to withstand the test of time.  One thing to consider is if you took all the addons now taken as absolute must haves today and put it all in an FSX install on a dual core AMD 4800+ X2 (smokin' rig for 2006), the term slide show would probably be an overstatement.