captain420

My P3D is loading up extremely slow

Posted (edited)

I just noticed this today, it wasn't this bad prior to this. It started happening after I installed Rex Skyforce 3D, and when I had to reinstall my FSDT addon manager and airports all over again. Not sure if any of those had anything to do with it. But a restart of windows still won't fix the slow loading issue. The very 1st time I start up my sim after a reboot will take maybe around 15 minutes, and then every time after that maybe 11 minutes. P3D loads up to about 6% and then this is where it slows down a lot, at this point it stays here for about 7 minutes before it the percentage starts increasing. It's loading the terrain at this stage. It's the terrain loading that takes the longest. I never had it load this slow before. I even tried to force the unilclookup feature in FTX central to see if that would fix it. But it also didn't. I'm running out of ideas on what it could be.

This is the scenario. I launch Rex Skyforce 3D, then Active Sky, and then it loads up ASCA automatically. Then I load up P3D which then also loads up Chaseplane. I am using AS as the weather engine, and Rex for textures, I have all textures in ASCA unchecked, it just loads up automatically because of AS. I have no control over that, and I leave Rex open because I have the following options checked. It was recommended on a YouTube tutorial I saw. So I'm not sure if this is optimal.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Edited by captain420

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

How long does it take to start up P3D without all those external addons? Did you try that? I once had loading issues with a corrupted terrain.cfg, but never found a solution until I completely re-installed the whole sim. Not that nice, but at least it worked again as intended...

True, it's nearly always addons that cause this.

• Like 1

Just incase it is a corrupted terrain file, how do I fix that without having to reinstall the entire sim again?

Okay I tried it without loading those add-ons and the time came out the same, roughly 11 minutes to load up. Sigh. So it's not the addons that's causing it, it has to be something else. What do you guys suggest I do to try and pinpoint what the cause may be?

I'm thinking it has to do with the textures, because that's what's taking the longest to load...  I'm starting to think it could be a corrupted file. Because I remember while I was trying to activate my FSDT addons while in the sim, and the FSDT addon window froze, and P3D also froze and I had to force quit out of the app. I wonder if that might've corrupted anything or could cause the issue of why things are loading so slow now. 😞 Sigh. Everything was working great. It's always something. I just took a break from flight simming to come back and have to deal with endless tinkering again. I feel like just giving up on flight simming, there's just too many problems I end up running into.

Would you happen to have messed with affinity masks or something recently as well? Perhaps turned off hyperthreading? I know turning that off, or masking it off with an AM, will significantly increase the load times for me.

Sethos, I know for a fact that I didn't mess with any of those settings. But I noticed strange texture loading problems when flying.

Affinity Mask or TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP set to 9 or 10 could cause this. Also, try to rebuild scenery cfg and scenery indexes -  delete scenery.cfg inside C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4(make a backup first, just in case)and all files inside C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64.

Maybe Prepar3D.cfg should be rebuilded too. Some addons could add tweaks to this file

Posted (edited)

Just delete prepar3d.cfg and scenery.cfg

Edited by nas123

clearing your shader cache might help too

On my P3Dv4.2 setup, the total loading time is 1 min, 35 secs, measured by stopwatch and to me it looks like it last forever.

Cheers, Ed

Very slow loading times can also occur if the simulator is trying to find a file that has been deleted/corrupted...

Lots of installed AI packages has a big impact too.

Currently I'd estimate it takes approx. 10-15min for my sim to launch, quickly change airport/aircraft then load. Which sometimes is kinda putting me of wanting to fly

• Like 1

Same here, my sim takes over 10 minutes to launch, i think it is caused by lots of sceneries, ai-traffic, Orbx stuff etc. Patience is the key it seems 😉

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Litmoose said:

Lots of installed AI packages has a big impact too.

Well, depending on the AI addon in use. UTL for instance doesn't work with bgl's and doesn't have this problem.

Another idea for Aaron: did you by any chance use the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP tweak and have it at 10? That will make P3D load for ages. 

