Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Microsoft Agrees they were too Aggressive!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Windows 10 with P3D worries me.  It does more than worry me.  I see all of the problems and think it'd be a lot less trouble if they got Windows 7.  Eventually, we all have to switch over but I hope things stabilize before then.

Pain with Win 10 was truly one of the low lights of 2016 for me (first world problems, eh?).  I had weeks of mental trauma caused by problems with Win 10, due to being forced to upgrade.

One example:  Defender identifies a "virus" in a DLL that comes with Flight 1's C162. Defender goes crazy and deactivates the DLL, which the addon can not operate without. No problem, just add an exception to Defender for the DLL you say?    Did that.  And Defender, on reactivating itself happily ignored the exception and basically forcibly retired that addon from my being able to use it.

I'm currently on a 'ceasefire' with Win 10, but the lack of control over things like Windows Defender still sticks in my throat, and if there was a pain free way to go back in time to Win 7, I'd jump in a heartbeat.

Innovation is good. But treating customer like children and insisting "we always know best" and forcing certain features (or even the upgrade itself) is not so good.

I still suspect that there was more than meets the eye to what MS did with Windows 10, but what the heck, I don't have anything to hide.

By the way... 6+ months running FSX:SE and P3D under Windows 10 with out issue!

Windows 10 with P3D worries me.  It does more than worry me.  I see all of the problems and think it'd be a lot less trouble if they got Windows 7.  Eventually, we all have to switch over but I hope things stabilize before then.

No problems here at all with P3D 3.4 running under Win 10. I actually really like Win 10.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Funny I just posted in another thread about my system running great until the Dec updates. Been smooth as butter and all of a sudden BSOD left and right. Long story short reinstalled and updated and all seem well now. I am starting to think LM and some of the developers are getting blamed for some MS screw ups. Imagine that!! LOL

I hear W10 is highly snoopy and big brother.

It is VERY Snoopy and Big Brothery HOWEVER you can shutdown a lot of the snooping in the Control Panel.  And the stuff you can't shutoff there can be shutoff by following a few guides such as completely totally absolutely disabling Cortana!   DO NOT use this evil program.   It collects TONS of data on you as you use it.   Don't let Microsoft get access to your life through this gadget of theirs.   In the words of Admiral Ackbar;  "IT'S A TRAP!"

0ff2ac98d64c91b6fa1017b61f332dd0.jpg

Like Google, Windows 10 won't violate your privacy.  LOL!  Just kidding!  Being sarcastic, etc., etc.  The other day I sent my football pool entry to my friend using my gmail account.  Told my friend my entries are attached and then hit the 'Send' button w/o adding the attachment.  Google did not send the e-mail and instead gave me a popup warning stating "it appears you forgot to include an attachment".  I added the attachment and sent the e-mail.  But that's pretty slick where their computers are reading our e-mails and helping us old guys when we forget to do what we say we will do in an e-mail. 

The Windows cookie machine is getting more and more powerful because commercial entities, including Microsoft, want more money and anyway they can get it.  They say the cookies will not violate your privacy but they are getting more and more sophisticated.

Best regards,

Jim

No problems here at all with P3D 3.4 running under Win 10. I actually really like Win 10.

Peter

+1

happy xmas to you all

Peter

ommercial entities, including Microsoft, want more money and anyway they can get it. They say the cookies will not violate your privacy but they are getting more and more sophisticated.

Would you mean Mega Data?  With it they can make fine wine OR, wreck your life!

Happy New Year!

BaldyB

I used this video to sort out alot of the intrusive concerns about W10.  Jerry is extremely hyper but extremely knowledgeable.  Ex-MS employee too

• Upvote 2

I've been a Mac user for years, but I recently switched to Windows for gaming and simulators so I can use the latest and greatest. The computer came with Windows 10, and god it's awful :Tounge: . What were they thinking making the start menu go full-screen (They also do this on their server oses which drives me mad)

I remember Windows 7 being pretty nice and I had it on a virtual machine, but 10 is just terrible and seems to get in the way of the user. The worst was all the sneaky things they have enabled by default and the inability to stop it installing updates. Some things I did to "fix" my install were to install Classic Shell to get the old start menu back and this utility (https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases), which is fantastic and removed all the rubbish and switched off the spying. I almost have a sane OS again  :smile:

I have w7 on my macihine and I wont be upgrading anytime soon. Been windows 10 user (laptop) since it rolled out, biggest issue for me is the backwards compitability of w10. Even emulators didnt work for me running some games and some hardware,

The computer came with Windows 10, and god it's awful :Tounge: . What were they thinking making the start menu go full-screen (They also do this on their server oses which drives me mad)

That is not the default behaviour Tony,  but it's a simple setting change to get the start menu back to a normal size, the windows 10 start menu really has a lot more functionality than  "classic shell" once you get used to it.

start.jpg

That fullscreen stuff is indeed awful, but it was introduced in Windows 8 (which I didn't like), not in Win 10. In Win 10 you can use fullscreen or a more traditional desktop screen, which is what I do. I have also disables all the spying stuff and Cortana.

Happy Holidays,

Peter

The upgrade dialog was changed in such a way that the red cross, normally used to close a dialog or to cancel something, now had the same effect as the OK button.

I don't think that I can find the right words to describe an error of this magnitude. Unbelievably stupid would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

The only issue I have with Windows 10 is it totally destroyed my Level D 767 and the developer has no fix.

Hi Folks,

Yep - destroyed the Coolsky MD80's as well - the developer won't even install WIN10 to work on it...

Drivers for less than the latest hardware has been a nightmare...

Regards,
Scott

I love Windows 10. Best version up to now. I don't understand all the hatred. Great system. Take note that I am also a Mac user (on a daily basis since around 1990) and I wouldn't think about getting a Mac for home use now. Some 15 years ago I may have doubted about that but not anymore. I always have to smile about the people who are saying their (too expensive) Mac is so advanced and more user friendly. LOL My home PC beats the crap out of my work Mac in all possible ways. Macs are always lagging behind.

Concerning the spying: don't fool yourself. If you care about your privacy, do not use internet.

• Upvote 1

I have absolutely not one problem with P3D and Windows 10...

The key is to do a full install, not an upgrade. Since Windows Vista, Microsoft has billed the upgrade option as comparable to a full install of a new OS, but upgrading leaves around old drivers, files, etc. that cause problems.

Hi Folks,

Yep - destroyed the Coolsky MD80's as well - the developer won't even install WIN10 to work on it...

Drivers for less than the latest hardware has been a nightmare...

Regards,

Scott

True about the Cool Sky buy Leonardos Fly The Maddog seems to work fine with W10.