Harvgordon

Preciption Windshield Effect lua script found in P3D V4 folder.

Hi there,

This is not my discovery, I saw the news on the Facebook and I posted here to share with you.

http://i.imgur.com/lxiHAjz.png

http://i.imgur.com/QWvaFQT.png

If you open up the Script folder under the P3D V4 directory. This is a default folder, you will find there is a .lua script file called "PrecipWindshieldEffect.lua"

Open this file with Notepad or Notepad++. You can see how it was coded with a detailed description of its usage. Of course, you can understand the description if you can read English.

Clearly, LM does have the plan to implement this rain and snow windshield effect into the sim, maybe we are able to see this effect in the next update. Many people may be interested in this effect so I shared this news to the forum.

Cheers,

Gordon

• Upvote 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Did you try putting it next to Fsuipc v5 ?  Then add it in the fsuipc.ini file. It then might work right away..

The script works, ( played with it over the weekend) but is something that needs to be implemented by aircraft developers. 

2 minutes ago, Dave CBFS said:

The script works, ( played with it over the weekend) but is something that needs to be implemented by aircraft developers. 

Yes. I just flew the Flysimware Mitsubishi during a rain shower and there was rain on windscreen effect. Nice looking too. Not over done.

5 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Yes. I just flew the Flysimware Mitsubishi during a rain shower and there was rain on windscreen effect. Nice looking too. Not over done.

Got pics? 

How do you get this to work, already?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Pics please. 

Interesting... how's the FPS hit? The usual argument against precipitation effects are that the whole thing would turn into a slide-show... 

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Umm, doesn't that plane have windscreen rain effects built in?

Following...

gb.

Also following this, cough PMDG cough ;)

It's have to be implemented by the aircraft dev, or at least you'd have to somehow map the effect to the windshield. No idea how :)

1 hour ago, rdtv91 said:

Also following this, cough PMDG cough ;)

precipitFX too

It should be available for the QotS II yeah.

4 hours ago, RancidViper said:

Umm, doesn't that plane have windscreen rain effects built in?

Yes

• Upvote 1

A little bit disappointed. The script in lua shows that it still use texture for effect, just like FS9.

1 hour ago, Silenced said:

A little bit disappointed. The script in lua shows that it still use texture for effect, just like FS9.

Uh, why? That's how just about every 3rd party developer adds the effect. A user here at AVSIM even posted a DIY guide as to how to add the effect to any aircraft. If one looks at how RealAir did it, it is just a 15 frame slideshow of semi-transparent raindrop textures that get applied to the glass when rain is detected in the sim. The windshield  and side widows have different textures. Some aircraft use different  textures when they are moving versus stationary.

1 hour ago, Silenced said:

There still isn't any physical raindrops simulated in ESP. So what exactly did you expect?

A waterflow physics simulation where the speed and direction of the raindrops flowing over the windshield react to changes in airspeed, yaw and AOA?  :huh:

56 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

A waterflow physics simulation where the speed and direction of the raindrops flowing over the windshield react to changes in airspeed, yaw and AOA?  :huh:

Considering what we've had so far I think many people myself included would be happy for any kind of precipitation effects on the windshield.

I always found it looking very weird to fly through heavy rain without a single trace of it on the windshield. And those wipers...not even sure why some developers bothered simulating them when you at the same time never will have any actual use for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

You mean like in FSW?

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

A user here at AVSIM even posted a DIY guide as to how to add the effect to any aircraft. 

Have that link handy?

It may be getting hidden in the search results since this issue is talked about often.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, CrownCityMisfits said:

Have that link handy?

It may be getting hidden in the search results since this issue is talked about often.

Thanks!

Look through this thread for posts by user Bjoern:

Although he posted several videos of how he added rain effects to the glass, I don't think he actually posted any code (LUA and/or XML) unless it's in a different thread that I can no longer find.

• Upvote 1

I just think that the raindrop effect will run like FSW. or FSW is also texture only? Hope someone can explain to me.