Parping Couplet

Flight Simming - The Hobby That Always Under-Delivered - Until Now

Am I the only person on here who has never enjoyed this hobby more since fully switching over to P3D V4 from V3 when the NGX was made available for the new sim?

I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember and, quite frankly, it has always under-delivered until now. The inability of computers to recreate a totally realistic flight experience in the years leading up to FSX and then the massive hassle that was living with the technical shortcomings of that, essentially abandoned, platform. Then the 32-bit limitations of the first three versions of P3D that, although each gave a better result than its predecessor, still couldn't provide an OOM-less virtual world.

And now, with the advent of V4 and increasing compatibility of more classic add-ons every few days, at last I'm in my sweet spot, knowing that any flight I instigate will be completed without question and in the most graphically stunning and stable environment.

This is truly the moment an always great hobby finally delivers on its promise.

Good news for simmers and for the flight sim industry. There's a great and exciting future ahead.

Bring it on!

• Upvote 11

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just now, Parping Couplet said:

Am I the only person on here who has never enjoyed this hobby more since fully switching over to P3D V4 from V3 when the NGX was made available for the new sim?

I've been in this hobby more years than I care to remember and, quite frankly, it has always under-delivered until now. The inability of computers to recreate a totally realistic flight experience in the years leading up to FSX and then the massive hassle that was living with the technical shortcomings of that, essentially abandoned platform. Then the 32-bit limitations of the first three versions of P3D that, although each gave a better result than its predecessor, still couldn't provide an OOM-less virtual world.

And now with V4 and increasing compatibility of classic add-ons every few days and at last I'm in my sweet spot, knowing that any flight I instigate will be completed without question and in the most graphically stunning and stable environment.

This is truly the moment an always great hobby finally delivers on its promise.

Good news for simmers and for the flight sim industry. There's a great and exciting future ahead.

Bring it on!

I couldn`t agree more. The flightsimming future looks bright!

• Upvote 1

I've been on hiatus for about 3 years as I finally gave up and refused to invest in hardware supporting the 32-bit platform. But as soon as I heard the rumors of possible v4 and 64-bit, I started monitoring the community and it pulled me right back in. Some of the flights I've been taking within the last few weeks have been absolutely breathtaking in terms of the immersion. I will probably still whine about some things in the platform like the ATC and stuff, but overall the comeback have been strong with a decent amount of holy s**t in it. 

• Upvote 4

I trimmed fsx steam to no ai traffic, autogen sparse, and other eye candy and could run the pmdg 777 and 747 on a long haul using all my addons. BUT I had to disable Orbx regions. In v4 I can enable everything. I am glad I moved up to P3D after v4 released. spent a lot of money lately though!

And think some day we might all look back at P3DV4 and say wow that sim while good for its day sure doesn't cut it anymore....just like FSX when it arrived on the scene and we moved from FS9.

Surely what we need is another poetic eulogy about P3Dv4 experiences from Carl Avari-Cooper:biggrin:

I have been addicted to flight simulator since early 2000 and now I still look back once in a while, the pictures I took in Fs9 years ago still great joy to watch. Realistic 2D panel, wingflex, nose gear turning on ground. Animated jetways (Simflyer airports if you still remember, where are they now?). Meljet B777 and B747 with bunch of animations...so on and so on.

Such a long journey! What we have now is already beyond amazing.

It's nice that we are seeing some movement and progression in flight simming recently. Whilst it's not quite exactly the same, it reminds me a bit of (20-30 years ago) when you had Microprose and Janes making all kinds of dedicated combat sims (seemed like there was a new one every week lol), and civil-aviation wise at that time you had Fly! Flight Unlimited, XPlane and MSFS, some of which started to see aircraft with FMC/CDUs and EFIS modelled, photorealistic terrain started showing up and PMDG knocked out their first aeroplane too. It was cool and exciting to be into flight sims: When I finally got a decent simulation of a DC-3 with some good scenery and mesh, I remember thinking, yup, now we're starting to get there.

With quite a few choices for civil sims now: FSX-SE, FSW, P3D and XPlane, plus more esoteric offerings such as TOH, Condor and Silent Wings for choppers and gliders, and with DCS taking on the role which Janes and Microprose used to fill for military sim fans, it's almost like being back in those flight-sim glory days at the moment. it's quite a contrast from only a few years back when MS dropped FS development and we were stuck with very few options. That was a real bummer of a time to be into flight sims.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more I've never enjoyed the sim since 2000 more than now. If the boys at fsl ever release the 320 it will be the icing on the cake 🎂.   Then once aerosoft get that 330 out it Will be an awesome winter.  My only heartache is seeing people not willing to install it correctly then complaining it doesn't run.

I work 4 days on 4 days off and its the first time in 10 years I can do a my 4 days off flying without having to shout at ooms and ctds when I turn dome lights on.  

I can actually do a 10 hour virgin flight to Las Vegas and not worry about not getting there and wasting a day

As I type I'm current on finals to egkk using 4096 textures   orbx England,  full ai,  in the 747 x and no oom dings.  that would of been impossible in v3.4 

• Upvote 3

I have never been happier with flightsimming than I am now.  I say that periodically, but every time I say it, it's more true than the previous time - because it gets better and better.  The elimination of OOM's is huge....HUGE.  

Personally, I never had a OOM in V3.3.5 using SimStarter NG and moderate sim settings. V4 looks and "feels" better though.

While FSX sceneries and addons could be used more than 10 years, I doubt that this will be the case for V4. That would require a backward compatibility for V5, V6, etc... But we will see. I am excited too.

• Upvote 1

I haven't upgraded to v4 yet. Is it mainly the lack of OOMs and being able to turn the sliders up, or does it actually look and feel that much better?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, thefrog said:

I haven't upgraded to v4 yet. Is it mainly the lack of OOMs and being able to turn the sliders up, or does it actually look and feel that much better?

