Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
rheinis

For Once And For All...who wants to pay for a new PMDG MD-11?

MD-11 Poll  

574 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like an MD-11?

    • Yes
      461
    • No
      113


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Boomer said:

Shouldn't be too hard to port the existing product to p3dv4...?

And you know this how???

The MD-11 was released in 2008. It's most likely ancient code, which "just can't" be ported/converted into a 64-bit environment. Even with the new products, code optimization/changing is required if it is to run well. Mainly due to changes of how memory is handled.

To be honest, I think it would be quite a monumental task to re-visit a piece of highly complex software, which was coded nearly a decade ago. Most of the code probably so old, that it's been forgotten by developers. This is also why there's problems executing the code on newer operating systems (like Windows 10). A re-write or optimization of the code, would most likely be so difficult, that it would be faster (and more efficient) to just start from scratch.

I'm terribly sorry for being so blunt, but it's comments like these, which makes me wonder, if flight-sim customers even have the slightest idea of how software development works... 

But if it's such an easy job, why don't you get started on that...


Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--
____________________
Scandinavian VA

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

And you know this how???

The MD-11 was released in 2008. It's most likely ancient code, which "just can't" be ported/converted into a 64-bit environment. Even with the new products, code optimization/changing is required if it is to run well. Mainly due to changes of how memory is handled.

To be honest, I think it would be quite a monumental task to re-visit a piece of highly complex software, which was coded nearly a decade ago. Most of the code probably so old, that it's been forgotten by developers. This is also why there's problems executing the code on newer operating systems (like Windows 10). A re-write or optimization of the code, would most likely be so difficult, that it would be faster (and more efficient) to just start from scratch.

I'm terribly sorry for being so blunt, but it's comments like these, which makes me wonder, if flight-sim customers even have the slightest idea of how software development works... 

But if it's such an easy job, why don't you get started on that...

You kind of summed up my own thoughts in that post - although I'd add that not only is the MD-11 old code for FSX, even then it was a port to FSX from FS2004, and never saw an update for 32 bit P3D, making it an even tougher job to bring forward.

  • Upvote 1

Mark Fox

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, markdf said:

You kind of summed up my own thoughts in that post - although I'd add that not only is the MD-11 old code for FSX, even then it was a port to FSX from FS2004, and never saw an update for 32 bit P3D, making it an even tougher job to bring forward.

That's very true... a third-generation-port might be too much... 


Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--
____________________
Scandinavian VA

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Share this post


Link to post

YES. I would be happy with the same aircraft still available for FSX.  If P3D, a bonus.


Geoff Bryce

Share this post


Link to post

When the MD-11 was first released, I was nonplussed... why on earth did they make this ugly 3-holer?  But of course it was PMDG so I bought it, read the manuals, got intrigued, read everything I could find on this venerable aircraft, learned about The Douglas Way, and it quickly became my most favorite sim aircraft ever.

I would absolutely love to see the MD-11 come to p3d, but the world is turning and leaving it behind.  We should relish the time we already had but move on to the more modern offerings.  We are actually extremely lucky to have got the 744 now, because in perhaps 4 years there won't be any more passenger ops in the 747.  Even freight is quickly moving to 2 engine frames.  Aviation continues to evolve and as simmers so must we :)


Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, captain_adf said:

We are actually extremely lucky to have got the 744 now, because in perhaps 4 years there won't be any more passenger ops in the 747.

Nah carriers like BA are going to be using their 744s well past that, they're still running 41 744s in their fleet.


Cheers,
Chris Brand
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Nah carriers like BA are going to be using their 744s well past that, they're still running 41 744s in their fleet.

Plus, they just recently equipped a few of them with new wifi-anetnnas.


Ben Rath

Share this post


Link to post

Probably not.

This has nothing to do with PMDG but a lot with the MD-11 as such. I like it and would love to fly it. But I'd fly it only every now and then. Maybe less than 10 times a year and that's too little to rationalize the expense.

cu
Roman

 

Share this post


Link to post

Cant believe thread is still going! If only this sample voting was cast wider beyond avsim.  But reality is, this topic should be changed with PMDG omitted and asked if you just want MD-11 from XYZ developer.  PMDG have no interest in it period.  Put your hopes in TFDI otherwise it will have to be in xplane11

  • Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png
 

Share this post


Link to post

IMO a waste of time and resources.

I REALLY love the MD11 but let's face it, the real airplane is as good as 120 frames and not getting any younger. Over the next 5 years, cargo outfits would start replacing them with newer generation airplanes.

PMDG doesn't really release something without a previous important development process. How much did it take the 777X to be developed? The NGX? QOTSII??

Do we really want to have a MD11 V2, with development started today from scratch (because it will be from scratch), and released maybe in 2020?

I guess resources should be better invested elsewhere. Don't know where, but not in the MD11. As sad as it makes me be.


Santiago de Larminat

Share this post


Link to post

md 11 still in use today days


Fernando A. Maldonado

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    34%
    $8,560.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...