EDIT
Oops, I see Zeljko already suggested that.

Edited by J van E

Thanks to everyone for giving me advice here. I will try all of them as a last resort, and if all else fails. I think I will do a fresh clean install of P3D when v4.3 comes out. Sigh, I really hope it doesn't come down to that because it would be really painful to have to reinstall and configure all my add-ons again. 😞

Yes I have already confirmed that I am not using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10, mine has always been at 8. And I never had these extreme slow loading issues before. Like Chris had mention, I really am starting to believe that the problem is terrain related, because this is the point that it slows down during loading. Is there a way to put it in debug mode so that we can get a log of exactly what P3D is doing in the background while it loads up? This should help me pinpoint where the problem is. I know in X-Plane there's a log that gets created whenever you load the sim up and is very helpful in seeing whats wrong. Does P3D have anything like this?

Now considering I have ORBX Global add-ons such as Global, Vector, openLC, etc. If I did have some problems with my terrain.cfg file and decide to delete it and let P3D create a new one. Would I have to reinstall just Global, Vector and openLC, or does that mean I have to reinstall all my addons over again? But first I must figure out what's causing this issue. The reason I think it's terrain related is because when I flew yesterday over KIAH, heading towards south, I saw a lot of strange textures, like water, and then certain textures loading on top of one another. I didn't recall seeing this before. Would force shutting down P3D while FSDT's addon manager window popped open and got stuck have anything to do with the terrain.cfg file? I am starting to think that when I did that, that P3D was in the middle of writing to that file or something.

Okay I did those 3 things that Elaine mentioned, deleted my Shaders folder, Prepar3D.cfg, and SceneryIndexes_x64 folder and my sim is still loading slow. So it's not any of those causing it. The only other logical thing I can think of is it has to be the terrains.cfg or something related to that. I'm noticing a lot of strange land textures in the wrong places and some of them keep changing as well. Sigh, so if its due to a corrupted terrain.cfg, what's the best and most efficient way to go about fixing this without having to reinstall P3D all over again? Would I just have to reinstall ORBX Global, Vector, openLC or do I need to reinstall everything from ORBX all over again?

Aaron - sounds like "something"  is messed up somewhere. Really, since 4.3 is due to drop you EASIEST and safest option is to do a complete reinstall. You can spend days spinning your wheels trying to track this down or spend an hour and do it the hard way - just reinstall.

For now, Orbx and PMDG and a few others have to stay in the P3D folder - too easy to mess up royally by trying to move them. Many installers already use the xml method, many can manually be rerouted and many cannot. For now, we just have to live with the mixup.

Just clean install and get back to enjoying FLYING not installing.

Vic

Posted (edited)

I think I manage to find out what the problem is. I deleted my Scenery.cfg and terrains.cfg from C:\ProgamData folder and the sim started up fast, in 1 minute, and i had no issues with weird textures and stuff...

But when I ran P3D again, there was this pop up that said Autogen Configuration Merger or something, and it asked me to restart p3d in order for any changes to be reflected, so I did. and after this was when the problem came back! P3D is back to loading slow again. Does anyone know what this autogen merger is?

It seems to be writing or doing something to my Scenery.cfg file it seems. Because everytime I erase my Scenery.cfg file and restart the game, the problem goes away. But when I install certain add-ons and run P3D, this Autogen Configuration Merger thing pops up, and after that is when the problem seems to begin again.

Also I don't recall installing any of these in my install, 

Scenery\Cities\Rockhampton

Scenery\Cities\Kennedy_Space_Center

Scenery\Cities\Orlando

After I delete my Scenery.cfg and run P3D it always says it cant find those areas and asks me if I would like to unload them, so I hit yes. Why do they keep appearing in my Scenery.cfg in the first place?

Edited by captain420

Posted (edited)

uncheck Autogen Configuration Merger from addons menu too,🙄 it's required  from fiew scenerys only...(skiathos,mauritius etc)  run ones ftx central  before p3d restart...

Edited by iliasr