I have v4 and switched back from XP11 for it.  But, it's really 64-bit FSX with some improvements that took place in the previous three versions.  If you didn't know that it was a new version and you made a short flight, you really couldn't see anything different on your screen(s).  That's not so bad; FSX was pretty good.  But, I hope to see some improvements in some basic things like ATC and other issues that haven't been touched since 2006.

9 minutes ago, thefrog said:

Theres a good video by froggle about it.  The oom elimination element is HUGE and the main draw.  However you cannot move all those sliders to the right.  You have to remember it's fsx on steroids.  64 bit doesn't eliminate stutters and popping when the sliders on max, but it does eliminate Ooms,  thats the kicker.  You can do pan views till your hearts content and know it won't oom, ever 

3 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I have v4 and switched back from XP11 for it.  But, it's really 64-bit FSX with some improvements that took place in the previous three versions.  If you didn't know that it was a new version and you made a short flight, you really couldn't see anything different on your screen(s).  That's not so bad; FSX was pretty good.  But, I hope to see some improvements in some basic things like ATC and other issues that haven't been touched since 2006.

He's right I could show you videos and screenshot and tell you it was v3.4 and you be none the wiser.   The trick is the oom elimination,  which for me is priceless and orgasmic

I reformatted my drive and only have one sim now. P3D v4. IMHO is the best sim EVER created! Punto Y Final.

• Upvote 2

Did a flight from FT EHAM to T2G EDDM yesterday, in heavy weather, in the 777, with OTBX North Germany, Vector etc., the whole Europe covered by VATSIM ATC.

Smooth framerates, great visuals, heavy clouds, the sun going down....

I am more then happy with v4. All I nned now is FS2Crew for the 737 and I am still hoping for the QW 787.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

It's nice that we are seeing some movement and progression in flight swimming recently. Whilst it's not quite exactly the same, it reminds me a bit of (20-30 years ago) when you had Microprose and Janes making all kinds of dedicated combat sims (seemed like there was a new one every week lol)., and civil-aviation wise at that time you had Fly! Flight Unlimited, XPlane and MSFS, some of which started to see aircraft with FMC/CDUs and EFIS modelled, photorealistic terrain started showing up and PMDG knocked out their first aeroplane too. It was cool and exciting to be into flight sims then: When I finally got a decent simulation of a DC-3 with some good scenery and mesh, I remember thinking, yup, now we're starting to get there.

With quite a few choices for civil sims now: FSX-SE, FSW, P3D and XPlane, plus more esoteric offerings such as TOH, Condor and Silent Wings for choppers and gliders, and with DCS taking on the role which Janes and Microprose used to fill for military sim fans, it's almost like being back in those flight-sim glory days at the moment. it's quite a contrast from only a few years back when MS dropped FS development and we were stuck with very few options. That was a real bummer of a time to be into flight sims.

jxbews.jpgLate 90s early 00s was such a fun time for flight simming. Had all of the sims you mentioned above @Chock. Fly! had a particularly special place in my heart with Richard Harvey being such an active part of the Avsim community. And if memory serves me right PMDG really came into the scene with the Fly! series. And lest we forget one of the most die-hard communities here at Avsim for Sierra Pro Pilot. Ah good times....now get off my lawn you young punks :biggrin:

Honestly it is pretty amazing what has been done with 3rd party help even over the near absence of major developers for a few years. My CFI in the late 90s told me to stay away from sims. I would develop bad habits. Wonder what he'd think now!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Did a flight from FT EHAM to T2G EDDM yesterday, in heavy weather, in the 777, with OTBX North Germany, Vector etc., the whole Europe covered by VATSIM ATC.

Smooth framerates, great visuals, heavy clouds, the sun going down....

I am more then happy with v4. All I nned now is FS2Crew for the 737 and I am still hoping for the QW 787.

FS2Crew for the NGX in P3Dv4 was released yesterday. 

4 hours ago, tooting said:

He's right I could show you videos and screenshot and tell you it was v3.4 and you be none the wiser.

Then you aren't using P3D V4 right.  Sorry folks, but if you can't tell the visual difference with these new features:

1.  HDR
2.  Autogen loading distances (MUCH MUCH further)
3.  Higher Terrain texture resolution further out (go to any mountain location at it'll be VERY obvious)
4.  Dynamic Lights - volumetric that actually light up objects, terrain, buildings and your aircraft
5.  Cloud Shadows
6.  Native support for SSAA
7.  Dynamic Reflections - airport building glass, water puddles, aircraft fuselage reflects the actual 3D world around it not some faked global map
8.  Improved visibility layers and clouds
9.  Volumetric fog
10.  Enhanced precipitation effects
11.  Tessellation 

and more ... 

I don't see how anyone could call that "the same as FSX" with a straight face?

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 7

Agree 100% with Rob! I notice it especially when I leave from my home base KBUR.  With my settings in V3 I never really had a problem with OOM's. I'd occasionally get one but that's it. My main complaint, having flown in that area IRL for many years was the visibility. 

NOW, in v4 I can see the LA Basin clear to the ocean. For the first time in a long while, this sim takes my breath away with some of the visuals. It's a FAR cry from FSX, even with  a bunch of add ons.

The lengthening shadows of the trees as the sun goes down, the lighting.... nope, the SAME as FSX?  NOT!

Vic

I tested most of the P3D versions and was not impressed with the performance or visuals. P3D v4 looks amazing and at airports like FlyTampa Toronto I can check all the boxes in the config and still maintain excellent performance without a CTD. Simply amazing and nothing like FSX.

• Upvote 1

Simply amazing yes, once fsl comes out it Will be out of this world.... Come on FSL!!!!